Lantus And Fat

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
[READ MY MOST RECENT POST FIRST]

Given what I just experienced, could it be that I am injecting in an area that does not contain enough fat for Lantus to "crystallize"?
Thank you.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning @alphabeta ,

Hope you're OK? Just seen this.. From our discussion last night. Here. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/lantus-drop.153933/#post-1834623

(& other subsiquent posts on another thread?)
It is also possible you injected Lantus into muscle tissue? Which could have this fast effect..?

Though, my "money" is also on your bolus & correction playing a part....
Good morning! Have a very nice day!
My best bet is that I injected into an area with relatively low fat. However, I will try my thighs tonight and let you guys know how it goes

Reactions: Jaylee

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's possible, but the way you describe it in the thread Lantus Drop, doesn't sound like my experience with a Lantus-low. When that happened to me I was dropping very fast within 20 minutes, going unconscious after an hour or maybe two hours, despite drinking a lot of undiluted lemonade and awoke two hours later, still hypo.
Granted, I didn't start out as high as you did so I had less wiggle room, but it happened so fast I had hardly time to react.
To me, your experience looks more like you were already dropping but still high before the meal, so an overdone bolus. On the other hand, it might be that in your case just a little of the Lantus didn't chrystallize. I think there is no way to tell for sure.

Why not switch to another basal? As far as I know Lantus is the only one with this problem.
Hope you find a solution, good luck!

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's possible, but the way you describe it in the thread Lantus Drop, doesn't sound like my experience with a Lantus-low. When that happened to me I was dropping very fast within 20 minutes, going unconscious after an hour or maybe two hours, despite drinking a lot of undiluted lemonade and awoke two hours later, still hypo.
Granted, I didn't start out as high as you did so I had less wiggle room, but it happened so fast I had hardly time to react.
To me, your experience looks more like you were already dropping but still high before the meal, so an overdone bolus. On the other hand, it might be that in your case just a little of the Lantus didn't chrystallize. I think there is no way to tell for sure.

Why not switch to another basal? As far as I know Lantus is the only one with this problem.
Hope you find a solution, good luck!
I am quite certain that I didn't unject into a muscle or a vein. This is the third day going like this. Weird

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The problem with Lantus dropping low very rapidly, isn't so much injecting into muscle, though I'm sure that doesn't help, but injecting into sites that have been used too many times, and have the wrong sort of fat, which I can neither remember the name of, or spell.

So you have to be very careful with injection sites, with Lantus.

Which was the reason I switched to Levemir. T1D is stressful enough without having to worry about that as well.

A few months ago, I had a similar experience, where I dropped to 1.6 quite rapidly. The next day I split the dose, on the grounds that if it happened again, at least it would be less insulin to deal with. But I've switched to Levemir.

Tresiba should also be ok, I'm not sure about Toujeo, because that is similar to Lantus, but longer lasting, and could be even worse.

But Tresiba, or Levemir, should be ok, as alternative basals, if you have that option. Some people on this site are reliant on insurance schemes, that mean they can't do that. But if you're in the UK, and NHS, you can.

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The problem with Lantus dropping low very rapidly, isn't so much injecting into muscle, though I'm sure that doesn't help, but injecting into sites that have been used too many times, and have the wrong sort of fat, which I can neither remember the name of, or spell.

So you have to be very careful with injection sites, with Lantus.

Which was the reason I switched to Levemir. T1D is stressful enough without having to worry about that as well.

A few months ago, I had a similar experience, where I dropped to 1.6 quite rapidly. The next day I split the dose, on the grounds that if it happened again, at least it would be less insulin to deal with. But I've switched to Levemir.

Tresiba should also be ok, I'm not sure about Toujeo, because that is similar to Lantus, but longer lasting, and could be even worse.

But Tresiba, or Levemir, should be ok, as alternative basals, if you have that option. Some people on this site are reliant on insurance schemes, that mean they can't do that. But if you're in the UK, and NHS, you can.
To be honest I always inject in my back arms but recently I lost 5 kgs due to an expired bolus and since a while my levels of basal started dropping dramatically! I suspected this being the cause but now it has been confirmed at least to say. Thank you

Reactions: Alison54321

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
UPDATE: Today I tool Lantus in my thigh and everything seems to be fine! Just like before! Turns out probably I have low fat in my arms

Reactions: Alison54321

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
UPDATE 2: Sugar dropped again... Guess I will be on Tresiba for now on