Irish Diabetes Care

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello! I might be moving to Ireland for work (Dublin to be precise) and I've tried to do some research about diabetes care in Ireland but it seems to be very confusing. can anyone give me a breakdown of how it works, who I need to talk to and costs? Also I know you can buy the libre over the counter, is it prescribed anywhere?

Any other general advice about life in Ireland would be appreciated!

Canvaspic

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have no experience of type one care. But most of the health system in ireland is severely under resourced. You will get your insulin and Diabetic meds free. Don’t believe anyone has had the libre prescribed in Ireland. The HSE scheme for Diabetes is the “Long Term Illness Scheme”. There is a form, which can be downloaded, get an Irish GP to fill out the relevant bits and send it in. Also it might be useful to bring your E111 until you are settled and registered.

Last edited:
Reactions: isjoberg

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am too long out of the country to be of any help. In 2016 My mum was diagnosed T2 aged 77 and had no back up whatsoever, no dietetic advice or regular checks, given a meter but just left to sort it out herself. I would hope its better for T1s and would imagine Zdublin city might be more clued in.

JoeT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My Diabetes care has been pretty great since my diagnosis last year. I live in the west of Ireland so can't speak for those in Dublin etc.

As for the Libre, you can buy over the counter/from Abbott, but it is only being prescribed to people under 18 years of age and dependent on circumstances. Recently there was a petition put forward in order to get it prescribed for everybody with Type 1, that is ongoing at the moment.

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My Diabetes care has been pretty great since my diagnosis last year. I live in the west of Ireland so can't speak for those in Dublin etc.

As for the Libre, you can buy over the counter/from Abbott, but it is only being prescribed to people under 18 years of age and dependent on circumstances. Recently there was a petition put forward in order to get it prescribed for everybody with Type 1, that is ongoing at the moment.
And it's pretty easy to buy otc? Just got some things to think about in wage negotiations, and wanted to see if diabetes was going to end up costing me more!

diabetic12yrs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Depending how long you are staying. When you get an address register with the diabetes clinic in the nearest hospital. And look into getting a ling term illness book. Insulin is free with that. I'm living in Dublin

KateMeg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello! I might be moving to Ireland for work (Dublin to be precise) and I've tried to do some research about diabetes care in Ireland but it seems to be very confusing. can anyone give me a breakdown of how it works, who I need to talk to and costs? Also I know you can buy the libre over the counter, is it prescribed anywhere?

Any other general advice about life in Ireland would be appreciated!
I found diabetes care in Dublin much better than the UK! One appointment per 6 months but they do everything (eyes/feet/bloods) in one go. St Vincents in Booterstown is brilliant. Also, your pump consumables go automatically to your pharmacist so it's easier to pick up things all in one go.

Surprisingly, Ireland is also a lot better than the UK for low-sugar or sugar-free food and drinks. Good luck!

Reactions: isjoberg