Book Corner.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I've just finished reading The Watchmaker of Filigree Street by Natasha Pulley.
It was a fantastic read and i would recommend it to anyone wanting to read something different :)

Collected all the Waterstones stamped cards yesterday - they add up to a book! Happy! I was wondering what to buy so will have a look at this one.
Note to self, don’t forget to take reading specs

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anyone else read Reservoir 13 by Jon McGregor? It’s also a bit different - I liked it lots.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I agree; an excellent and different read. If you enjoyed that, you might like "The Night Circus" by Erin Morgenstern, as well.

Not tried this one yet - goody good good, another to look at for the Waterstones bonus.

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just finished Not a penny more, not a penny less by Jeffrey Archer. Couple of good twists in the book

Now I'm reading by Jeffrey Archer book 5 in the Clifton chronicles called Mightier than the Sword

I've also picked up something else to read from the library about the second world war. We shall see how it goes

Derbyshire Boy

I'm going through a general Vietnam War phase right now, documentaries, books, etc. So, one of the books I'm reading is "If I Die In A Combat Zone" by Tim O'Brien, an account of his time there ('69-70) in the US Army, written while the war is still on, in 1973. Brutal, sad, revealing, funny, horrific, but very good.

Reactions: gemma_T1

Goacher55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Now onto The Prodigal Daughter by Jeffrey Archer. (stupidly bought this and the follow up in a charity shop and I'm still reading the library book hee hee)

Also in my collection, up the corner, I have the follow up to the Nancy Bilyeau book called The Chalice. And another Jeffrey Archer - title eludes me at mo and I'm too lazy to go have a look.

2 books awaiting collection at the library - all good

I loved the prodigal daughter

Goacher55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I’m disabled, I can’t use the left side of my body following 2 strokes when o was 23. I’m a firm kindle fan but I volunteer in my local hospice care shop and 75 p per book I’m converted back to the wonderful smell and feel of books . It’s difficult to hold them but at 75 p im ok ! I do reading challenges where I ask random people to recommend a book a colleague with the same birthday as me suggested a book by James Patterson .. murder and twists :)

Reactions: Fairygodmother

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I loved the prodigal daughter

Did you go on to read the follow up? Called Shall I ask the President?

I havent read it yet as I'm reading the Clifton Chronicles.

I was part way through the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon but found other books to keep me interested. I'm finding the 5th Gabaldon one a bit hard going

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m disabled, I can’t use the left side of my body following 2 strokes when o was 23. I’m a firm kindle fan but I volunteer in my local hospice care shop and 75 p per book I’m converted back to the wonderful smell and feel of books . It’s difficult to hold them but at 75 p im ok ! I do reading challenges where I ask random people to recommend a book a colleague with the same birthday as me suggested a book by James Patterson .. murder and twists :)

Hi again. Do you have a book rest which may enable you to position the books a bit better? You may find somewhere like Amazon or Ebay would do one.

Also have you read any of the Peter James series about a detective called Roy Grace? They are pretty good books with a new one out at the moment but I have to wait my turn at the library :)

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I've just finished reading The Watchmaker of Filigree Street by Natasha Pulley.
It was a fantastic read and i would recommend it to anyone wanting to read something different :)

I’ve just begun reading this one. It’s midnight and I really ought to turn the light off and go to sleep but I want to go on reading.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been sifting through years of accumulated junk and having a bit of a declutter. I found several paper book tokens, (remember them?) I wonder if the shops still accept them? I have been thinning out my book collection too, so a few new ones are called for.

Derbyshire Boy

Currently reading this one. It's terrific, but the title is very slightly misleading, as the first part of the book also reaches back into the last quarter of the 19th century and talks about the history of the Ottoman Empire, effectively setting up the scenario for what happened in 1914 and thereafter...
51v9Q-99C4L._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Goacher55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Did you go on to read the follow up? Called Shall I ask the President?

I havent read it yet as I'm reading the Clifton Chronicles.

I was part way through the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon but found other books to keep me interested. I'm finding the 5th Gabaldon one a bit hard going

Yes I did I loved archer back in the day. A customer suggested I Read Martina Cole book it’s interesting, not my normal at all but I’m giving it a go.

Goacher55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm reading Lee child gone tomorrow a Jack reacher story

Tie biggest issue I have with jack reacher is that in my mind he was an enormous man mountain, 6 ft plus of muscle and 6 ft wide also muscle and then tom cruise plays him so wrong in my head I had someone like the rock playing him

Reactions: ROSIE1988

Julia McCoulough

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
Tie biggest issue I have with jack reacher is that in my mind he was an enormous man mountain, 6 ft plus of muscle and 6 ft wide also muscle and then tom cruise plays him so wrong in my head I had someone like the rock playing him
Yes he's sounds gorgeous

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I did I loved archer back in the day. A customer suggested I Read Martina Cole book it’s interesting, not my normal at all but I’m giving it a go.

Martina Cole's early stuff is very good. Her later stuff is all very samey to me so I stopped reading her books.

I read a book called London by Edward Rutherfurd and really enjoyed it. Found another of his called Sarum in a charity shop for 50 pence so I bought it. Then I did some research and discovered he has about half a dozen more so I bought them online - cost me £12 for all the books I hadnt got. Bargain. I'm looking forward to starting them and have told hubby that if I reserve any more books from the library he is to slap my legs. I have books everywhere that I have been buying and still reserve them from the library. Madness

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Off to the library today as book number 6 has come in from the Clifton Chronicles by Jeffrey Archer and also the latest Peter James. Guess what I'm doing today?

Goacher55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Martina Cole's early stuff is very good. Her later stuff is all very samey to me so I stopped reading her books.

I read a book called London by Edward Rutherfurd and really enjoyed it. Found another of his called Sarum in a charity shop for 50 pence so I bought it. Then I did some research and discovered he has about half a dozen more so I bought them online - cost me £12 for all the books I hadnt got. Bargain. I'm looking forward to starting them and have told hubby that if I reserve any more books from the library he is to slap my legs. I have books everywhere that I have been buying and still reserve them from the library. Madness

Alas I volunteer in 2 different hospice are shops. I love my kindle due to my disability but at 75 p. Book I’m adapting. My to read pike has decreased now to 83 books. I’m not even embarrassed.

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Alas I volunteer in 2 different hospice are shops. I love my kindle due to my disability but at 75 p. Book I’m adapting. My to read pike has decreased now to 83 books. I’m not even embarrassed.

Well you're beating me. I have about 30 books that I have to read. And yet I'll still buy more.

I need to get the archer series out the way and the Barbara Taylor Bradford series out the way. Then I can concentrate on these books. It's that bad I'm thinking of buying another bookshelf today ha ha