Rhuematoid Arthritis And Diabetes

Diabet1c

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just wondering if there's anybody else out there dealing with these two conditions and how its affecting them?
I'm 21 and have been diabetic for 13 years whilst dealing with the arthritis for 4.
Any feedback or information would be suuuper helpful

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Whilst I don't have both, Rheumatoid Arthritis comes from the same genetic issues that T1D does and is caused by an autoimmune attack, so is considered a "co-morbidity" for T1D (although I consider "co-disease" a better term), similar to Coeliac, Thyroid issues, psoriasis, vitiligo, Addisons and Multiple Sclerosis.

Once you are showing more than one, you should ensure that you are screened regularly for others.

Howie1961

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi I am type 1 20yrs now and just been diagnosed 6months ago with RA . As Tim says , they are both an AutoImmune response .

The high dose of steroids that were given to control the initial flare played havoc with my bloods - I am on a pump and had it wound out to +100% on basal and pretty much had to double or triple the bolus - however the pain relief was worth the effort :0

Now stable on 25mg methotrexate , zero steroid and bloods back to normal . Currently in official ‘remission ‘ .

Not sure much I can help with other than ‘yes I have both ‘.... oh and thyroidism thrown in for the hat trick of AI disorders :)

Howie

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi there Sorry for the delay in replying to your post. I too have rheumatoid arthritis.

The main issue for me is like Howie1961 is that I am on steroids and this has played havoc with my bloods.

Unfortunately Methotrexate had not been effective for me. I am hoping to start on biological therapy soon.

I also have other autoimmune conditions. They often go together

Not sure if this any help.

hazel p

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Me too! 40 years type 1 and on to 3 years now with RA. I’m having trouble getting the right medication for the RA. Going on to a JAC inhibitor this month. I refuse steroids as I can’t control the effects, even the pump up at 100.% doesn’t cut it. I just walk round dazed and confused with all the pain killers and the brain fog of RA. You have to endure the rain to see the rainbow though.

Reactions: Howie1961

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Diabet1c

before I was diagnosed diabetic, whilst in my 50s, I developed gout, which is simply another form of arthritis. It came on slowly but got worse and worse. I never went to my GP about it, because I prefer to find my own solution if possible. Indeed I did, mostly from icuredmygout.org, in the form of bicarbonate of soda.I took it at the time four times daily, but now take one at bedtime as a preventative measure.

I also learned that this can work for other forms of arthritis, as this article suggests

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/04/180425093745.htm

It's cheap as chips so worth a try
Geoff

Wegners

Just wondering if there's anybody else out there dealing with these two conditions and how its affecting them?
I'm 21 and have been diabetic for 13 years whilst dealing with the arthritis for 4.
Any feedback or information would be suuuper helpful
Hi, I have wegners granulomatosis, rhuematoid arthritis and some other issues, as a result I've been on steroids for 9 years and now have steroid induced diabetes and ostioperosis to spine and hips. It's just something else to deal with. My diabetes is currently under control with 4x 500mg sukkarta and 60 & 18 unit injections of insulin plus sitagliptin.