Diabetics R Us

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That would be lovely. I will remind you about it nearer the time. :)
The time to start the work to make it happen is about now, if there are people who would like the experience of sailing in the Netherlands. I'm positive I can get the ship pretty cheap, but I'm not sure there are enough people on this forum who want to join and make the trip to Harlingen. We'll need about 14 people minimum with a max. of 24 (or 40, if I ask my other skipper-bestie as well).
The good thing is that we won't need to hire a cook, as we're a bunch of know-it-alls with food, and have a lot experience between us with diabetes-friendly (be it low-carb or knowing the exact carb-content) party-food!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I had a minor triumph yesterday. I have long known the benefits of eating salmon but I cannot abide seafood of any kind. It is high in O3, high in protein and has great fats too, it's just a shame about the smell and the taste and the texture. Anyhoo, my youngest tried a new recipe off t'interwebs and the smells coming from downstairs were making me drool, salmon fishcakes with Asian spices. So, I did it, I had one and it was so tasty! The little bits of onion and herbs disguised the texture. I might try it again next year!

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you all getting jealous of me if I tell you the weather looks to be great for the weekend around here and I'm going to be sailing on a traditional Dutch flat bottomed ship for three days?

I'm jealous. Sounds fantastic, hope you and the dogs have a great time!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
A friend of mine sailed on the STS Lord Nelson a few years ago and she says it was the experience of a life time. I'd be tempted but my sea going days are over I think.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, that makes four of us. Only 20 more to go (as 10 of them won't come when it's time for booking the ferry/flight/tunnel) :)

I imagine it's a logistical nightmare to organise, but maybe we could find a way?

There are a lot of reasons why I could tell myself not to sign up for such a thing right now, mostly finances, but if I've got a year's notice I'm sure I can have everything sorted by then.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
A friend of mine sailed on the STS Lord Nelson a few years ago and she says it was the experience of a life time. I'd be tempted but my sea going days are over I think.

My late hubby (mariner) used to say that I would get seasick sitting on damp grass. So, sadly, I would exclude myself from this hugfest cruise.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
My late hubby (mariner) used to say that I would get seasick sitting on damp grass. So, sadly, I would exclude myself from this hugfest cruise.
When first posted as crew on RAF Long range Recovery Launch Sea Otter I was sick as a dog every trip, I remember one night at 2 AM crawling onto the bridge to fix a radio fault the skipper saying to me you will be ok John you get used to it I thought he meant you get used to it and stop being sick, what he actually meant was you get used to being sick.:)

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, that makes four of us. Only 20 more to go (as 10 of them won't come when it's time for booking the ferry/flight/tunnel) :)
Hugs on a boat sounds interesting but not for me I'm afraid. Any spare time I have is spent in our motorhome :D

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@JohnEGreen and @Guzzler , in the fifteen years I've done this job for about 120 days a year with an average of about 22 guests ech day, I've seen about 1 seasick person every two years. We're not sailing on the North Sea but on the Dutch 'Lakes and estuaries', so no high waves, and overnight we won't be sailing but spending our time on an Island or in a small historical village. So don't fear seasickness.
Also, we've done this with all kinds of groups, including 93 year olds, toddlers, people who are blind or deaf, homeless with multiple psychiatric conditions and addictions, and wheel-chair users.
I'm sure we can handle a couple of bad knees and I'm as good as sure no-one will get seasick.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hugs on a boat sounds interesting but not for me I'm afraid. Any spare time I have is spent in our motorhome :D
Sounds like a perfect reason to have a holiday in the Netherlands with your motorhome and go for a couple of days sailing halfway through!

Reactions: AdamJames and heh

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@JohnEGreen and @Guzzler , in the fifteen years I've done this job for about 120 days a year with an average of about 22 guests ech day, I've seen about 1 seasick person every two years. We're not sailing on the North Sea but on the Dutch 'Lakes and estuaries', so no high waves, and overnight we won't be sailing but spending our time on an Island or in a small historical village. So don't fear seasickness.
Also, we've done this with all kinds of groups, including 93 year olds, toddlers, people who are blind or deaf, homeless with multiple psychiatric conditions and addictions, and wheel-chair users.
I'm sure we can handle a couple of bad knees and I'm as good as sure no-one will get seasick.

I got seasick on the Kiel Canal! It's not just rolling seas that can cause it, it also involves sight disturbance and balance. It never stopped me travelling with my hubby but I was always the first on to the gangway to get back my landlegs.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I got seasick on the Kiel Canal! It's not just rolling seas that can cause it, it also involves sight disturbance and balance. It never stopped me travelling with my hubby but I was always the first on to the gangway to get back my landlegs.
Ok. Sounds like you could be that 'one in two years' person. That's sad, because I think you definitely belong at the hugfest.