Bcg

MoonSpirit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Following the small 8 year study which showed dramatic improvement in type1 blood sugar results.
How many of us will be going to their GP over the next month to request a BCG vaccination.
(Probably need to justify it by saying going on holiday to an area with rampant TB or similar)

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Had mine aged 13 after my diagnosis and still diabetic 33 years later....
Interestingly the study was done in the US where they don't routinely give that vaccine. Looking forward to seeing the 2nd stage!

MoonSpirit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had mine aged 13 after my diagnosis and still diabetic 33 years later....
Interestingly the study was done in the US where they don't routinely give that vaccine. Looking forward to seeing the 2nd stage!
Yes I had the routine one as a child, around the time as I was diagnosed with T1 at 12
I think I’ve had it easy compared to many with T1, I’m now 58
I’ve never followed advise or a strict diet, just eaten what I want and adjusted insulin accordingly, without any serious issues. I’m fat / overweight with high blood pressure but then many people without diabetes at 58 are the same.

However over the last few years, despite going onto a Dexcom cgm, control is not so easy as it once was.

Which is why I will be going to see my GP and ask for a BCG booster.
The way I look at it, I’ve had the vaccine before and so don’t see any reason why a booster would do any harm.
I know it’s not a cure but any improvement in helping controll the blood sugars would help. (I’m always one looking for a quick fix/miracle cure)

It took the Americans 8 years to do the first small scale test,
I’m too impatient to wait another 8 years for them to do a bigger scale test.

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I seem to remember when I was about 13 the TB vaccine was given to everyone that wasn't immune. They did an immunity test first. Something to do with if the immunity test showed a reaction on the skin or not. I was immune, so didn't get the vaccine. (This was back in the very early 1960's. )

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes I had the routine one as a child, around the time as I was diagnosed with T1 at 13
I think I’ve had it easy compared to many with T1, I’m now 58
I’ve never followed advise or a strict diet, just eaten what I want and adjusted insulin accordingly without and serious issues.
However over the last few years, despite going onto a Dexcom cgm, control is not so easy as it once was.

Which is why I will be going to see my GP and ask for a booster.
The way I look at it, I’ve had the vaccine before and so don’t see any reason why a booster would do any harm.

It took the americans 8 years to do the first small scale test,
I’m too impatient to wait another 8 years for them to do a big scale test.
Let us know how you get on that Docs! Perhaps you can say you are going badger spotting...

MoonSpirit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Let us know how you get on that Docs! Perhaps you can say you are going badger spotting...
Yes, I will update once I have gone.
Will not be until beginning of August,
I’m spending summer on a boat in France, but have to shoot home for a couple of days end of July to top up on my insulin and tablet supplies

Last edited:
Reactions: kev-w

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I seem to remember when I was about 13 the TB vaccine was given to everyone that wasn't immune. They did an immunity test first. Something to do with if the immunity test showed a reaction on the skin or not. I was immune, so didn't get the vaccine. (This was back in the very early 1960's. )
Me too. But about 20 years later so got sent for X-ray in case I had TB. Turns out my mum was exposed to it as a teenager so theory was she must have passed on the immunity. Wonder if having it would have stopped this?

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was immune so didn't have it. But I'm T2. Where did you find the research?

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
[I had this vaccine in the 70s and have been T1 for 35 years this October, it is interesting but I've filed the trial on the 'quack' shelf for later reading.

Reactions: Knikki

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Far too few people, and not enough control on this one. Second phase data will be important to learn how widely it is effective.

Also worth noting that the strain of BCG used is hardly available around the world now. The only place it is routinely used is with children in Japan, so no point in getting additional BCGs done anywhere.