Insulin Injection - Bleeds And Leaves Bruises

B2Reading

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello Again,

I am 19+5 days pregnant, and on Novorapid pens for last 4 weeks - 2 times a day with 4 units each (lunch and dinner).

I occasionally have a bleed on the injecting spot, and it leaves a bruise thereafter.

I take my daytime injection on my stomach, and evening ones on the legs (thighs). I change spots on the stomach, and alternate the legs each evening.

Am I injecting it incorrectly? Is there anything like this will cause the insulin to not act (since not injected in right way?)

Very confused!

Please help...

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
it sounds like you are catching a small blood vessel as you are injecting, which is causing the bleed and subsequent bruise, your insulin will still be working. unfortunately you can't predict where these vessels are under the skin so keep rotating the injection sites. You are doing well so don't worry too much.

Take care.

Reactions: B2Reading

B2Reading

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Diet only
it sounds like you are catching a small blood vessel as you are injecting, which is causing the bleed and subsequent bruise, your insulin will still be working. unfortunately you can't predict where these vessels are under the skin so keep rotating the injection sites. You are doing well so don't worry too much.

Take care.
Thank you! Its good to know I am not doing something silly :)

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No, I try to keep it soft by sitting so that it is fleshy when I inject, but never pinched or stretched. Should I try any?

Thanks!!
Personally, I never pinch anymore but I stretch my skin, it makes veins more clear to see if there is any and massively reduces pain! Anyway I do that only with my thighs I don't have a third arm to stretch my arm ;)

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
No, I try to keep it soft by sitting so that it is fleshy when I inject, but never pinched or stretched. Should I try any?

Thanks!!
I would defo start to pinch the skin a bit. I have always pinched the skin up. Every now and again I will get a small bleed or bruise BUT very seldom now

B2Reading

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally, I never pinch anymore but I stretch my skin, it makes veins more clear to see if there is any and massively reduces pain! Anyway I do that only with my thighs I don't have a third arm to stretch my arm ;)
Thanks, I will try doing that. I am not very good with needles and blood tbh :p But will try to be brave and have control over it going forward

B2Reading

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Diet only
I would defo start to pinch the skin a bit. I have always pinched the skin up. Every now and again I will get a small bleed or bruise BUT very seldom now
Thanks for the info. I will try doing the change and see if it helps me. Appreciate you all sharing ur experience :)

Reactions: porl69

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Thanks, I will try doing that. I am not very good with needles and blood tbh :p But will try to be brave and have control over it going forward
I hate needles.....T1D for 46 years too :)

Let us know how you get on

B2Reading

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Diet only
I hate needles.....T1D for 46 years too :)

Let us know how you get on
Oh... Brave of you :) I am in between type 1 and type 2 somewhere, had pancreatitis as a child, and guess pancreas have worn out over the years now. Insulin deficient but not dependent as they call it.
Have been told to have insulin for pregnancy, and go back to diet after delivery, fingers crossed...

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Oh... Brave of you :) I am in between type 1 and type 2 somewhere, had pancreatitis as a child, and guess pancreas have worn out over the years now. Insulin deficient but not dependent as they call it.
Have been told to have insulin for pregnancy, and go back to diet after delivery, fingers crossed...
Fingers crossed after the baby is born everything will go back to normal
Congratulations on the pregnancy too

B2Reading

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Diet only
Fingers crossed after the baby is born everything will go back to normal
Congratulations on the pregnancy too
Thank you! Much awaited pregnancy as I have a 9 year old, and this one took a long wait to actually happen :)

ealingr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Are you taking aspirin? I was prescribed aspirin when pregnant (due to having T1 diabetes) and found it made me bruise more easily than when I wasn't pregnant.

I've been on an insulin pump for a few years but the rare times I had bleeding back when I was on an insulin pen I don't remember it having any effect on insulin absorption. I never liked injecting on my thighs, though - always preferred stomach or backs of arms, personally. :)

B2Reading

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you taking aspirin? I was prescribed aspirin when pregnant (due to having T1 diabetes) and found it made me bruise more easily than when I wasn't pregnant.

I've been on an insulin pump for a few years but the rare times I had bleeding back when I was on an insulin pen I don't remember it having any effect on insulin absorption. I never liked injecting on my thighs, though - always preferred stomach or backs of arms, personally. :)
Thank you for that information - yes I am on Aspirin too... I will raise it with my consultant in next meet, just to make sure.
I had just once bleed on stomach too :p
Tbh, since I have started pinching as suggested here , its better, had only once bled since then on the thigh.

Lets see how many bruises I would end up with until the little one pops out :)

Really appreciate the support I get here...its so assuring to know I am not alone doing stuff and getting confused!!

Reactions: ealingr

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @B2Reading, Congrats on your pregnancy. I wonder whether the influence of your hormone levels during pregnancy are causing your blood vessels to be more dilated (larger in size) so that you might be more likely to hit one when injecting.
I would imagine your BSLS would reflect whether the injected insulin was working sufficiently and reliably and thus not affected by the bleeding under the skin.