Living On Your Own In A Flat Tpye1

BrixtonType1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Type 1 just looking for help from people talking about living on there own in a flat any one got anything to say on this it would be great

Reactions: kerrygold59

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @BrixtonType1 ,

Welcome to the forum.

How long have you been diagnosed?

As moderator in these here parts, i could move this thread to the T1 section & get the ball rolling on this topic for you? :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Type 1 just looking for help from people talking about living on there own in a flat any one got anything to say on this it would be great

Hello and welcome, it nice to 'meet you' Have a look around the forum, there are some type 1 threads about.
When were you diagnosed and how are you getting on ?

D

Deleted Account

I would say "Go for it!"

I have lived alone for half of my type 1 life.
I have hypo treatments in most rooms and no one else to eat them.
I have always tested regularly which is probably even more important when living alone to catch any hypos.

It's probably a good idea to keep someone close by on speed dial and give them a key just in case but this should mostly be for peace of mind.

If you do anything which is more likely to lead to hypos such as go out for a "session"one night, it may be a good idea to bring someone you trust home with you ... and it's just in case.

For me, living alone was part of growing up and being independent. I loved not having to navigate around someone else's mess, eat what I want, when I want, watch what I want without any comment, ... and learning to enjoy my own company.
Diabetes should not take that away from you.

So, as I said at the start , GO FOR IT!

Reactions: Prem51

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I prefer to have someone else under my roof while taking insulin fearing that I hit a vein or muscle then pass out. Otherwise okay.. I live with my family anyway

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
What worries you about potentially living alone?

BrixtonType1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Jaylee and alphabeta I’ve been diagnosed for a month all new to me. Staying with family at the moment. But family going away on a five day planed break without me and I just wanted people to explain to me how they cope on there own.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
What worries me about living alone hypos in sleep

I have been a single parent for many years and I often thought about hypo's and looking after a baby/young child.
Make sure you check your BS before bed, I know some member's have a snack before bed, but I have never done this. Keep hypo treatments within easy reach, probably easier for you as you live in a flat and you could always set an alarm to wake you during the night to check your level. It is more difficult living alone with type 1, so have you asked any of your diabetes team for any help or advice about this ?
ps I used to live in Brixton London, many years ago.

Reactions: Dodo and Prem51
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi Jaylee and alphabeta I’ve been diagnosed for a month all new to me. Staying with family at the moment. But family going away on a five day planed break without me and I just wanted people to explain to me how they cope on there own.

You just do cope,I had no choice, didn't know any type 1's, no Internet either but it is early days for you and you are feeling anxious, but try not to get too stressed out and talk to your diabetes team.

My Ex left me with two children, then I was hospitalized with type 1 diabetes, I was hundreds of miles away from home too, I traveled back on my own, on 2 coaches, I resumed family life with my children and work too, as a single parent. We just have to get on with it.

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @BrixtonType1, I must admit I have never lived by myself, so maybe not the best person to advise, but the number of times I have needed help from somebody else because of hypos or whatever else, in nearly 21 years of diabetes, I can count on one hand.
Do you have hypo awareness or had night time hypos before?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi @BrixtonType1 , Just merged this thread with the one you started in Gen chat. Same topic. keep stuff in one place?
Just rounded up your 3rd thread too.. ;)

I've lived alone & lived/traveled with others who don't really understand diabetes.. & i've done stuff like living in my van for a while when i stuffed up on accommodation as a student.. Toured with a band who are pretty much to messed up themself to help if i had an episode!
Now i'm married.. Pretty much took all the "possibilities" for granted over the years.

If you could get a friend nearby to check up on you for the duration of the family break? Maybe a text or call good evening/good morning so they know all is well with you?

I'll tag in some other T1s who may have some ideas? @Mel dCP @therower @Scott-C (Scott is our techy :)) @himtoo

BrixtonType1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone I’m newly diagnosed with type 1 just over a month now my sugar level been fine keeping it with in 4 to 10 and I make sure it a high 10 before sleep but family have booked a planed 5 day so I will be home alone trying to find a better understanding of what it’s like

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thanks for the tag @Jaylee :)

Hi @BrixtonType1 and welcome to the forum, can I ask how old you are? And what testing and insulin have they got you on?

I don’t live alone now but I am home alone a lot, and in my early days I was living alone - I was 24 and studying. I always, always keep dextrose tablets by by bedside, at least two packs - plus my testing kit, so that I don’t even need to get out of bed to find the things I need. I’ve fallen over before, so I make things as easy for myself as possible. So whatever your favourite hypo treatment is - juice, jelly babies, Coke - keep it within reach just in case. That alone will give you some peace of mind, I hope. But if you feel hypo, and you left your test kit in another room, deal with the hypo first!

If you’re super worried about going hypo in your sleep, set a couple of alarms for during the night, so you can test, make sure you’re ok, and go back to sleep. Get a friend, neighbour or relative to check on you now and then, perhaps?

Reactions: Prem51 and kev-w

BrixtonType1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Mel 44 I do live alone but I’m now staying with family to cope I’m on levemir morning and evenings and novorapid with meal have dextro at hand diagnosed a month now not sure if I felt a hypo yet notice feeling a bit rough when getting low just looking for good advice

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I live alone, in a flat. I just don't take any risks. I check my blood sugar a lot, and just sort of remain constantly aware of it.

But you have to trust yourself a bit, or probably a lot, to believe that you can cope with the unexpected.

It's a long long long time since I had a hypo where I couldn't sort it out myself.

Because you are newly diagnosed there is a risk you experience a honeymoon period while your family is away, which might mess up your blood sugars. But as you are injecting regularly you aren't at risk of DKA, so in your situation, I might run just a little bit higher while they are away. Just lower the dose a unit or two, to keep in safe territory.

But it's just remaining aware, especially being aware of the times when you are most likely to have a hypo, and watch for those times.

I

Draco16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, probably my best advice would be - and you might want to do this long term anyway - but don't have food that you need to inject your novarapid for within 3 hours of going to bed. That way you'll being going to bed with very little short acting insulin on board. So if you have your Levemir dose about right you should stay flattish overnight from your pre sleep blood test and not crash.

If you're especially nervous you could reduce your evening Levemir a touch also, but sounds like you have pretty good control now.

Good luck, i've lived on my own on and off since diagnosis, it's doable.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi Mel 44 I do live alone but I’m now staying with family to cope I’m on levemir morning and evenings and novorapid with meal have dextro at hand diagnosed a month now not sure if I felt a hypo yet notice feeling a bit rough when getting low just looking for good advice
Same age as me, then :) A hypo feel like being unpleasantly drunk, with a bit of a panicky feeling on top, you’ll often get warning signs with a sweat on your top lip - that’s a good sign to do a test, or if you just start to feel a little off. Testing when you feel strange will soon teach you what being at the lower end of your range feels like. But like the others have said, perhaps run a little higher at night when your family are away - and make sure your last dose of Novorapid is a good 3-4 hours before you hit the pillow - gives it chance to clear your system.

Reactions: Sani Thomas