derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I didnt mention a food I said carbs. :)
You said that potatoes are one of the worst foods that we can eat..It may be for some, but some Diabetics can eat a small portion of potatoes

Reactions: Daphne917 and rab5

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
The so-called explosion as real as it is you will find is pandemic and not concentrated in carb, fat or sugar loving demographics. Earlier in the thread I linked a list of by country diabetic sufferers. I'll re-link it here for observation.

https://www.indexmundi.com/facts/indicators/SH.STA.DIAB.ZS/rankings

Even Sub Saharan Africa has higher rates of diabetes incidence than the first world. I would not expect sugar and obesity to be a problem in thensavannah lands south of the sand dunes where poverty is a way of life. Western nations don't appear until well down the list with the largest proliferation being small indigenous groupings.

The list shows prevailence, which I would guess the top ones are carb bound. This does not preclude the rate of change or the coherent positions of persons such as Dr Sarah Halberg and many others who I believe to be right that insulin resistance has built up over time down to carbs.

Regarding the Arfrica point I note that many lower prevalences are from there too, the Maasai are not high carb eaters.

These figures are not comfortable:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-prevalence.html

On this thread many agree with your sentiments, I will be sticking with the heavy weight mainstream YouTubers.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You said that potatoes are one of the worst foods that we can eat..It may be for some, but some Diabetics can eat a small portion of potatoes
Diabetics CAN eat potatoes or anything else for that matter but how it affects there blood sugar levels has to be tested to see how it affects individual diabetics
Carol

Reactions: rab5

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think there may be a few on this site that suffer from "orthorexia by proxy".

Reactions: rab5

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The key thing with orthorexia seems to be the mindset of the individual.
The word 'belief' is in every description I have seen.

I avoid/eliminate carbs from my diet because my blood glucose rises to harmful levels if I eat them.
This isn't a woo-woo matter of faith and a prayer. It is a simple matter of evidence as shown on my glucometer screen and my Libre screen. No belief required.

I avoid certain specific foods (gluten, soya) because they trigger equally measurable reactions of food intolerance. Again, no belief required.

Actually, I wonder if the reason orthorexia is not included in the standard definitions in the DSM-5 is because it doesn't need to be. Each individual aspect of the 'condition' can be diagnosed as other conditions already in the DSM-5, such as OCD, panic disorder, various eating disorders and anxiety.

Looking at it like that, I am happy to report that I don't feel any of those apply to me, so I can cheerfully set concerns about orthorexia aside too.
Same! I eat and inject to keep my BG stable on my Libre scans, and I avoid meat, poultry and dairy because if I eat them I can’t breathe. If that’s orthorexia, then so be it...

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
I definitely have it. I’m always checking labels on food packaging. I won’t eat anything too carby. I need to see a doctor ⚕️

Help

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
) Zealot: This discovery is now the only way to live life, and anyone who disagrees is not only wrong, but should be sent to purgatory and has no business disagreeing with them.
Yes certainly some like that that on here

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Low carb diet now sanctioned by the NHS. So, the tide will turn.
Maybe but that does not mean they will all do it. My neighbour who has T2 will certainly not do it he thinks it is total madness to give up things like bread potatoes cereal and wheat stuff.. He does not like green leafy veg and only eats peas he hates salad but he does like pies chips and cake. He said he likes to keep his BG levels around 10 any lower and he feels ill so that is his choice

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
Maybe but that does not mean they will all do it. My neighbour who has T2 will certainly not do it he thinks it is total madness to give up things like bread potatoes cereal and wheat stuff.. He does not like green leafy veg and only eats peas he hates salad but he does like pies chips and cake. He said he likes to keep his BG levels around 10 any lower and he feels ill so that is his choice

Wow

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just out of interest, I wouldn't dream of deliberately offending anyone, are people outside the US (where I guess the spell checker comes from, judging by the corrections I keep having to add to my dictionary) offended by the word, which can also mean excrement?
Nope, not here in the South East of England :)

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I definitely have it. I’m always checking labels on food packaging. I won’t eat anything too carby. I need to see a doctor
emoji67.png
⚕️
When I get in the shower in the morning and reach for my shower gel, I always think the label says ZERO CARB and not ZERO % soap ...... What's that called??????????? Do I have a real problem?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I get in the shower in the morning and reach for my shower gel, I always think the label says ZERO CARB and not ZERO % soap ...... What's that called??????????? Do I have a real problem?
My car is Zero Carb. It is fool injected.........

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
The list shows prevailence, which I would guess the top ones are carb bound. This does not preclude the rate of change or the coherent positions of persons such as Dr Sarah Halberg and many others who I believe to be right that insulin resistance has built up over time down to carbs.

Regarding the Arfrica point I note that many lower prevalences are from there too, the Maasai are not high carb eaters.

These figures are not comfortable:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-prevalence.html

On this thread many agree with your sentiments, I will be sticking with the heavy weight mainstream YouTubers.
Merely guessing that the top ones are carb bound is meaningless. If that guess is correct along with the theoretical position that you appear to be aligned with then the list should reveal a progression from top to bottom of demographics that have dwindling carbohydrate consumption. Of course, this is nonsense. Carbohydrates in dietary makeup is available.
http://chartsbin.com/view/1160
Under scrutiny you will find a great deal of variation between carbohydrate consumption and the relative list of diabetes prevalence. One of the highest cohorts, Indonesia is well down the list while meat heavy Spain has double the incidence of diabetes than spud loving Ireland. Obviously, other factors are at play.

