Injections

Bridie9408

Hi had my check up 2 day with my diabetic doctor and he thinks I have to many low reading's and he wanted me to go on four injections a day and he said that he would give me a patch for my arm so I would not have to prick my finger. I am on humalog mix twice a day and have been for long time and don't want to go on four injections a day. So he has reduced my morning and evening insulin. I would like to know how type 1diabetics feel about four injections and does this help.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi had my check up 2 day with my diabetic doctor and he thinks I have to many low reading's and he wanted me to go on four injections a day and he said that he would give me a patch for my arm so I would not have to prick my finger. I am on humalog mix twice a day and have been for long time and don't want to go on four injections a day. So he has reduced my morning and evening insulin. I would like to know how type 1diabetics feel about four injections and does this help.

I was on Humalog Mix25 for over 3 years and for me it was a pain in the bum. I know that some people like it (I did manage to keep my a1c under control somehow) but I was constantly having highs and lows and struggling with mealtimes - especially lunches.

I find Multiple Daily Injections (MDI) much more flexible for daily diabetes management. If busy I can eat when it becomes convenient and inject exactly the right amount of insulin for my needs. On balance, I greatly prefer MDI to fixed doses.

Hope that helps?

Regards
Urb'

Reactions: Bridie9408
D

Deleted Account

Injecting every time I eat to match what I eat was a massive improvement on my initial insulin regime of twice a day: it gave me so much more freedom to eat what I want, when I want.

As for the "patch for your arm", I assume you mean Libre.
There are lots and lots and lots and lots of threads about this on the forum.
It's definitely worth reading around to understand how it works and a bit about accuracy.

Reactions: karen8967

Bridie9408

I was on Humalog Mix25 for over 3 years and for me it was a pain in the bum. I know that some people like it (I did manage to keep my a1c under control somehow) but I was constantly having highs and lows and struggling with mealtimes - especially lunches.

I find Multiple Daily Injections (MDI) much more flexible for daily diabetes management. If busy I can eat when it becomes convenient and inject exactly the right amount of insulin for my needs. On balance, I greatly prefer MDI to fixed doses.

Hope that helps?

Regards
Urb'
Thanks it has helped.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I find MDI really flexible too - you can eat (or not) whenever you like and just inject for it.

Libre is brilliant, been a real lifesaver for me. I’d really recommend the book “Sugar Surfing” as a great guide to how to get the best from it.

Reactions: Alison54321

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I don't think I could go back onto 2 injections a day now. Apart from it only being 2 jabs per day, I wouldn't like the inflexibility to eat what I want when I want

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I have never done the 2 i jections thing but MDI is great, if I don't want to eat I don't have to or if I fancy lots of meals/snacks all day I con do rhat too without my sugars going crazy.

Reactions: Alison54321

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have 4, well 5 really, and at least one correction, injections a day. I did a mixed dose for a short while, a long time ago, and hated it, and I wouldn't go back to any of my previous diabetes management regimes.

MDI gives you a lot more flexibility, but it does require more thinking about what you're doing. Though I could get by without thinking much, as mostly I inject the same amount of insulin at every meal, and the same amount of basal. So my thinking too much about it is probably unnecessary. :)

If you want to reduce hypos, and improve you HbA1c it's much better, it's much more flexible, and gives you more control, especially with Freestyle Libre.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Think I’ve had 8 injections so far today, there’ll be at least one more....