Help With Sweeteners Please

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, yeah I'll have to stop cereal but I cannot stand yogurt without sweetener so will just use it for that. Haha Hubby won't mind eggs & bacon but I've never been keen on English breakfast so will find that option difficult, maybe just scrambled eggs on the occasion
If we’re on a deadline I just have a slice of boiled ham and a chunk of cheese, maybe an avocado would work for you! Or blitz some raspberries or blueberries (I then bring them to the boil to increase life) chill and add to big tub of full fat Greek yoghurt, then so the same as I do with my grand-kids, add a tiny bit of sweetener at a time until the taste becomes ‘just sweet enough’. You will find, if you give it a chance, that your ‘sweet tooth’ diminishes with time. Cereals are the worst option. There’s a recipe doing the rounds for very LC home made Granola somewhere, don’t eat any of that stuff so don’t have it. Diet Doctor would be a good place to look. Personally I only use natural Stevia leaves, ground up in coffee mill. They are extremely sweet so be careful!

wasdale

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks AtkinsMo for your kind advice, I'll never say no to a chunk of cheese ha & how long do you boil the berries for as never done it before but sounds like a brilliant idea to add to yogurt. I'll have a look & see if I can find this LC Granola recipe & will deffo have a look at DietDoctor as I have no idea how many carbs I should be having a day, thanks

Parisemo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello all, can I please ask what sweeteners you recommend as I like to add to cereal and yogurt, I currently use Splenda but not sure if this one is OK? I've tried truvia & xylitol but don't like it as they have an odd taste & especially don't like them when I mix it with yogurt. Thanks
I use Canderel in cooking but never add sweetner to anything else ?

Reactions: wasdale

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks AtkinsMo for your kind advice, I'll never say no to a chunk of cheese ha & how long do you boil the berries for as never done it before but sounds like a brilliant idea to add to yogurt. I'll have a look & see if I can find this LC Granola recipe & will deffo have a look at DietDoctor as I have no idea how many carbs I should be having a day, thanks

I just bring it to the boil then cool it rapidly, doesn’t need to be ‘cooked’ as such, but as raw fruit it would have 2-3 days keeping quality and I want to extend it to the life of the Yoghurt. Seems to have worked so far. And of course, sugar is itself a preservative, so without adding sugar you just need to be more careful. I always rely on taste, smell and appearance to judge if something is good enough to eat.

Reactions: geefull and wasdale

wasdale

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just bring it to the boil then cool it rapidly, doesn’t need to be ‘cooked’ as such, but as raw fruit it would have 2-3 days keeping quality and I want to extend it to the life of the Yoghurt. Seems to have worked so far. And of course, sugar is itself a preservative, so without adding sugar you just need to be more careful. I always rely on taste, smell and appearance to judge if something is good enough to eat.
Thanks

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
Nobody seems to have mentioned Tropicana Slim - I wonder why?

In every way I find this to be a good alternative to added sugar. AND their syrups, especially Orange and Cocont, very enjoyable if diluted into Coke bottles and stored in the fridge.

Reactions: wasdale

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

In every way I find this to be a good alternative to added sugar. AND their syrups, especially Orange and Cocont, very enjoyable if diluted into Coke bottles and stored in the fridge.
Possibly because its only available in Indonesia where it appears to be made and where the website gives no nutritional information at all.

sue4les

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
people who eat chocolate in front of me. Boo Hoo
Hello all, can I please ask what sweeteners you recommend as I like to add to cereal and yogurt, I currently use Splenda but not sure if this one is OK? I've tried truvia & xylitol but don't like it as they have an odd taste & especially don't like them when I mix it with yogurt. Thanks
HI, I only use Canderel as that was recommended by my doctor. They have lots of different ones but I only use the red packs of tablets or garanulated for baking, there is no after taste at all.
Hope this helps Sue

wasdale

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Thanks never heard of this but will have a look

Jeannier9

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercise, salads, mushy foods.

Hi, Not sure whether you have this in Britain, but when I used to crave sugar (happily - after more than a year - the cravings have disappeared), I would use a tiny amount of Stevia.

However, if it is available, please ensure that you purchase the maximum purity, and don't use Stevia mixes, as we have found that the North American Stevia is now being cut with all kinds of **** (which we can't tolerate).

Good luck!

wasdale

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, Not sure whether you have this in Britain, but when I used to crave sugar (happily - after more than a year - the cravings have disappeared), I would use a tiny amount of Stevia.

However, if it is available, please ensure that you purchase the maximum purity, and don't use Stevia mixes, as we have found that the North American Stevia is now being cut with all kinds of **** (which we can't tolerate).

Good luck!
Hi yes they do have it in the UK but I've tried it & unfortunately cannot stand the taste

WJP1055

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sugar, being overweight
I use (Boots) saccharins in tea/coffee (3). I also use them in some other foods, e.g. pancakes, I melt them in a little hot water before adding to the pancake mix. They are not for everybody, but my wife (non-diabetic) also uses them and finds them better than sugar.

wasdale

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use (Boots) saccharins in tea/coffee (3). I also use them in some other foods, e.g. pancakes, I melt them in a little hot water before adding to the pancake mix. They are not for everybody, but my wife (non-diabetic) also uses them and finds them better than sugar.
Thanks I never use sugar I only use Splenda or hermesetas sweeteners but I was just wondering if they are OK health wise as some sweeteners are bad for you in the long run cause of what's in them but just cannot seem to find proper info anywhere

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
Possibly because its only available in Indonesia where it appears to be made and where the website gives no nutritional information at all.
Thank you - says it all. And such an English/US sounding title. But I was aware that it was manufactured in Bogor, Java, but so much here is made under licence from outside its shores - one cannot be certain.

Nondipoo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Xylitol ot maltilol are nearly as bad as sugar for raising blood sugar. I bought some erythropoietin And monk fruit sweeteners. You can buy them mixed together online, but I am trying them separately first. They are recommended as being the best for not affecting blood sugar in the US. I find full fat yogurt has a naturally sweetish taste & doesn’t need any sweeteners. I sometimes add some cinnamon if something needs a bit of tast to it, such as porridge& can theneat it without sweeteners.

Nondipoo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Xylitol ot maltilol are nearly as bad as sugar for raising blood sugar. I bought some erythropoietin And monk fruit sweeteners. You can buy them mixed together online, but I am trying them separately first. They are recommended as being the best for not affecting blood sugar in the US. I find full fat yogurt has a naturally sweetish taste & doesn’t need any sweeteners. I sometimes add some cinnamon if something needs a bit of tast to it, such as porridge& can theneat it without sweeteners.
That is meant to say erythritol. I didn’t notice that the predictive text had altered it.