Hot Weather Issues!

MissMJ73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m so fed up of the hot weather we are having. It’s playing havoc with my blood sugar levels. Anyone else having the same issues?

One moment when I test before eating at night mainly, they can be normal between 5 - 7 poss 8-9 if had a snack within an hour before and adjust when eating and then before I go to bed they can be as low as 4 even though I’ve injected the right amount of insulin for what I’m eating. T1 BTW. Was T2 until a year ago.

Tonight they were 4.1 so had a small can of full fat Dr Pepper and 3 chocolate digestives so to raise my levels before I go to sleep. Just tested again and they were down to 3.8!!! So had a couple of glucose tabs.

Hoping things will kick in soon so I can sleep. It’s not the first night it’s happened. My flat gets all the sun until about 2pm and even then when I get home from work it feels like an oven still. I’ve got fans going all the time in the lounge but still get hot. Could this be contributing? I’m literally sweating none stop in this heat! I don’t normally sweat unless hypo. Just get very hot!

Does any of that make sense? Sorry trying to type while battling a hypo again :(

Any ideas and suggestions welcome.

jlarsson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mods who selectively modify posts for explicit language that isn't explicit
Tonight they were 4.1 so had a small can of full fat Dr Pepper and 3 chocolate digestives so to raise my levels before I go to sleep. Just tested again and they were down to 3.8!!! So had a couple of glucose tabs.
This sounds like an issue with basal to me. Are you taking one big dose in the evening?

Robin101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just a suggestion but fans just circulate air. If it's hot that means hot air. Try looking on Amazon at cheap coolers such as 'GESUNDHOME Arctic Air - Personal Space Air Cooler - 3-in-1 Portable Mini Air Cooler, Humidifier & Purifier with 7 Colors LED Lights (White&Grey)' £22 and should do the trick for cooling. Might help and will certainly be more comfortable.

Reactions: MissMJ73

MissMJ73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just a suggestion but fans just circulate air. If it's hot that means hot air. Try looking on Amazon at cheap coolers such as 'GESUNDHOME Arctic Air - Personal Space Air Cooler - 3-in-1 Portable Mini Air Cooler, Humidifier & Purifier with 7 Colors LED Lights (White&Grey)' £22 and should do the trick for cooling. Might help and will certainly be more comfortable.

Thanks will look into this

jlarsson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mods who selectively modify posts for explicit language that isn't explicit
Yes as that’s what I was told to do. Just before bed at the same time each night.
I used to do that too, until I looked at Libre data and thought it was strange how I always woke up hypo regardless of how high it was before bed. So I brought it up with my DN and we came to the conclusion that I should try splitting it up, likely a 5/15 from my previous 20, and things improved massively. Referenced here https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/someone-to-talk-to.153565/#post-1828298

D

Deleted Account

Do you draw your curtains during the day?
Keeping mine closed during this hot weather has made a large difference to the temperature in my house.
If the sun is not glaring in throughout the day (or until 2pm), the room doesn’t heat up as much and there is no need for a fan.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m so fed up of the hot weather we are having. It’s playing havoc with my blood sugar levels. Anyone else having the same issues?

One moment when I test before eating at night mainly, they can be normal between 5 - 7 poss 8-9 if had a snack within an hour before and adjust when eating and then before I go to bed they can be as low as 4 even though I’ve injected the right amount of insulin for what I’m eating. T1 BTW. Was T2 until a year ago.

Hoping things will kick in soon so I can sleep. It’s not the first night it’s happened. My flat gets all the sun until about 2pm and even then when I get home from work it feels like an oven still. I’ve got fans going all the time in the lounge but still get hot. Could this be contributing? I’m literally sweating none stop in this heat! I don’t normally sweat unless hypo. Just get very hot!

Does any of that make sense? Sorry trying to type while battling a hypo again :(

Any ideas and suggestions welcome.
If you have a fan then a cheap way to cool things down is to freeze bottles of water and shove in front of the fan. A washed out 2ltr milk container can last all night.

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
How hot has it been over your way

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Adelaidean summers reach maximums of 40 degrees C. I have to reduce basal insulin by 20% or so, boluses also.
I do clothes washing late morning, and hang it inside on a drying rack with a portable fan blowing through it.
So the electricity is used both to dry clothes and through evaporation cool me. The house is kept closed and I have insulated roller shutters on all windows.
I also 'cheat' sometimes by going to air-conditioned shopping malls and libraries during the hottest part of the day (but travelling there before the heat sets in.) In retirement that is possible but I imagine many of you work in cool offices but it is harder on those working outside and for travelling to and fro work.
Perhaps we need to take a leaf out of desert dwellers' books and dress up in thick robes and minimise exertion?
As always, hydration, hydration, hydration.

D

Deleted member 308541

It's a cool day in Bundaberg, it should get to 25° celsius today, had to wear a tee shirts to bed last night...

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
It's a cool day in Bundaberg, it should get to 25° celsius today, had to wear a tee shirts to bed last night...
We're freezing down here in Sydney. Only 20 deg today. I'll be glad when winter is gone.

Edited by Mod

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 308541

We're freezing down here in Sydney. Only 20 deg today. I'll be glad when winter is gone.
We got down to 15° overnight, we had a couple of cold days in June so hopefully that was winter. Brisbane Ekka and the Mt Isa Rodeo coming up in August so there will be a cold day or three then.

Edit to previously edited quote

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Crocodile tears to you poor suffering Sydneans.!

Edit to quote

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
I've been in Wagga when it's blazingly hot too. Well into the mid 40s that day and strong north westerly blowing.
Down your way in Adelaide it gets hot but unfortunately the summer is also the dry spell.

sjm1308

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm having the same problem with this heat wave. Taking bad hypos especially in the evening. Keeping the curtains closed as someone previously said definitely helps keep the house a bit cooler and try reducing your basal a bit. X

MissMJ73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you draw your curtains during the day?
Keeping mine closed during this hot weather has made a large difference to the temperature in my house.
If the sun is not glaring in throughout the day (or until 2pm), the room doesn’t heat up as much and there is no need for a fan.

Yep they stay firmly shut! At least the sun goes off them later in the day.

Reactions: Kim Possible

MissMJ73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to do that too, until I looked at Libre data and thought it was strange how I always woke up hypo regardless of how high it was before bed. So I brought it up with my DN and we came to the conclusion that I should try splitting it up, likely a 5/15 from my previous 20, and things improved massively. Referenced here https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/someone-to-talk-to.153565/#post-1828298

I’m on Abasaglar and think it can only be injected at night. I’ve asked once but will check again.