Type 1 Lantus Drop

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello.. I noticed a drop of my bg of around 40-50 points after 50 minutes of taking Lantus. Now I feel fine but I felt shaky before. My question is... is this normal? Do you guys drop like this? Anyway I am still waiting to see what is gonna happen. Thank you in advance. *feeling peaceful*

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello.. I noticed a drop of my bg of around 40-50 points after 50 minutes of taking Lantus. Now I feel fine but I felt shaky before. My question is... is this normal? Do you guys drop like this? Anyway I am still waiting to see what is gonna happen. Thank you in advance. *feeling peaceful*

Hi @alphabeta ,

"40-50 points" drop, from where? When did you last inject a fast acting insulin.? (Is there still ovorapid on board too?)

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi again,

Could be the bolus? It can still be active for up to 5 hours? The 4th hour for me can sometimes be a trial... :)
I guess not to be honest... by the basal injection all previous basal and bolus would wear out

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I guess not to be honest... by the basal injection all previous basal and bolus would wear out

I agree the Lantus will tail off at 22 hours. Depends on what you ate & the timing & accuracy of the bolus too?

What number was your BG test when injecting the Lantus?

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree the Lantus will tail off at 22 hours. Depends on what you ate & the timing & acuaracy of the bolus too?

What number was your BG test when injecting the Lantus?
Well pre dinner it was 16.6; bolused and corrected but insulin shooted out like crazy :( my sugar was 17.7 when I took Lantus, 1 hour later 15.1 then 12.9 10 minutes ago. Why... I am already taking 10 units of Lantus still trying to get my dose

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well pre dinner it was 16.6; bolused and corrected but insulin shooted out like crazy :( my sugar was 17.7 when I took Lantus, 1 hour later 15.1 then 12.9 10 minutes ago. Why... I am already taking 10 units of Lantus still trying to get my dose

To clarify, did you give a correction dose in addition, at the time of bolus for the meal?