School Trip - Pizza Hut All You Can Eat Buffet [emoji85]

Little_Lucy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi! When I first started carb counting my dad got me the ‘carbs and cals’ app for my phone so your son will be able to search his food and all the things from the book will be on his phone and it will also make him more aware of how many carbs are in different things! However it does come at a cost of £5.00 but in my experience it is very useful for restaurants so I don’t have to carry a book with me!

Reactions: Jayden2407

Jayden2407

He looks a cool little dude BTW! (actually he's probably not that little is he?!) I'm glad both you and he have a positive attitude it certainly helps, tell him to enjoy his pizza!

Thank you!! He is - so proud of him! He’s growing pretty quick as high school approaches and will probably be taller than me soon, I’m only 5 5 though

Yes if that’s one thing, we certainly are. We know we’ve got a challenge everyday but We won’t let diabetes drag us down
I’m sure he’ll love his pizza, thank you

Reactions: Antje77 and Diakat

Jayden2407

@Jayden2407 - I really do admire your desire not to become a helicotor parent, where your son's T1 is concerned. I imagine it must be really hard, but successful parenting (generally speaking of course) is about rearing independent, free-thinking young people.

Sounds like you're doing a cracking job.

Thank you so much.

Im done with the tears & just look at my son for inspiration now! He just gets on with things - that’s pretty amazing for a 10 year old. I can imagine diabetes is hard when diagnosed at any age but to stay positive makes the days a lot easier
I had gestational diabetes while pregnant with my 17 month old daughter and ended up having to inject insulin and test my sugar levels too so it was kind of okay when Jayden was handed his kit! For 4 weeks into diagnosis and doing his own injections = proud mum
Thanks again

Reactions: DCUKMod

Jayden2407

I probably wouldn’t let mine go.
It’s sucks but plenty of things unfortunately have to stop when you are t1.
Take him out somewhere nice for the day instead.

Hi,

Thanks for your post.

I understand there’s a lot to change but I wouldn’t change normal every day things like this, i want my son to believe he can do normal things like before - only be aware of his diabetes and the importance of controlling it when and where possible. I couldn’t deprive him of a simple School trip. As it’s the first one since his diagnosis I was unsure of the best things to do. I’d prefer to find a solution, not avoid the problem :)

Reactions: Fruitella

Jayden2407

Hi! When I first started carb counting my dad got me the ‘carbs and cals’ app for my phone so your son will be able to search his food and all the things from the book will be on his phone and it will also make him more aware of how many carbs are in different things! However it does come at a cost of £5.00 but in my experience it is very useful for restaurants so I don’t have to carry a book with me!

Hi lucy,

Thanks for your post. Yes I have the book and the app on my phone, they are great.
With Jayden only being 10 I usually count the carbs at the min, he’s not quite started doing it himself yet.
I have the nutrition list for the buffet I will just give that to the teacher so they can help Jayden count the carbs that he will be eating :)

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jayden2407 How about a trial run at Pizza Hut before the special day? It would give you some idea of the size of portions and the effect of the calculated bolus after two hours.

Jayden2407

@Jayden2407 How about a trial run at Pizza Hut before the special day? It would give you some idea of the size of portions and the effect of the calculated bolus after two hours.

Hiya, he goes on Monday so not much time haha it’s a good idea though, I’ll bear it in mind for future, thank you

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I probably wouldn’t let mine go.
It’s sucks but plenty of things unfortunately have to stop when you are t1.
Take him out somewhere nice for the day instead.

Nothing has to stop because you are type1. You just have to be more careful and do a lot more planning
Stopping the young lad going anywhere with his mates will cause him to resent his diabetes and more than likely rebel against it, let the young lad go and make sure to test and treat after

Jayden2407

Nothing has to stop because you are type1. You just have to be more careful and do a lot more planning
Stopping the young lad going anywhere with his mates will cause him to resent his diabetes and more than likely rebel against it, let the young lad go and make sure to test and treat after

My thoughts exactly

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I’m after a little advice, my son was diagnosed 4 weeks ago type 1 and is insulin dependent (4 injections daily)
He is due to leave primary school soon and they are taking the children bowling and to Pizza Hut (buffet) now I’m aware of carb counting and we know my sons ratio, usually do the carb counting then enter on the monitor telling us how many units of insulin to give before that particular meal.
How the ****** **** am I going to work around an all you can eat buffet if I’m not with my son?! He isn’t carb counting himself yet but is aware that the carb and cals book gives him an idea of food and portion size to go off...
what the best thing to do? Any advice?
I was thinking maybe pre meditate his meal, count the carbs myself then let him know what he should have?? I don’t want to deprive him of more food that I give him after working out the carbs :(

Maybe remind the school that type1 is a disability and they have a legal responsibility to make reasonable changes so that your son can take part in all school activities. Therefore they should not be taking the children to pizza hut. There also have a legal responsibility to make the changes in a way that does not lead to the other children hating your son.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Maybe remind the school that type1 is a disability and they have a legal responsibility to make reasonable changes so that your son can take part in all school activities. Therefore they should not be taking the children to pizza hut. There also have a legal responsibility to make the changes in a way that does not lead to the other children hating your son.

