Driving In Germany

itman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
hi there,

Can anyone advise on the German driving rules for an insulin dependent diabetic? In the UK the rule is you need to be “5 to drive”. What are the German ripples for a visitor on holiday ( driving less than 5 days)

I am registered with the DVLA and have a normal 3 year licence. I am wellies controlled and have never had any hypos that required intervention by another person. I have never been hospitalised although I am managed by a hospital consultant.

Thanks

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @itman ,

Don't quote me on this.. I apply the same rules in the UK as an insulin dependant on the continent.. & I've drive all over including Germany. Got stopped in Holland a few years ago. Never any issue. (It's still the EU.) ;)
Like you no issue with hypo awairness. Full 3 year max licence.

Make sure your insurance covers you abroad. Mine as a matter of course covers me in EU countries.

Have a great trip!

itman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @itman ,

Don't quote me on this.. I apply the same rules in the UK as an insulin dependant on the continent.. & I've drive all over including Germany. Got stopped in Holland a few years ago. Never any issue. (It's still the EU.) ;)
Like you no issue with hypo awairness. Full 3 year max licence.

Make sure your insurance covers you abroad. Mine as a matter of course covers me in EU countries.

Have a great trip!
Thanks. That has always been my view too. Just thought after many years.. perhaps I should try to find out. Googled and not a thing!

Maybe someone on here might like to take that as a project and document the requirements for travellers driving in various countries :)

Reactions: Jaylee

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: Jaylee

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
I'll tag @Wurst , as he lives in Germany, and there is at least one othe rmember does, but I can't rerecall their exact name.

It's the same as the UK here, over 5 mmol or 90mg/dl (as you're on the continent)