Type 2 Empaglifozin

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
So as the title suggests, has anyone been prescribed this? Anyone thinks it's a good pill? Can't tolerate metformin, it brings me out in hives. Ichf isn't working!!!
800 cals, very low carb, intermittent fasting for 4 weeks and zero weight loss, no difference in bs either.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So as the title suggests, has anyone been prescribed this? Anyone thinks it's a good pill? Can't tolerate metformin, it brings me out in hives. Ichf isn't working!!!
800 cals, very low carb, intermittent fasting for 4 weeks and zero weight loss, no difference in bs either.
Can you tell us what you ate yesterday?

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I'm logging everything on fitness pal, for brekkie, scrambled egg with smoked salmon, lunch, tomatoes with mozzarella, and some avocado oil, tea, salmon with green beans and broccoli and a few strawberries and cream, lemon tea. Thats it!!!

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It might be the quantity you are eating. I had a portion of poached salmon with salad and got an unexpected spike.

I also found that I can't tolerate more than one cherry tomato.

Are you using double cream?

Can you give us your before and after readings for each of your meals? We might be able to spot something.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Well I've been here before with the same problem. I think in order to lose weight I'd have to be in training for iron man, which at 63 is really not gonna happen. To be honest I've been lax in testing.
I really wanted to know how folk who've tried empaglifozin are finding it.

ThePenguinPimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As @xfieldok says about cherry tomatoes we all react differently to different foods. A study was done and it showed some people spiked when eating really low carb food whereas someone (yeah I can well believe there was only one lucky ******) could eat ice cream without spiking. It's definitely worth doing before and after tests so you know exactly what makes you spike.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Why do you ask this out of interest? I love my double cream but kinda feel bloated after having it in my coffee.. just wondering if there's something I should know lol
Single cream has carbs!

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I will chip in here and say that emphgaflozin is an SLT 2 inbibitor and gets you to pee out the glucose you have ingested. For this reason it is supposed to be more protective of your heart and kidneys than insulin or drugs which encourage your body to make more insulin. Studies (Emporec 2013/2015 I think) have shown weight loss too and this of course is helpful in reducing insulin resistance.
Side effects include higher risk of UTIs because your kidneys are processing more glucose.
I am blown away that on starvation calories and low carb you are not losing weight or improving your glucose levels and can understand your frustration and presumably your hunger. Even if you were underestimating as intimiated above, I still think you would see some difference and wondered if you have some underlying condition that causes you to hold onto this fat other than being diabetic?

Reactions: dawnmc

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well I've been here before with the same problem. I think in order to lose weight I'd have to be in training for iron man, which at 63 is really not gonna happen. To be honest I've been lax in testing.
I really wanted to know how folk who've tried empaglifozin are finding it.
IMHO testing is the only way you can get control of your BG. Regardless of drugs, what we are on we have to find out what food we can or can't eat.