Why should they not be taking them to Pizza Hut? He is T1D. There is nothing that young lad can not do. As I have said before, its a matter of forward thinking, planning and adjusting insulin requirements for what he is going to be eating. @Jayden2407 seems to have a very sensible head on her shoulders. Bolusing etc will get easier for her and her son as they both get used to diabetes life. DO NOT stop the lad doing whatever he wants to do

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I can vaguely remember when I was in the last year of junior school (age 11?). The school had arranged a weekend trip to a local activity center which involved kayaking, mountaineering etc. I was told I could not go because I was diabetic by 1 of the teachers. I can remember running home and crying my eyes out to my mother. None of the teachers wanted to take responsibility for me even thou I had been self managing since I was 6 years old!!!! ie injecting my self testing urine, carb counting wasn't around back then! Needless to say I hated being diabetic and hated school. It wasn't until the second year of high school that I went on a weeks skiing trip to Italy and my parents had to sign a consent form to say that they would take no legal responsibility for me IF anything went wrong with my diabetes

Jayden2407

I find that a bit extreme.
The school had this trip planned for months - Jayden was only diagnosed 4 weeks ago. I wouldn’t expect the school to cancel/change the plans just because of his diagnosis. For one he would hate it if i did that and second I have encouraged him to do normal things as before but at the same time made him aware how important it is to control it as best we can. Everything is so new for us both but I wouldn’t want my son to think he shouldn’t be doing such a simple thing like a school trip to Pizza Hun.
School have been great with him too and as for the other kids hating him if I did that, I don’t think the school would have any control over that. Jayden would totally hate the fuss and attention.

Reactions: Fruitella

Jayden2407

Why should they not be taking them to Pizza Hut? He is T1D. There is nothing that young lad can not do. As I have said before, its a matter of forward thinking, planning and adjusting insulin requirements for what he is going to be eating. @Jayden2407 seems to have a very sensible head on her shoulders. Bolusing etc will get easier for her and her son as they both get used to diabetes life. DO NOT stop the lad doing whatever he wants to do

Totally agree with you! I am encouraging him to be as normal as possible as before but also learning him how important it is to control his diabetes. I don’t make a big deal about it, as he doesn’t see it as that.
Asking the school to cancel a trip (that was booked before his diagnosis) wouldn’t be something I certainly would do - he would hate it!
It’s all trial and error as we are both learning each day :) thank you

Reactions: Antje77

Jayden2407

I can vaguely remember when I was in the last year of junior school (age 11?). The school had arranged a weekend trip to a local activity center which involved kayaking, mountaineering etc. I was told I could not go because I was diabetic by 1 of the teachers. I can remember running home and crying my eyes out to my mother. None of the teachers wanted to take responsibility for me even thou I had been self managing since I was 6 years old!!!! ie injecting my self testing urine, carb counting wasn't around back then! Needless to say I hated being diabetic and hated school. It wasn't until the second year of high school that I went on a weeks skiing trip to Italy and my parents had to sign a consent form to say that they would take no legal responsibility for me IF anything went wrong with my diabetes

That’s sad :( but it’s the truth of when you were younger I get that - I can’t even begin to imagine how hard things were without what we have today to control it.
I’m so proud of my son and how he’s dealing with it all, he’s my little hero

Reactions: porl69

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
That’s sad :( but it’s the truth of when you were younger I get that - I can’t even begin to imagine how hard things were without what we have today to control it.

You and your son are both doing brilliantly. Don't get me wrong you will have some real hard times ahead when things will get on top of both your son and you. Find a way to work it out between you. All the best for Monday and Pizza Hut :) Let us know how it goes

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

The truth is when @porl69 was Jaydens age the dinosaur were still roaming the land............

Jayden2407

You and your son are both doing brilliantly. Don't get me wrong you will have some real hard times ahead when things will get on top of both your son and you. Find a way to work it out between you. All the best for Monday and Pizza Hut :) Let us know how it goes

Thank you! I will :)