Diabetics R Us

vradulich

Does the FDA test the devices ? What is the acceptable amount of error ? A 40 point difference less then 2 minutes later seems a little
( a lot ) dangerous .

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Does the FDA test the devices ? What is the acceptable amount of error ? A 40 point difference less then 2 minutes later seems a little
( a lot ) dangerous .

All meters have to pass the same accuracy tests as laid down by the International Standards Organisation. (2016) These must be met 95% of the time.

• Within± 0.83 mmol/L (15mg/dl) of laboratory results at concentrations of under 5.6 mmol/L (101mg/dl)
  • Within ± 15% of laboratory results at concentrations of 5.6 mmol/L or more

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Gorgeous here in rural Lancashire, too. Apart from one short sharp burst of rain 2 days ago, it has been glorious for weeks.

Sorry @Bridie9408 :arghh:

Reactions: heh

icawol625

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m a diabetic type 2 my normal blood count was between 15 - 30 any time of the day ..I got told that I was on the brink of getting type 1 if I didn’t do something about it .. after 5 long years of battling diabetes mines gone into remission.. I joined slimming world 4 months ago lost 3.1/2 stone .. all I did was cut all the rubbish food out .. now my bloods are between 5 n 7 regular..

Reactions: Antje77

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m a diabetic type 2 my normal blood count was between 15 - 30 any time of the day ..I got told that I was on the brink of getting type 1 if I didn’t do something about it .. after 5 long years of battling diabetes mines gone into remission.. I joined slimming world 4 months ago lost 3.1/2 stone .. all I did was cut all the rubbish food out .. now my bloods are between 5 n 7 regular..
Well done! (Type 2 cannot progress to Type 1)

Reactions: icawol625

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you all getting jealous of me if I tell you the weather looks to be great for the weekend around here and I'm going to be sailing on a traditional Dutch flat bottomed ship for three days?
I'm going to get paid for it as well, as I will be the deckhand. Our guests/customers will provide the food, so I don't even need to cook. They will be a family going sailing to celebrate the 70'eth birthday of their mother/grandma/whatever. I feel very lucky I'm on insulin and I suppose I'll need a lot of it this weekend, and never mind the miscalculations and inevitable not ideal blood sugars :)
I'll be cooking sensible meals for which I know how much to inject again next week :)
166732_394280204003300_1707809534_n.jpg

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Nice one! Just to clarify, type 2 can’t progress to type 1, but you can become a type 2 on insulin. T1 is an autoimmune condition characterised by the destruction of the beta cells of the pancreas, and always requires insulin therapy. Type 2 is insulin resistance, and the pancreas overproduces insulin to try and get glucose from the blood into the cells (it’s basically the key that unlocks the door). If not managed well, the pancreas can “burn out”, and you need to inject, but the act of injecting isn’t what makes you type one.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done, keep up the good work! I suppose they meant you were on the brink of having to go on insulin. That doesn't make you type1 but type2 on insulin.
It doesn't matter what it's called, though, what matters is your wonderful achievement!

Reactions: briped

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you all getting jealous of me if I tell you the weather looks to be great for the weekend around here and I'm going to be sailing on a traditional Dutch flat bottomed ship for three days?
I'm going to get paid for it as well, as I will be the deckhand. Our guests/customers will provide the food, so I don't even need to cook. They will be a family going sailing to celebrate the 70'eth birthday of their mother/grandma/whatever. I feel very lucky I'm on insulin and I suppose I'll need a lot of it this weekend, and never mind the miscalculations and inevitable not ideal blood sugars :)
I'll be cooking sensible meals for which I know how much to inject again next week :)
166732_394280204003300_1707809534_n.jpg

I hope your curtains fade. ;)

Joking aside, I'm very envious. Have a wonderful time, but who is looking after all your animals?

Reactions: Antje77

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
We used to have a lot of narrow boat holidays on the canals here. Loved every minute of them, and our dogs (boxers at the time) used to come with us. Sadly we can't sensibly do these holidays now because some of the lock gates disagree with hubby's knees.