School Trip - Pizza Hut All You Can Eat Buffet [emoji85]

Jayden2407

Aw, that's a shame. I'm betting he was a little bit put off by being the centre of attention with the Teachers counting his carbs and doing his injection, very understandable but I am convinced with a Mum like you he will soon be having pizza and doing it all himself! It's all about confidence and he seems to have a lot already for such a young lad and it being so new. I went on holiday to the USA last year (a few weeks after diagnosis, I didn't want to go but had already paid etc). The holiday was great but I obsessed about testing/eating/walking. 12 months on and I am going again and I can tell you I am no longer anxious, simply because I have worked out what works for me. x

Thank you @KK123 Yes I think it was the carb counting - the injections he does himself already. It is a shame but he seems okay about it and has made his mind up. He knows how to use the carbs and cals book but is probably a bit embarrassed doing it while he’s not with me. I’m sure as time goes on he’ll get more used to it.
Being so young he’ll grow with it, it’s his 11th bday on the 24th July :)

We too have a holiday booked on the 14th August, obviously booked before his diagnosis 4 weeks ago and I have done all my research, found out the nearest hospital (in case of emergency), nearest pharmacy, ordered all supplies, spoken to the airline about the extra luggage and even had the directions to places sent from google maps with sent to my iphone :) I’ll be taking some scales and getting the carbs and cals app on my phone for when we go.

The only thing I’m bothered about is the drinks over there. We’re going to Majorca - I wonder if sugar free drinks are available on the all inclusive? Xx

Jayden2407

Hello Jayden,

Believe me Jayden you will soon get the hang of this carb stuff. There is a forum on this website where you can talk to other young people who have to count carbs and inject insulin. This is the URL: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/children-teens.46/

Hi, it’s my son Jayden that is diabetic, he’s not on here yet.

I have told him about the forums so fingers crossed when he gets a bit older he will join thank you.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wonder if sugar free drinks are available on the all inclusive?

Agua or 'Coca cola light' or 'zero' or 'sin azúcar' are the expressions you require!

I was going to say travelling to a hot country can affect sugar levels (mostly downwards) but you may well already have a handle on that given the current climate! :happy:

Reactions: Jayden2407

Jayden2407

Agua or 'Coca cola light' or 'zero' or 'sin azúcar' are the expressions you require!

I was going to say travelling to a hot country can affect sugar levels (mostly downwards) but you may well already have a handle on that given the current climate! :happy:

Haha thank you! Jayden doesn’t drink fizzy drinks, just flavoured water or juice - do you know what the expressions are for those?!

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Maybe take a few of the concentrated sugar free Robinson's squeezy bottles with you. I always take one in hand luggage and fill up a water bottle airside. Unless in a sealed bottle it can be a good idea to test a drink really is sugar free.

Reactions: Jayden2407

Jayden2407

Hi. Maybe take a few of the concentrated sugar free Robinson's squeezy bottles with you. I always take one in hand luggage and fill up a water bottle airside. Unless in a sealed bottle it can be a good idea to test a drink really is sugar free.

Those little ones? I’ve seen those, thank you.
How do you test if it’s really sugar free? I just usually go off the nutrition on the packet.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Thank you @KK123 Yes I think it was the carb counting - the injections he does himself already. It is a shame but he seems okay about it and has made his mind up. He knows how to use the carbs and cals book but is probably a bit embarrassed doing it while he’s not with me. I’m sure as time goes on he’ll get more used to it.
Being so young he’ll grow with it, it’s his 11th bday on the 24th July :)

We too have a holiday booked on the 14th August, obviously booked before his diagnosis 4 weeks ago and I have done all my research, found out the nearest hospital (in case of emergency), nearest pharmacy, ordered all supplies, spoken to the airline about the extra luggage and even had the directions to places sent from google maps with sent to my iphone :) I’ll be taking some scales and getting the carbs and cals app on my phone for when we go.

The only thing I’m bothered about is the drinks over there. We’re going to Majorca - I wonder if sugar free drinks are available on the all inclusive? Xx
We went earlier this year 'coke zero' all the way...

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Ah just read the no fizzy.
Aqua con gas (fizzy)
Aqua sin gas (still)