Empagliflozin

susie1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
hi my diabetes nurse has started me on empagliflozin im also on insulin for type 2 since i started about 3 days ago i get very thirsty but i struggle to go to the toilet not a wee the other , this is very odd for me as i cant digest food very well and take creon for this but normaly i have the runs most mornings .has anyone else been on this drug please thanks

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi my diabetes nurse has started me on empagliflozin im also on insulin for type 2 since i started about 3 days ago i get very thirsty but i struggle to go to the toilet not a wee the other , this is very odd for me as i cant digest food very well and take creon for this but normaly i have the runs most mornings .has anyone else been on this drug please thanks

I've not taken diabetes meds myself, but I know of several people who have taken meds from the 'flozin family.

The way those meds work is to change the way your body gets rid of glucose, to making you pass it out in your urine. If your urine production is incrreased, you may find you have less fluids in your digestive trract, therefore your other waste products will contain less water. Does that make sense?

For those on this class of meds, it is important to drink enough, so that you can pass more water. Not drinking enough water can lead to urinary infections and thrush.

Some folks achieve great blood scores and often lose weight on the 'flozins. Good luck with it all.

Reactions: Struma

susie1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've not taken diabetes meds myself, but I know of several people who have taken meds from the 'flozin family.

The way those meds work is to change the way your body gets rid of glucose, to making you pass it out in your urine. If your urine production is incrreased, you may find you have less fluids in your digestive trract, therefore your other waste products will contain less water. Does that make sense?

For those on this class of meds, it is important to drink enough, so that you can pass more water. Not drinking enough water can lead to urinary infections and thrush.

Some folks achieve great blood scores and often lose weight on the 'flozins. Good luck with it all.

susie1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
thank you yes that does make sense i will drink more and see how it goes

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes yes and yes, much less frequent, but seems to be working on my numbers, three month blood test Wednesday will tell me if it is working or not, also very frequent the other end. hope it works out for you.

Russell52

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It's a good drug. I understand a percentage of people get some dude effects but if you can stick with it. Not sure how it reacts with insulin tho if at all

susie1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for your replys ,i will stick with it i see my nurse next week for blood test and check my weight fingers cross

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
These are the main features of SGLT2 inhibitors...
upload_2017-11-22_10-50-17-png.24555

Reactions: Struma

Swanny57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I am on it too and I am always so thirsty and very constipated which makes me feel very bloated but numbers are better

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @susie1953 :)

I've been on this drug for a good long while now, though I was very wary of taking it at first. I couldn't tolerate Metformin and this was offered instead.

I took it at first for 3 months, then had a little moment of burnout when I moved house and my son struggled to cope, but then I climbed back on the wagon in February and have been taking it ever since.

You're right: it makes you thirstier, I frequently wake up with a dry mouth and it's not uncommon for me to drink 6+ litres of water a day. But as long as (apologies for being graphic) your pee remains a light yellow or straw colour, you're absolutely fine. I've nicknamed this medication "GlucoPee" and am completely confident on it*.

There are, however, a few things you need to be aware of with it - and they're the reason I was wary in the first place:

1. It increases the chances of you having a hypo. People will tell you that T2's can't have hypos. But I a had a couple of serious run-ins when I first started taking it that were serious enough for me to get a hypo plan together and educate my loved ones. Even now I carry glucose with me and everyone who knows me knows where it is. Get hypo aware (See link below) and you'll be fine.

2. Depending on your dosage, it will increase your chances of getting DKA - Diabetic Ketoacidosis - which is a potentially life-threatening condition which requires immediate hospital treatment. But, don't panic. I taught myself a little phrase that acts as a memory prompt for the symptoms, and whenever I get worried, I just run through it:

Very - Vomiting or nausea
Bad - Bad breath - you'll know it when it happens. It's Keto-breath (familiar to followers of LCHF)
Boys - Breathing disruption, a strange kind of gasping for air, like a fish out of water
Head - A massive headache
To - Unquenchable thirst
Cells - Confusion. Which can be hard to self-diagnosis, but if you're worried and running through the rhyme, you're not confused.

If you have any concerns about DKA, call 999 immediately. Explain to them that you're on Empagliflozin / Jardiance which has an increased chance of DKA and give them your symptoms.

3. UTIs! A girl's favourite unwanted friend!
To be fair, I was REALLY worried about this one, being prone to thrush. But in a year of taking this medication, I got my first UTI about 2 weeks ago. Of course, I didn't realise I had it and it turned into a kidney infection, but that's on me, not the meds. The notion is that you have moisture, warmth and yeast in your urinary tract... and then sugar-pee constantly feeding it. So, of course, the less sugar you have in your pee, the better, which is why a low-carb-type diet is still a great plan, even on this medication.

Unfairly, we girls will get UTI's more often than boys, and we're more likely to suffer complications from them. And, particularly with our urinary tracts, we can also get quite suddenly and severely dehydrated. But the way to protect against all these side effects is to drink, drink, drink. Don't feel self-conscious about getting through a bottle of water in an hour and remember, if you're thirsty or your pee is darker the colour of straw, you're already dehydrated.

On the plus side...

It took me 11 months and 2 days to hit my target Hba1c of 42 using a combo of this medication and a low carb diet. At my next DN appointment I'm going to request that I drop from 25mg to 10mg, and at the appointment after that, I'm planning to go med-free.

(Please also bear in mind, after you've read all that, that I'm just another T2 who is commenting on the effect this medication has had on my life - I'm in no position to offer you specific guidance on your situation. If you have doubts or concerns, please, please, please talk toyour GP about them).

Good luck!

Sock xx

Hypo Awareness Program: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/education/hypo-awareness-program.html

Shasycla

Hi I have been on the tablet for 3 months now. You have to up your water intake. You also have to take it with plenty of water. You will find it settles down after a couple of weeks but will get worse if you eat a lot of sugary foods. It works wonders on your blood sugars. Mine dropped drastically. You have to help it along by sticking to a low carb way of eating. I lost 12 pounds in just under a month. My blood sugars are down from over13 to mainly 5 to 7 mmol. Hope this helps

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi I have been on the tablet for 3 months now. You have to up your water intake. You also have to take it with plenty of water. You will find it settles down after a couple of weeks but will get worse if you eat a lot of sugary foods. It works wonders on your blood sugars. Mine dropped drastically. You have to help it along by sticking to a low carb way of eating. I lost 12 pounds in just under a month. My blood sugars are down from over13 to mainly 5 to 7 mmol. Hope this helps
hi, I'm about to be prescribed this along with a ketone meter. How are you finding it so far?

Chimpchoker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been on empaflogrozin since Feb 2018. I was worried about this drug as I am one of the "1in 100,000" people who get complications. This med I have had nowt.
It has helped reduce my BG from 78 to 56 between Feb 2nd and May 1st. I have lost about 3 stone since May and have normal blood pressure without the BP meds.

I have found another benefit in that I only go to the toilet now once during the night but for 5 mins rather than 10 times for little sprinkles.lol.

I honestly think this is a wonder drug but that is not to say anything about the effort I have put in but together I am in a better place this year.