Using Omnipod In When The Temperature Rises

claire91

Good evening,

I just wanted some advice it has been extremely warm where I live at the moment!
I was having hypos so decreased my different basals throughout the day
I am still having at least one hypo a day or sometimes I catch it before I go hypo.
When using an insulin pump when the weather is hot do you need to decrease your bolus too?

Thankyou :)

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
good question ... as we are all different there is no 1 answer .... many T1's find their insulin needs decrease in warm weather. you have 7 basal programs available on your omnipod pump ... perhaps setting a new program with all hourly rates reduced by xx % ( left vague as we cannot give specific medical advice )
also talk to your DSN if totally unsure

bolus doses normally can decrease as well in warmer weather if you notice basal rates needing a tweak

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
Sun and heat relax me, and makes my body more efficient. So less insulin is needed. So I cut my basal rate back, or temp basal things down. From what I remember, I think I could basal rate down on a pod.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @claire91,
Winter here in Oz at the moment but in summertime I reduce both my basal and bolus rates.
The reasons why we seem to need less insulin are a matter of conjecture:
- we tend to be outside and more active more rather than huddled around a heater ( exaggeration for dramatic effect)
- our insulin may be better absorbed when our subcutaneous tissue is warmer and more blood flowing through it
- winter coldness may stress us more, we are less stressed in summer ( as per @Jollymon )
- our diet may change between summer and winter
- ?? something to do with our body's making more vitamin D through sunshine

In an Adelaidian summer , we can reach 40 degrees C, (and higher inside a locked car !!) so keeping cool, well hydrated and keeping insulin protected from heat are priorities. Sun cancer is common in Oz and The Cancer Council here have a slogan:
Slip (on a shirt), Slop (on 50+ sunscreen lotion), Slap (on a hat), Seek (shade/shelter, Slide (on some sunglasses) to which I add Sip (fluids).
In a car my spare insulin is kept in a pouch with an iceblock and wrpapped in insulation and place inside a cooler shopping bag !!

I have a thing too for protecting my Animas insulin pump. Carried on a belt clip exposed to the sun is not a great idea. I wrap it in foam plastic (the sort that is used in cheap cooler bags obtained at supermarkets, coloured plastic on outside , foam inside and silver foil innermost) with the silver surface outermost) then an envelop of bubble plastic or other insulation and carry it in in a generous sized pouch (like a travel wallet set up, slung across one shoulder/side of neck to below opposite arm pit) OR I wear a bumbag to one side with the insulated pump in it.
For the Omnipod, I guess it would be a matter of applying insulation material held on by a band around your body. I do something similar if I cannot easily carry my pump anywhere but on my belt.
Whichever method the hassle is assessing one's pump to put in boluses etc. but that is better than having boiled insulin and a molten pump ( by now you will realise that Aussies embrace exaggeration like a national sport) !!
Test strips can also be affected by heat so I keep them and the meter cool also.
Finally the adhesion patches around needle inserts tend to become unstuck in hot weather. There are threads about this for the Omnipod. My motto is : If in doubt use more sticky white tape.
Enjoy the summer !!!

D

Deleted Account

I have a thing too for protecting my Animas insulin pump. Carried on a belt clip exposed to the sun is not a great idea. I wrap it in foam plastic (the sort that is used in cheap cooler bags obtained at supermarkets, coloured plastic on outside , foam inside and silver foil innermost) with the silver surface outermost) then an envelop of bubble plastic or other insulation and carry it in in a generous sized pouch (like a travel wallet set up, slung across one shoulder/side of neck to below opposite arm pit) OR I wear a bumbag to one side with the insulated pump in it.
According to Animas (https://www.animascorp.co.uk/insulin-pumps/vibe-insulin-pump) the operating conditions for the Vibe is:
"+5° C (+40° F) to +40° C (+104° F) Outside these temperatures, the flow accuracy and time to occlusion could be compromised. 700 Hpa to 1060 Hpa 20% to 90% relative humidity, including condensation up to 3048 meters (10,000 feet)"
I found, keeping mine out of direct sunlight, I never needed to add extra insulation.

I can't find the exact instructions for Omnipod with a quick google but all I read suggests about the same temperature range.
And test strips also work up to +40° C

Edited to add: Frio have a pump wallet if you find you feel you will be in very hot temperatures (https://friouk.com/product/pump-wallet/). Although not suitable for Ominpod.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: tim2000s

Alexsalter47

I'm off somewhere for 3 days 35c around there. Id havea omnipod patch pump by then , worried I won't be able to keep it cool?

Any method in the world to this? Thanks

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I'm off somewhere for 3 days 35c around there. Id havea omnipod patch pump by then , worried I won't be able to keep it cool?

Any method in the world to this? Thanks
I was in Italy this summer with average temperatures between 31 - 37 and had no issues with omnipod delivering insulin properly