nikobasi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello,
I have been type 1 diabetic for 20 years but I havent learned about carb counting. I mostly used gramms to calculate novorapid units. For example

Morning : 100 gr bread + a glass of milk ( I inject 6 units novorapid)

Lunch: 400 gr carbs(macaronni, rice, potatoes e.t.c.)+ 100 gr meat or fish or cheese+300 gr salad with a teaspoon of olive oil+1 medium apple+30 gr bread(i inject 10 units novorapid)

Dinner: Same as lunch

The problem is I cannot determine how much novorapid units per carb exchange so I can make some modifications to my meals(eat less or more).
I can manage pretty well my blood sugars with gramms estimation but i want to learn carb counting. Thanks in advance.

K

Knikki

Look up Bertie Online which is an online course which can give some guidance to this or you could contact your Dr/ DSN and see if there is anything like DAFENE being run in your area, assuming your in the UK.

Although I've had diabetes for a little while carb counting is new to me.

Lots of people on here do carb count so some better advice should be along in a while :D

nikobasi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Look up Bertie Online which is an online course which can give some guidance to this or you could contact your Dr/ DSN and see if there is anything like DAFENE being run in your area, assuming your in the UK.

Although I've had diabetes for a little while carb counting is new to me.

Lots of people on here do carb count so some better advice should be along in a while :D

Thank you i really like this BERTIE online course

Reactions: Knikki

scotteric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello,
I have been type 1 diabetic for 20 years but I havent learned about carb counting. I mostly used gramms to calculate novorapid units. For example

Morning : 100 gr bread + a glass of milk ( I inject 6 units novorapid)

Lunch: 400 gr carbs(macaronni, rice, potatoes e.t.c.)+ 100 gr meat or fish or cheese+300 gr salad with a teaspoon of olive oil+1 medium apple+30 gr bread(i inject 10 units novorapid)

Dinner: Same as lunch

The problem is I cannot determine how much novorapid units per carb exchange so I can make some modifications to my meals(eat less or more).
I can manage pretty well my blood sugars with gramms estimation but i want to learn carb counting. Thanks in advance.

Just be aware that it's not an exact science. I was taught to carb count almost from day 1, but like most diabetics I wager, I often just use carb ratios as a starting point and then dose off my intuition and experience. There are so many variables that affect how insulin will be absorbed at a given point in time, including activity and stress levels, the weather, your immune system, etc. Plus, it isn't consistent across all foods as different foods digest differently. Pizza, ice cream and potato chips would all require a different amount of insulin and dosing strategy than a glass of orange juice for example. I also think CGMs have made carb counting more irrelevant, as I'll often make quick and continuous adjustments based on what my Dexcom says. I'm not saying carb counting isn't valuable or that you shouldn't learn it, I just think some of these courses and dieticians treat it like you just take x units of insulin for y grams of carbs and will always get the same result, and it just doesn't work that way.