Treatment Induced Type 1!

Larryk 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thought I had my hands full with three lots of cancer surgery, all the follow-up treatment, killed the remnants of my cancer then had Sepsis twice, and now have medication induced type 1 Diabetes! Oh well! This is me then, newbie, still fighting the big C, and now fighting the big D1!

Ex squaddie, old school 6ft tall and bulletproof! Just saying hi to all on here!

Larryk 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks. Pre meal readings down to 5.6 aftef 12 weeks so not bad I guess. Started with panic at my Oncology dept. at Royal Marsden, at 29! Transferred to Chelsea and Westminster, who were bloody marvelous! Now referred to local hospital who have been fab thus far!

Thanks for your input!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Thanks! In a strange place at the mo. Need all the 'hellos' I can get!

You've certainly been through the mill that's for sure. Any diagnosis is hard but to have multiple diagnoses can seem insurmountable but you've dropped lucky in finding this site. There is a wealth of knowledge and experience here and you are welcome to tax it any time.

By the way, my eldest is ex Signals so I wanted to give you a wave.

Reactions: Jaylee

Larryk 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am exRAOC, now RLC, 17 years. Last 7 years EOD. Bit nuts now, but teaching cadets locally, old job early days, drill instructor.in the blood!

I am dealing with this well I think, docs seem happy. Looking for a little back up from this site! Figures look good and Oncologist says I could shake it. Trying to deal with post meal spikes at the mo. Was already on lowcarb, so I think insulin is way out, due to frequent hypos!

Thanks

L

Reactions: Prem51 and Guzzler

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's a bad run of luck @Larryk 2 and good on you for keeping going, re hypos, glucotabs and the like can/will head them off , specially if you catch them in time, how often do you test? And does your CCG allow the prescription of Libre?

Reactions: therower and Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Welcome to the forum @Larryk 2! I'm Type 2 so don't know too much about Type 1. But you sound like a fighter and I'm sure you are going to be able to deal with it all. You will get a lot of good advice and support on here.

Larryk 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Kev, bit new to all this! CCG? I am testing about 7 times a day, before and after meals. Using glucomen areo.

Reactions: kev-w

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Kev, bit new to all this! CCG? I am testing about 7 times a day, before and after meals. Using glucomen areo.

CCG as in 'clinical commisioning group' long story short is there's now a sensor that attaches to the back ones arm that allows you to scan without blood testing, some CCGs have made the device available on prescription and some as yet haven't, so if available it's a game changer for glucose monitoring as the more times you test the better.

Reactions: Prem51 and Cobia

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
Welcome. I hope it all works out for you. Is there any chance you will be able to leave our exclusive club with a change or hopefully a cessation of problematic medications. We would love to get rid of everyone here due to non compliance (no longer Diabetic) and you are our best hope yet. Good luck and ask any questions you want.

Reactions: Prem51

Cobia

Type of diabetes
LADA
Welcome to the club.

Kev's right on the money look into cgm or fgm any questions ask here.
It helps.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Hi @Larryk 2 and welcome to the forum and this group of T1 ‘family’.
Yes, an Abbott Freestyle Libre is good for seeing what your interstitial glucose levels are doing. The readings are best double checked with a finger prick blood test twice a day as the sensors are calibrated at source and are sometimes set a bit above or below a blood test result, but as long as it’s consistent you can adjust in your head.
You need to scan the sensor with a reader - there’ll be people who can explain how to use an app on a phone instead of a reader - and it’ll give you graphs and bar charts that let you know what your levels are over 24 hours. As long as you scan every 8 hours it provides a good picture of how you’re doing and helps if you need to make any adjustments such as before using a bit more energy than usual or getting up in the morning and beating the Dawn Phenomenon which is when quite a few see a blood glucose rise.
For many of us it’s a game changer.
If you can’t get it prescribed on the NHS then you might be able to fund it yourself: the sensors can be ordered from Superdrug, currently for £35 VAT free (you qualify if you have T1), they last 14 days, but the scanner needs, I think, to be bought from Abbot, c£156.
Good luck and everything with the cancer, you’ve certainly had a lot to contend with and it’s great to hear you’ve had excellent treatment.
If you don’t want to use glucotabs to raise blood sugars then lots of us also do a bit of canabilism on a jelly baby or two - one jelly baby = 5g carbohydrate.
I see that you’ve already embraced low carb but if you want to widen your options you could also ask to be included on a Dafne course which takes you through ways to calculate insulin dose for carbohydrate eaten as well as a range of other useful stuff.
You’ll no doubt get lots of welcome and advice here so as has been said already, ask away if questions come to mind (or body).

Reactions: therower and Prem51

Larryk 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow! Fantastic info from all of you. Gonna reply individually though! Only good manners!

Thanks!

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Larryk 2 . Welcome to the forum.
Blo*dy hell seems a good opening response. You've had your fair share of stuff it seems, and now you find yourself diabetic.
As usual everyone as given great advice, especially with references to blood monitoring.
Living with diabetes demands a lot of the individual, your life experiences, I feel will serve you well in managing and controlling your diabetes.
You've got a lot to learn, try to learn a little and often. There are a lot of great people here who will be only to happy to help and advise you. We are quite good at listening as well, rant and moan at will.:).
As for diabetes itself. Well if the C ain't got you then I doubt the D will:).
Positivity is the key to living with diabetes.
Good luck.

Larryk 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome. I hope it all works out for you. Is there any chance you will be able to leave our exclusive club with a change or hopefully a cessation of problematic medications. We would love to get rid of everyone here due to non compliance (no longer Diabetic) and you are our best hope yet. Good luck and ask any questions you want.
Oncology say the fact that I have a secondary auto immune illness, there is a good chance that the cancer will go into remission, and the type 1 may dissipate!