Neuralgia/neuropathy

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
I have just been diagnosed with shingles for the fifth time, that's 3 times as a schoolboy, and twice since I had the shingles jab 3 years ago. I must have already had chicken pox as a child.
What's interesting is that the GP has prescribed amitriptyline for chronic neuralgia (this happens with shingles as post-herpetic neuralgia). She says that amitriptyline is now hardly ever prescribed for depression, but often for chronic neuralgia.
I looked this up on the Healthline website and got:
What is neuralgia?
Neuralgia is a stabbing, burning, and often severe pain due to an irritated or damaged nerve. The nerve may be anywhere in the body, and the damage may be caused by several things, including:
· aging
· diseases such as diabetes or multiple sclerosis
· an infection, such as shingles
Treatment for the pain of neuralgia depends on the cause.
Diabetes
Many people with diabetes have problems with their nerves, including neuralgia. The excess glucose in the bloodstream may damage nerves. This damage is most common in the hands, arms, feet, and legs.​
So, what I always thought of as neuropathy may in fact have been neuralgia, although I must say, as a layman, the difference seems esoteric.
Perhaps, if you suffer from tingly painful nerves, it may be an idea to suggest amitriptyline to your GP.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Remember to look up the side effects beforehand. Took me a year to get off Amitriptyline.

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
Remember to look up the side effects beforehand. Took me a year to get off Amitriptyline.
Yes, check the advice, as with all medications. For neuralgia, the dose is much less than that for depression.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I was not prescribed Trip for depression.

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I took 10mg for about a year due to a trapped nerve in my neck. It took 6 weeks for it to kick in but when it did it was bliss - the pain & associated lack of sleep was becoming unbearable. I took myself off it after a year of physical therapy & suffered no issues.

I will say that while I was on it I suffered from dry mouth & slept the sleep of the dead but it was worth it to be pain free.