Storing Open Insulins In Fridge

nikobasi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello, I have been using novorapid and lantus pens for more than 10 years. All these years I have been keeping the used novorapid and lantus insulins in the fridge.
Just few days ago i learned that opened lantus should be kept in room temperatures and not in the fridge but with novorapid flex pens i can store the used insulins either in fridge or in room temperatures and i am really panicked right now.
Is it that a big deal? I am afraid of hypos. Note that i live in a very hot climate in sumer 30 degrees and i dont know if i should keep lantus in room temperature.

K

Knikki

Just done a quick Google "how to store open lantus" and it came back as "store in refrigerator or at room temperature below 30 degrees C do not freeze"

nikobasi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just done a quick Google "how to store open lantus" and it came back as "store in refrigerator or at room temperature below 30 degrees C do not freeze"
Why you are ironic? I asked i think an important question.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's fine to store between a little above freezing and a little under 30 degrees C for about month after opening. Don't worry. And I don't think Knikki was being ironic, he probably just used Google to find the instructions for Lantus to help you out and came up with the right answer.

Reactions: Knikki and nikobasi
K

Knikki

Why you are ironic? I asked i think an important question.

Ironic?????? you asked a question I gave and answer, if you don't like the answer then use Google yourself, personally I would store in the fridge which is BELOW 30 degrees C as recommended.

Summer temps are at 30? I also guess more than that.

Last edited by a moderator:

nikobasi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Ironic?????? you asked a question I gave and answer, if you don't like the answer then use Google yourself, personally I would store in the fridge which is BELOW 30 degrees C as recommended.

Summer temps are at 30? I also guess more than that.

Its up to you your choice where you want to store the lantus.
I am sorry , i did not understand your answer.

Reactions: Antje77 and Knikki
D

Deleted Account

I would store open insulin out of the fridge and have done so with Lantus and NovoRapid.
I understand insulin "flows" better when it is not cold and may sting when injected if it is cold.

If the temperature outside is 30 degrees it is unlikely for the insulin to reach these temperatures when kept in the shade and in a bag which would provide some insulation.
I have a pump and have no option to keep open insulin in the fridge.
When I am on holiday, I use Frio packs if I am in very hot climes. If you are concerned, you can use these at home.

I notice you are using Flex Pens.
Are you aware of the refillable pens?
The cartridges are much smaller than whole pens so take up less space in the fridge, a spare takes less space in your bag, the produce less waste and cost less.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: nikobasi

nikobasi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Anyway, i think that storing opened insulin it's kind of grey area. To be honest i never had any problems with stored used insulins in the fridge and i have been using them more than 10 years . But i find it weird that novorapid has different guidelines than lantus about storing used insulins.

nikobasi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I would store open insulin out of the fridge and have done so with Lantus and NovoRapid.
I understand insulin "flows" better when it is not cold and may sting when injected if it is cold.

If the temperature outside is 30 degrees it is unlikely for the insulin to reach these temperatures when kept in the shade and in a bag which would provided some insulin.
I have a pump and have no option to keep open insulin in the fridge.
When I am on holiday, I use Frio packs if I am in very hot climes. If you are concerned, you can use these at home.

I notice you are using Flex Pens.
Are you aware of the refillable pens?
The cartridges are much smaller than whole pens so take up less space in the fridge, a spare takes less space in your bag, the produce less waste and cost less.

What i observed is that insulins that i have injected right out of the fridge are more painful and that they can be issues related to mechanic parts of insulin. Of course if you are careful i dont think you will face any problems.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What i observed is that insulins that i have injected right out of the fridge are more painful and that they can be issues related to mechanic parts of insulin. Of course if you are careful i dont think you will face any problems.
I haven't had problems injecting from the fridge on hot days (easier to walk to the fridge than to keep track of sunny patches in my living room), and I haven't had problems either in winter, when room temperature at night is close to 4 degrees Celsius and I had to tuck my meter in my armpit before it would read my bg. I have had problems with insulin not working too well because it supposedly had been too warm for maybe half an hour. You don't have to worry about hypo's if insulin gets too warm, it will just work less so you'll need more units.

Reactions: nikobasi

nikobasi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
So i am planning a cruize trip for a whole day. If i store my used insulins from fridge to my frio cooling wallet i would not face any problems with insulins? I would store the frio case in the shade.

Reactions: Dodo

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So i am planning a cruize trip for a whole day. If i store my used insulins from fridge to my frio cooling wallet i would not face any problems with insulins? I would store the frio case in the shade.
Perfectly fine! Have a nice trip!

Reactions: Dodo