Hypoglycemia ?

cmor16

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Apologies in advance for the long post!

I've been pre-diabetic for a few months. I got all the kit and completely turned my diet around and lost about 10 pounds. I monitored my blood and other than first thing in the morning when it was nearly always slightly high it was invariably normal. I started to add stuff in that I'd never have even considered at first and was always OK so I began to think I was "cured". I'm gluten free anyway and have a good diet with no grains so I haven't gone completely off the rails!
However...yesterday I went out for lunch and by the time we sat down I hadn't had anything to eat for about 19 hours but felt fine. I had a glass of wine and could feel it going straight to my head even though I had diluted it with water as I always do now. Anyway to cut a long story short I had a nice meal, couple of glasses of wine (with water) then went home, at which point I started to feel really weird. I had bad floaters in my left eye and just felt really headachy and light-headed. I felt I needed food so my husband made me an omelette and I had loads of water but my eye was really bothering me with flashes etc so I just went off to bed.
I had a PVD (posterior vitreous detachment) in my right eye about seven years ago and I think that's what has happened again and am going to the docs this morning to see about it but what I want to know is this:

1. Was it hypoglycaemia?
2. Does this mean I'm not "cured" as I thought
3. Would this have caused the PVD?

I am absolutely kicking myself and feel such a bloody fool. I will NEVER drink on an empty stomach again and that's a fact.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Apologies in advance for the long post!

I've been pre-diabetic for a few months. I got all the kit and completely turned my diet around and lost about 10 pounds. I monitored my blood and other than first thing in the morning when it was nearly always slightly high it was invariably normal. I started to add stuff in that I'd never have even considered at first and was always OK so I began to think I was "cured". I'm gluten free anyway and have a good diet with no grains so I haven't gone completely off the rails!
However...yesterday I went out for lunch and by the time we sat down I hadn't had anything to eat for about 19 hours but felt fine. I had a glass of wine and could feel it going straight to my head even though I had diluted it with water as I always do now. Anyway to cut a long story short I had a nice meal, couple of glasses of wine (with water) then went home, at which point I started to feel really weird. I had bad floaters in my left eye and just felt really headachy and light-headed. I felt I needed food so my husband made me an omelette and I had loads of water but my eye was really bothering me with flashes etc so I just went off to bed.
I had a PVD (posterior vitreous detachment) in my right eye about seven years ago and I think that's what has happened again and am going to the docs this morning to see about it but what I want to know is this:

1. Was it hypoglycaemia?
2. Does this mean I'm not "cured" as I thought
3. Would this have caused the PVD?

I am absolutely kicking myself and feel such a bloody fool. I will NEVER drink on an empty stomach again and that's a fact.

Hi there cmor16 - It sounds like yesterday was a fairly rotten day, by the end of it.

I'm sure you probably know what I'm going to say, but nobody here can tell you what happened yesterday. you're doing the right thing seeing your Doc this morning, to see what's happening with your eye.

Should you have another episode where you feel as you did yesterday (although hopefully minus the eye thing!), then do some finger prick testing and see where you are. That might at least give you a few more clues. although when we're feeling rough we don't always think of these things!

You mention you are GF already; is that because you have Coeliac or are gluten intolerant, or is it a lifestyle choice made prior to pre-diabets rearing it's head? If you avoid gluten, based on coeliac or gluten intolerance, what are your symptoms from a "glutening"? I am GF and can have some quick dramatic symptoms when I trip up and unlknowingly consume gluten.

Good luck at the Doc's and let us know how you get along.

cmor16

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi DCUK, I had a lovely day-it was just when I got home all the trouble started! I didn't realise how many hours I'd gone without food and just didn't think alcohol on an empty stomach would affect me so much, as that's what I'm blaming because I still feel rotten today even though I didn't have that much to drink.
I'm gluten free because I have Hashimoto's Disease (autoimmune) and it's recommended for that. I don't seem to normally react that badly when I suspect I've been glutened so I really am putting it down to the demon drink...none of which is going to pass my lips for quite some time after this!
I've got an appointment to see an optician later this afternoon and am completely back on the wagon, testing my blood etc as this little episode has scared me to death :-(

GinnyIckle

Type of diabetes
LADA
Drinking on an empty stomach will do that, whatever your glucose level. :/
If your eyes started flashing again please seek help immediately; delay can be ... expensive. As your eye doctor no doubt said. I hope the appointment went well otherwise!
19 hours is a long time. I know I'd be a wreck far sooner; my glucose crashes.
Maybe try testing more for a while, as suggested above, especially if skipping meals?
Hope all's well by now.

cmor16

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Drinking on an empty stomach will do that, whatever your glucose level. :/
If your eyes started flashing again please seek help immediately; delay can be ... expensive. As your eye doctor no doubt said. I hope the appointment went well otherwise!
19 hours is a long time. I know I'd be a wreck far sooner; my glucose crashes.
Maybe try testing more for a while, as suggested above, especially if skipping meals?
Hope all's well by now.

It's been diagnosed as a PVD but I have to take it easy for a week in case my retina detaches :-( So I am well and truly back on the wagon.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yes, alcohol poisoning not to be confused with a hypo!

And yes, not a good idea to drink on an empty stomach. I have learnt this lesson myself! It's incredible what a difference eating a hearty meal, or at least - fats and protein - does to dampen down or eradicate the poisoning aspect!

A shame to put alcohol into the same basket as dangerous drops in insulin and glucose, hashimoto, and a PVD. (Poor you! No wonder it turned out to be a bad day!)

Reactions: cmor16