I Thought I Was Doing Ok

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
but I’m not. I’m already sick of thinking about exactly what I can eat and if I have done enough (or indeed any) exercise. So far I’ve not fallen off the wagon but how can I do this forever? Sorry but I need somewhere to vent. I really hope I’m not identifiable to anyone on here who might know me irl

In the last few years I’ve lost my dad, my dog, two aunts. I’ve had surgery for 5 different things including 6 months of massive painkillers leaving me doped up and still unable to do many functions, gallbladder removed for chronic biliary attacks that had me rushed to hospital twice suspecting heart attacks, half my thyroid removed for a cancer scare this year. I’m panicking about everything different I feel in my body. I don’t trust it, or my gps as they misdiagnosed me more than once previously. I’ve not got much emotional support at home and a fair bit of stress there too.

I’m feeling why me? After everything else now this. I know I’m not alone but I feel it. Is there such a thing as support groups in person? I told my gp how I’m feeling and whilst he was sympathetic the only actual advice was eat well, moving more helps physical and mental health and try a local counselling service that I’ve used before and didn’t find overly helpful. I definitely don’t want anti depressants at this time but don’t want to head further down either. I know its a day at a time, one step, take care of myself, etc etc but knowing and believing/feeling it aren’t the same thing

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I am sorry to hear you are going through this and I really wish I could give you a hug, you sound as though you need it. The only advice I have to offer about support groups IRL is to check the small ads/services in your local paper, they often put calendar notes and invites for members there. You could try your local Gateway To Care branch, they may not be directly associated but may be able to signpost for you.

And you are allowed to vent here or rant or celebrate, you are among fellow Diabetics, knock yourself out and vent away, sometimes writing stuff out can clear the mind a little. Best wishes.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
but I’m not. I’m already sick of thinking about exactly what I can eat and if I have done enough (or indeed any) exercise. So far I’ve not fallen off the wagon but how can I do this forever? Sorry but I need somewhere to vent. I really hope I’m not identifiable to anyone on here who might know me irl

In the last few years I’ve lost my dad, my dog, two aunts. I’ve had surgery for 5 different things including 6 months of massive painkillers leaving me doped up and still unable to do many functions, gallbladder removed for chronic biliary attacks that had me rushed to hospital twice suspecting heart attacks, half my thyroid removed for a cancer scare this year. I’m panicking about everything different I feel in my body. I don’t trust it, or my gps as they misdiagnosed me more than once previously. I’ve not got much emotional support at home and a fair bit of stress there too.

I’m feeling why me? After everything else now this. I know I’m not alone but I feel it. Is there such a thing as support groups in person? I told my gp how I’m feeling and whilst he was sympathetic the only actual advice was eat well, moving more helps physical and mental health and try a local counselling service that I’ve used before and didn’t find overly helpful. I definitely don’t want anti depressants at this time but don’t want to head further down either. I know its a day at a time, one step, take care of myself, etc etc but knowing and believing/feeling it aren’t the same thing
Wow, you have certainly had more than your fair share of problems! If the low carb diet is causing you stress, I would say that with an HbA1c of 54 you do not need to panic and you can afford to ease up if that helps. I dropped from 53 to 42 in a couple of months with the simple regime of no sweet things, cakes, biscuits desserts etc and cutting down or out the main carbs, bread, potatoes, rice and pasta. No need to make it too complicated at first, do what you can and see how you are doing at the next test which should be in 3 months time.

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
Vent as much as you need. You have a lot to deal with. Stay strong.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mr pot that’s pretty much what I have done diet wise and it’s put me into keto. I’m still eating veg and salad and berries carb wise along with coconut and almond flours. Not sure what else’s there is other than the obvious no go stuff. And yeah I’m a bit overwhelmed with one thing after another health wise and now this lifelong balancing act. I do feel if I don’t take it seriously now then I’ll forever excuse myself and end up in a worse place which isn’t harder to get out of

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am sorry to hear you are going through this and I really wish I could give you a hug, you sound as though you need it. The only advice I have to offer about support groups IRL is to check the small ads/services in your local paper, they often put calendar notes and invites for members there. You could try your local Gateway To Care branch, they may not be directly associated but may be able to signpost for you.

And you are allowed to vent here or rant or celebrate, you are among fellow Diabetics, knock yourself out and vent away, sometimes writing stuff out can clear the mind a little. Best wishes.
Thanks. What’s gateway to care? Never heard of it

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Thanks. What’s gateway to care? Never heard of it

It is a place that deals with such things as access to social care, advice and aids for the disabled, information on fostering children and volunteering etc. If they can help you find organisations, groups or individuals who may be able to offer you assistance then they will or they will put you in touch with someone who might be able to help you further. They will be in the phone book or on Google.
I would guess that they have a register of some sort listing local support groups.

Reactions: Energize

Jaz006

Bless you... I think you need to be kind to yourself. You have been through a lot. What you need to do is find acceptance. Once you have accepted what you have been through. I.e, that you have had a **** time. Then you will feel better in yourself. You have been through a lot and you have made it through. That is an achievement in its self.

Ask your GP or Google your local Wellbeing Service. It's sounds like you may benefit from Talking Therapy / CBT

I am sending you a huge, some strength and my best wishes. Take care

Reactions: becca59

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
I agree that talking therapy can be very helpful. It may not seem to help at the time, but it has been proved to be the most effective cure for those who are feeling down. I know poor health is very depressing; I've had my fair share myself, but look on the bright side. We are still here, alive and kicking:)

Jaz006

Sometimes you just have to accept that 'you're only human'. Most people feel they are always in the s***. It's just the depth that varies...I guess:banghead::blackeye:

Reactions: HSSS

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sometimes you just have to accept that 'you're only human'. Most people feel they are always in the s***. It's just the depth that varies...I guess:banghead::blackeye:
Yeah I KNOW that. Just FEELS like my depth has been too deep too long and I need some fresh air

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree that talking therapy can be very helpful. It may not seem to help at the time, but it has been proved to be the most effective cure for those who are feeling down. I know poor health is very depressing; I've had my fair share myself, but look on the bright side. We are still here, alive and kicking:)
Yep and I want to keep kicking. Just need to fight my way out of this feeling

Coopsy91

Sending you my thoughts.
I myself am a hypochondriac at the best of times, i spiral into negative thoughts very easily so i know where you are coming from, diagnosis with such conditions gives you an overwhelming awareness of your mortality.
Talking to people helps me a lot, small notions of support and understanding, try having a little search through youtube for motivational speakers and lectures, sometimes a key phrase, story or speech can reverberate within you and lift your spirits.
Having a vent on here is also good, you will see the comradery and support.

:angelic::)keep your head up