School Trip - Pizza Hut All You Can Eat Buffet [emoji85]

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Would it work with him ordering his own pizza, so that the size etc is known in advance?

Also, how can you stop diet coke and normal coke getting mixed up, as I assume some of the children will be drinking each?

Reactions: porl69

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Would it work with him ordering his own pizza, so that the size etc is known in advance?

Also, how can you stop diet coke and normal coke getting mixed up, as I assume some of the children will be drinking each?
Test the coke using his BG meter. Diet will come up as zero or LO, regular with a huge number or HI. Easy :)

Reactions: Jayden2407

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Practically guaranteed answer is to use a test strip on it but in the real world that can get very expensive very quickly!
Other way is to take a very small sip and rub it between your lips. If it goes sticky as it dries there's likely sugar on it.

I hope your son enjoys the buffet.

Jayden2407

I have printed the nutrition information for the buffet and given it to his teacher so they can calculate his carbs & give the correct units of insulin before hand. Just needs a bit of planning.

Jayden doesn’t drink fizzy drinks, just juice and water, he’ll be taking his own drinks

Reactions: porl69

Jayden2407

Practically guaranteed answer is to use a test strip on it but in the real world that can get very expensive very quickly!
Other way is to take a very small sip and rub it between your lips. If it goes sticky as it dries there's likely sugar on it.

I hope your son enjoys the buffet.

Thank you.

He doesn’t drink fizzy drinks so no problems there :)

Reactions: db89

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@Jayden2407 - sounds like you’ve both got wise heads on your shoulders and a great attitude to life. Hope your kiddo has the best time on his outing, and now I want pizza. :rolleyes:

Jayden2407

@Jayden2407 - sounds like you’ve both got wise heads on your shoulders and a great attitude to life. Hope your kiddo has the best time on his outing, and now I want pizza. :rolleyes:

We dont do negativity! Deal with the ups and downs and embrace life as it is that’s my motto

Thank you very much
Pizza for tea at weekend?!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Had pizza last night @Mel dCP
Slight correction needed before bed 0.5u so not far off where I needed to be.

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
Porl69 touched on this. I'm a T2 but the mechanism is the same. Pizza raises blood sugar slowly as the high fat content moderates the carbohydrate absorption rate. Tricky for you T1s but doable. Basically, BG should be lower but for much longer. Makes it harder to judge I know. Just make sure he doesn't have a Margherita. Not much fat on them save the cheese.
Hope he has a hooley.

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya, he goes on Monday so not much time haha it’s a good idea though, I’ll bear it in mind for future, thank you

In that case just let him enjoy himself. Don't worry that blood sugar levels may run high for a while. We can have a day off occasionally! Deal with it when he comes home.

I had a treat today. In the M&S Café I enjoyed a large Jacket Potato filled with a heap of Coronation Chicken and garnished with Salad. I wouldn't normally eat a large baked potato! It was good value at £4.95. Blood sugar was at 11 two hours later so a tiny correction injection brought it within range in time for my evening meal.

Jayden2407

In that case just let him enjoy himself. Don't worry that blood sugar levels may run high for a while. We can have a day off occasionally! Deal with it when he comes home.

I had a treat today. In the M&S Café I enjoyed a large Jacket Potato filled with a heap of Coronation Chicken and garnished with Salad. I wouldn't normally eat a large baked potato! It was good value at £4.95. Blood sugar was at 11 two hours later so a tiny correction injection brought it within range in time for my evening meal.

I will, thank you. We don’t usually eat out a lot so I know he’ll want to enjoy it :)
Oooh sounds lovely that! A correction is always handy. Have a lovely weekend :)

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Jayden, I think you are doing it exactly right by estimating the carbs and giving him the usual amount of insulin. Even if you get it slightly wrong you can always correct later when he is home. I would rather he came home a little higher than usual than go too low whilst at the pizza place. I would say don't be tempted to give him more insulin because of the pizza itself being a tricky food, that is for fairly experienced insulin users and even they get it wrong sometimes! He will have a blast and each time he does something new he (and you) will gain that little bit of experience and knowledge of how things affect HIM. Of course it can still catch you out!! I am amazed at the Teachers being willing to give him his insulin mind. x

Jayden2407

Hi Jayden, I think you are doing it exactly right by estimating the carbs and giving him the usual amount of insulin. Even if you get it slightly wrong you can always correct later when he is home. I would rather he came home a little higher than usual than go too low whilst at the pizza place. I would say don't be tempted to give him more insulin because of the pizza itself being a tricky food, that is for fairly experienced insulin users and even they get it wrong sometimes! He will have a blast and each time he does something new he (and you) will gain that little bit of experience and knowledge of how things affect HIM. Of course it can still catch you out!! I am amazed at the Teachers being willing to give him his insulin mind. x

Thank you.
Yes we will learn from each time o suppose - being newly diagnosed we’ve so much to learn, especially as everyone is different.

After Jayden being given his insulin to carb ratio I have been giving him no more than 40-60 carbs each meal and he’s had great readings for the past 3 days (4-7)

The teacher used to do his injections in school but Jayden does his own injections now - diagnosed 4 weeks ago and started doing them himself over a week ago, I’m very proud of him xx

Reactions: KK123

Jayden2407

So Jayden decided he didn’t want to go to Pizza Hut in the end. It’s put him off eating out after the bad experience he had the first time we ate out.
He seems okay but he said he “can’t be bothered” with messing about with the carbs and stuff...

Thanks everyone for your advice, it’ll definitely help us in the future :)

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
So Jayden decided he didn’t want to go to Pizza Hut in the end. It’s put him off eating out after the bad experience he had the first time we ate out.
He seems okay but he said he “can’t be bothered” with messing about with the carbs and stuff...

Thanks everyone for your advice, it’ll definitely help us in the future :)

Maybe a take away pizza tonite?? You can then see the effects of Pizza on his BG's and do it safely at home?

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Aw, that's a shame. I'm betting he was a little bit put off by being the centre of attention with the Teachers counting his carbs and doing his injection, very understandable but I am convinced with a Mum like you he will soon be having pizza and doing it all himself! It's all about confidence and he seems to have a lot already for such a young lad and it being so new. I went on holiday to the USA last year (a few weeks after diagnosis, I didn't want to go but had already paid etc). The holiday was great but I obsessed about testing/eating/walking. 12 months on and I am going again and I can tell you I am no longer anxious, simply because I have worked out what works for me. x