Storing Insulin In This Weather

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

Quick question I know unopened insulin is kept in the fridge door area etc etc.

But where are people storing their daily insulin in this heat to prevent it from going bad?

Currently mine is stored in dark cupboard but the room temp is still around 29c at about 8-9pm, on the tube journey into work I've stared using the Frio cooler cases. Are people putting their daily insulin in the fridge overnight? or in a cooler pack or just leaving it out as usual?

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
My pen in use I leave out. I have had no problems so far. No noticeable raises in BG's. I

Reactions: kev-w

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My in use basal stays in my fridge and my bolus goes in a Frio wallet and if it wasn't in there it'd be in the fridge too.

Reactions: Knikki and porl69

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
SOOOO are we saying in this weather it wou't go off just leaving out and about.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Obviously don't leave it somewhere where it's in direct sunlight or liable to get hot (car, windows sill etc), a cool cupboard/drawer (which is where mine is kept) should be fine.

D

Deleted Account

SOOOO are we saying in this weather it wou't go off just leaving out and about.
Unless I left my insulin in direct sunlight, I would not be concerned.
If you want to be cautious, you can use Frio pouches and I have taken these on holiday.

All insulin should come with a piece of paper which includes details such as "operating conditions"

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Definitely keep out of direct sunlight and do not leave it in the car. In work mine is under the desk and at home my bolus and basal are on my table my the side of the settee out of direct sunlight

Reactions: Dodo

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dang-it! flash of inspiration, collectively we've come up with the cause and cure for T1 - we just need to fix/replace the mini fridge located in our pancreas :wideyed::eek::hilarious:

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
My in use basal stays in my fridge and my bolus goes in a Frio wallet and if it wasn't in there it'd be in the fridge too.

My Lantus used to sting like crazy if stored in the fridge also the NovoSluggish used to. BUT Fiasp and Tresiba dont sting at all even straight out of the fridge. I just keep them out now thru force of habit

Reactions: Dodo and kev-w

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My Lantus used to sting like crazy if stored in the fridge also the NovoSluggish used to. BUT Fiasp and Tresiba dont sting at all even straight out of the fridge. I just keep them out now thru force of habit

I never thought about the sting as I assumed it was just the injection :banghead: but yes fair point :facepalm: but I've always tried to keep it in the fridge, the Frio wallet's been in a draw for 2 years and only came out after I got the Libre :)

Reactions: porl69

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dang-it! flash of inspiration, collectively we've come up with the cause and cure for T1 - we just need to fix/replace the mini fridge located in our pancreas :wideyed::eek::hilarious:

Like this :p?
8b00a35cdc227714cc46d6b4d9a4c644.jpg

Reactions: Dodo

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Aye, around 1963 :)

It would be hard to swim with it :p

It would be hard to walk with that strapped to your back!! I think I may have said no if my dietitian had offered me that pump lol

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
34 degrees Celcius over here today, so no cool cupboards around. Usually my Tresiba lives next to my bed, but it's moved to the fridge now. Pretty annoying because I forget and have to get out of bed and go downstairs right when I close my book and want to go to sleep. I like to keep my short acting on me at all times, so very happy I ordered a frio bag last week.

Sweetheart66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have the Medtronic 640g and find mine a bit too bulky. I remove it and put it behind me if sitting in the sun.