Cheiroarthropathy Newly Diagnosed

Stu_the_blue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi
Just been diagnosed with Cheiroarthropathy , seems to be getting worse , anyone else suffer with this and can give me some advice please

lmc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was sent to physio years ago. They recommended wax baths. It is a small device with paraffin wax in that melts and you put your hands in. It did help.They sell them at Amazon. I have meaning to do again lately as hands really dry but too hot at moment. You can put your feet in as well. It leaves them really soft. They gave me exercises at physio but I cannot remember what they were.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Stu_the_blue,
I have been on insulin for 51 years. I have a middle finger that about 4 years ago developed a slight bend, could not be straightened. But over time I have stretched it out as straight as I could and it is still slightly bent when straightened but not as much. The following are other hand conditions which may not be related but seem to have similar tissue issues.
22 years ago I suffered from carpal tunnel syndrome when extra tissue builds up around the nerve as it goes through and tunnel in the centre of the wrist and squeezes the nerve, plus trigger fingers where the tendon running along the finger develops a lump which has difficulty slipping through the tissue 'pulleys'. I would close my finger like making a fist and the lump would slide through and get stuck so that I could not straighten that finger except by extreme effort or using my other hand. And when the lump slipped back through the finger would suddenly straighten, hence the description of trigger.
Best Wishes and I hope your troubles do not inconvenience you too much .

Darren1977

Hi
Just been diagnosed with Cheiroarthropathy , seems to be getting worse , anyone else suffer with this and can give me some advice please
Hi Stu, I have been diagnosed with cheiroarthropathy for about 10 years now and it has got worse over time. I particularly find that when it rains and when there is cold weather, the pain is worse. I was referred to a doctor who gives me cortisone steroid injections in my hands roughly about every 6 months. I have 8 injections, 4 in each hand that are injected into what I think are called the flexi tendons. This does help quite a lot, it use to last for a good 4-5 months in the first couple of years, but now it only lasts for about 6 - 8 weeks, if I am lucky. Unfortunately, I find cheiroarthropathy very painful, my job made it worse, which I have had to give up because of it. Its unfortunate because I really enjoyed my job, which was working at Halfords as an Auto-fitter. I was one of the people who would change your car battery if you needed one and change your wiper blades and exterior car bulbs, often putting my hands in places they did not fit! The other way I manage the pain is with painkillers and I am no on some very strong painkillers, which I am trying to cut the dose down. The only other thing besides the cortisone injections and painkillers that is of help, is to soak my hands in a bowl full of hot water that has Epsom salt in. This does give good instant relief, but unfortunately does not last long at all. Hope this helps.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi Stu, I have been diagnosed with cheiroarthropathy for about 10 years now and it has got worse over time. I particularly find that when it rains and when there is cold weather, the pain is worse. I was referred to a doctor who gives me cortisone steroid injections in my hands roughly about every 6 months. I have 8 injections, 4 in each hand that are injected into what I think are called the flexi tendons. This does help quite a lot, it use to last for a good 4-5 months in the first couple of years, but now it only lasts for about 6 - 8 weeks, if I am lucky. Unfortunately, I find cheiroarthropathy very painful, my job made it worse, which I have had to give up because of it. Its unfortunate because I really enjoyed my job, which was working at Halfords as an Auto-fitter. I was one of the people who would change your car battery if you needed one and change your wiper blades and exterior car bulbs, often putting my hands in places they did not fit! The other way I manage the pain is with painkillers and I am no on some very strong painkillers, which I am trying to cut the dose down. The only other thing besides the cortisone injections and painkillers that is of help, is to soak my hands in a bowl full of hot water that has Epsom salt in. This does give good instant relief, but unfortunately does not last long at all. Hope this helps.
In Oz chemists stock hard warmers and toes warmers, gel pack style ? of use in your winter ???

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't have those problems but I do get painful fingers in cold weather .I use hothands hand warmers ,they are like a tea bag which warms up on contact with the air I put them in my gloves and they stay warm for about 8 hours .You can't reheat them but they are not expensive and because they are flexible I can wrap them round the most painful fingers
Carol