You're welcome to stick with the Youtubers. You are fully entitled to take that position. However, one must be careful when using the relativism argument. I may disagree with you but, if I'm with the data and you are not then the disagreement stands and you are wrong. Data at least has an anchor to reality that withers relativism and for this reason it should always be presented and then only the interpretation of the data should be debated.

Reactions: mountaintom

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Merely guessing that the top ones are carb bound is meaningless. If that guess is correct along with the theoretical position that you appear to be aligned with then the list should reveal a progression from top to bottom of demographics that have dwindling carbohydrate consumption. Of course, this is nonsense. Carbohydrates in dietary makeup is available.
http://chartsbin.com/view/1160
Under scrutiny you will find a great deal of variation between carbohydrate consumption and the relative list of diabetes prevalence. One of the highest cohorts, Indonesia is well down the list while meat heavy Spain has double the incidence of diabetes than spud loving Ireland. Obviously, other factors are at play.

You're welcome to stick with the Youtubers. You are fully entitled to take that position. However, one must be careful when using the relativism argument. I may disagree with you but, if I'm with the data and you are not then the disagreement stands and you are wrong. Data at least has an anchor to reality that withers relativism and for this reason it should always be presented and then only the interpretation of the data should be debated.
Not really I have seen plenty of graphs of say America which show the progress state to state decade after decade. In the programme on fixing diabetes the 20% at risk of Type 2 is hardly to be sniffed at alongside the 1 in 16 already disagnosed. I'm afraid I respect your opinion but this for me does not compete with the YouTubers: Lustig, Hallberg, Fung, Phinney, Knoakes, Cumins, Fung, Erdosi, Bell, Berg, Teicholz, Mutzel, Stapleton, Stoppani, Zinn, Einfield for the sake of brevity I have stopped listing, safe to say this is where I trust what I believe, some are Doctors and Scientists who have studied tens of thousands, so I trust this education - your points are contrary to theirs (I am only quoting the ones I can remember who have videos online with the views I have learned). Again I invite you to search for the Change for Life UK Government advert, it admits that too much sugar turns to fat and can lead to Type 2. If carbs are not the root cause, why was it that on Type 2 Patient Conference course I attended yesterday out of 4 diabetic educators who discussed carb amounts one said the range per meal was 30 to 60 grams over 3 meals and another said 30 to 50, why would there be a new guideline minimum of 90 grams of carbs if there were no problems with the previous figure.

In addition for me it makes sense, to reverse Type 2 you restrict carbs and sugar, carbs and sugar stress the system more that the other macros and cause the biggest insulin response, so it is logical that carbs and sugar are the root cause. We can back on forth on studies and observations such as the prevalence in India and China . I could list real anecdotal accounts of persons in my wife's clinic of whom I type up the notes for, so have built up a mental picture of what they were eating pre-diagnosis, not to mention my own orange juice, grape and banana significant increase over the period of a month just prior to falling off the diabetes cliff.

As for Spain (and I will add Portugal), I have business interests out there and certainly in Valencia and Barcelona, in the mornings the locals open food places are mainly sweet pastries - obviously Spain is large so this might not be typical. I also go to Ireland a lot (I am not making this up, my wife's Mum and Dad live there), so I have been going there for around 10 years, every time we go out for a meal, chips tend to be offered with another carb on the plate. In the past just like in the UK meals were 2 times a day with hard yucker included, in this context I believe the body can handle moderate carb in take up to perhaps 65, which is the circa age persons used to get diabetes.

To say I am wrong, is strong, my view I that I have put forward is a heavily backed position - not my own, put your money where your position is and call out some of the names I have mentioned, perhaps Ivor Cumins. I have not seen one alternative for the correlations I have put, or reason for the causality of Type 2 from yourself, I am aware of inputs from steroids, statins etc. If you are correct then it should be possible to reverse diabetes on potatoes, rice, pasta etc. I have made enough points, so this is where I stop on this thread. It is not a position of rudeness, I am guessing your views have been honed over several years like mine, so you are just as convinced.

Reactions: Guzzler

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
I've spent a fair bit more time than I'd hoped on this thread. I appreciate your input and there's probably not much more to add. I did, as you suggest, review some of the Youtubes listed including Ivor Cummins but not all of them. That would take an inordinate amount of time. They all state what we already know, that carbohydrates raise blood glucose levels in diabetics and go to great lengths to explain the reasons. That is not the issue. I did not hear any of the ones that I've viewed so far come out and categorically state that consuming carbohydrates turns non diabetic people into diabetics. That is, that carbohydrate consumption actually causes diabetes. I have not offered any alternative because I simply don't know what the cause is. I can only look at the available statistics and decide what is not the cause. That is not saying it is not the cause in some cases though. There is much more to this than we know.

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Jazz music, science denial, and running out of coffee.
Same! I eat and inject to keep my BG stable on my Libre scans, and I avoid meat, poultry and dairy because if I eat them I can’t breathe. If that’s orthorexia, then so be it...
That's not orthorexia.

(Not said to you in particular, but said to everyone generally.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.