Diabetes2/treatment eloquently explained

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Thank you Zand. . I have found fellow humbugs addicts on this site. I didn’t realise you could get sugar free sweets!? But these won’t necessarily be low or zero carb will they!? Can you get a zero/low carb sugar free sweet at all anyway? Or would it consist of nothing ? Hadn’t even thought outside my beloved humbugs box haha x
try the lowcarbmegastore, they have loads of low sugar sweets. Just be careful cos they can keep you on the loo!!

Reactions: ROSIE1988

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you Zand. . I have found fellow humbugs addicts on this site. I didn’t realise you could get sugar free sweets!? But these won’t necessarily be low or zero carb will they!? Can you get a zero/low carb sugar free sweet at all anyway? Or would it consist of nothing ? Hadn’t even thought outside my beloved humbugs box haha x
Don't have too many at once....sugar free sweets can have a laxative effect! However I do reckon it's a good idea to use them for a time while you still crave the real thing. That's one problem sorted then :)

Edit: you beat me to it @dawnmc :)

ROSIE1988

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you dawnmc too. I just Lao found a company called carblife! They offer low carb and low sugar sweets too. Bit confused though as can you have low carb low sugar/sugar free sweets? Or do you have to trade one for the other. Have seen some sugar free sweets but they are still loaded with calories. Or don’t we worry about the calories? Feeling quite excited about buying some though! thank you. Cheered me right up this has !

Reactions: zand

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
but after this I will close my account on here as I have also found out it is a PRIVATE COMPANY - I always thought this website was a Charity! This changes everything.

The forum may well be run by a PRIVATE COMPANY...but I have yet to spend a single cent on any of the products or services offered here...

On the other hand...I have spend a fair amount of time sharing my views on T2D reversal over the past 2 years here...

and feel greatly rewarded for the opportunity to clarify my thoughts and perhaps help others who are struggling thru the same confusion that has misdirected us all due to the decades of misinformation and misguidance.

Last edited:

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
1. BY REDUCING CARB INTAKE TO LESS THAN 20G PER DAY YOU WILL EXCLUDE ALL SORTS OF HEALTHY NUTRIENTS, THIS COULD LEAD TO NUTRITIONAL DEFICIENCIES.
2. THESE DIETS OFTEN SUGGEST EATING A HIGH AMOUNT OF FAT, WHICH MAY NOT IN ITSELF BE VERY HEALTHY.
3. SUCH A LOW CARB DIET IS RARELY SUSTAINABLE IN THE LONG TERM.

I wonder when David Cavan's book that
@ROSIE1988 is relying on was published?

According to this article published today, he's quoted as saying that the low carbohydrate diet can "absolutely" reverse Type 2 diabetes:

https://www.express.co.uk/life-styl...erse-diet-low-carbohydrate-blood-sugar-levels

It takes enormous courage for someone to radically change their long held professional views and state so publicly. We should seek to understand why...

ROSIE1988

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. My Hubby has just brought me some sugar free sweets. Suitable for diabetics. It says 98g carbs per 100g. Of which sugars nil. So these are sugar free but these are still not good for my lower carb way of eating are they? I’m not going to open them yet until I find out more. I need a low carb sugar free sweet ideally. Is there even such a thing!? It is it in itself impossible? Thank you anyone who could explain this for me.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. My Hubby has just brought me some sugar free sweets. Suitable for diabetics. It says 98g carbs per 100g. Of which sugars nil. So these are sugar free but these are still not good for my lower carb way of eating are they? I’m not going to open them yet until I find out more. I need a low carb sugar free sweet ideally. Is there even such a thing!? It is it in itself impossible? Thank you anyone who could explain this for me.
What are these sweets called? Does it say what the ingredients are? I don't eat sweets, low carb or otherwise but I am interested to know what they are made of.

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
When I was first diagnosed and needed some help people on this forum were giving advice and giving answers to questions that made more sense to me than any advice I received from a HCP. I read and 'lurked' for months before I signed in for the first time. Without any pressure I found a way to manage my diabetes and to keep my bg at a level that I was happy about. What impressed me was the way that the discussion was open, people were supportive of each other, and there was no pushing of any one way to manage, nor any cost - it was up to the individual to find their own way. Since signing in, I have not spent a penny nor have I received any funds, I have offered advice from my own experience in general terms. I found my mother supportive, she trained as a nurse in the early 1950s and diet was a strong suit of hers, another relative who trained more recently also supported what I found out through using my meter.
Whoever set up the website has helped a huge number of people to help themselves. I try my own low carb diet, with some foods that I buy in for convenience from the supermarket. I spend a small fortune at the cheese stall on the local market, and found a whole world of flavours I did not know existed. Cheese made with horseradish is wonderful with meats and fish, cold soups through the hot weather are a light meal mid day that keeps me going until it is cool enough in the evening. I do not yet subscribe to the 'fasting is good for you' group, but they get results that they can live with that way, I get mine differently. My one pot vegetable stews through the winter are different every time because the ingredients are varied.
Now I am settled and feel reasonably in control I may look at what some of the doctors say online, but from a position that I now know what works for me. I don't really want to improve my bg much at present as long as it stays at its present level (fbg between 4.6 and 5.2) and my weight stays the same, but I am keeping my options open and if I need help I will ask for it and consider all advice given before making a decision.
As for sweets, there are a couple of brands available with various flavours through a high street health food store and usually I find a couple are sufficient to satisfy a 'sweet' need after a savoury meal, but be careful they may have a laxative effect.

ROSIE1988

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Still hanging on in there. Things are improving as we have allowed a few more carbs. Just need to know why is cream down as having less carbs than milk?

Reactions: Serena51

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Still hanging on in there. Things are improving as we have allowed a few more carbs. Just need to know why is cream down as having less carbs than milk?

Cream is milk with the whey removed. It is the whey that contains the lactose (sugar).

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow...so many issues, thoughts. As a retired NHS nurse, I agree there are many areas of life that attract conflicting opinions. In the NHS you get mostly impartial advice as few - mostly seniors medics - have any commercial interests. Remember GPs are not part of NHS, they are contracted to NHS so may have interests in some cases. Money really does fudge the issues imho. I think it is a case of finding out what works for each of us. My nurse training taught me basics about diabetes and that there was only one path to health. Nearly 40 years on, clearly that is not true. We are all different.
I included a tiny amount of tagliatelle in my meal last night and - bingo - the spike was obvious.
Today’s experiment, given semi skimmed milk even in small quantities spikes me, is single cream watered down. Less than half the carbs. Might die of clogged arteries though...
Exercise plus the v low carb diet helps me lose weight.
I use my glucometer regularly. Am getting a picture of what I can eat if I am being sensible.
Although retired I am fortunate enough to have decent pension so I can afford smoked salmon, cream in my coffee, and lucky me, many others are not in a position to do this.
I start a gym induction tomorrow - my family will be rolling in the aisles laughing - bless them.
I am still surfing on the wave of congratulation I got when I gave up fags 18/12 ago cold turkey.
Listen to your body, ask questions, take nothing as gospel.

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
******, the message left out my pictograms of 3 glasses of red wine. Always have a reward, we all deserve it.

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mmm. I just spent a few minutes in local shop. Not best stocked by any means so I was actually looking for whipping cream which I believe has the least carbs. Didn’t have it so I went for next best low sugar which was single cream. Blonde has absolutely nothing to do with it (she said in a sensitive moment being blonde!) For what it’s worth, I believe full fat yoghurt has less carbs than the low fat stuff. This is all new to me too so I am armed with magnifying glass when I go shopping. Low fat products tend to have all sorts of **** in them, much of which are sugars.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So is full fat milk better? Don’t shout if I having a blonde moment haha..
Because a little of the whey is displaced by fat in full fat milk it has slightly less carbs per litre than skimmed or semi skimmed. The difference is marginal and not really worth worrying about if you just have a little in your tea.

ROSIE1988

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Get it now. No offence intended. I am blonde too and I do have blonde moments though haha. Red wine sounds good though have not had one for weeks. Seeing what happens when I don’t have it weight wise. No carbs in red wine then? At least that’s something

Reactions: Serena51
P

pollensa

Ps. Fung says exercise doesn’t make a difference really and Cavan says it does!? What on earth are we supposed to think and do. Both are highly respected but who do we believe and why?
This may assist and clarify any confusion. To my understanding....

Dr. Fung indicates diet is the main area to target and focus as Diabetes is a dietary disease. He indicates, exercise on top is very good, ultimately, its what you eat or dont eat is the vital importance. i.e. Diet changes and exercise together.

Dr. Cavan I quote from Reverse your diabetes page 152 raised awareness on exercise as follows amongst other.

"a more recent study has looked at effect of exercise in conjunction with diet people diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Encouraging people to undertake 150mins exercise each week, did not in fact, lead to any significant benefits above the effect of dietary advice along, suggesting that at least in the early stages of diabetes changes are the most important. "

Dr. Fung and Dr. Cavan more or less both indicate dietary changes seem to be the main area to focus on and with all or any exercise on top of this change, will prove beneficial.

Hope this assists, thats the way I read into it.