Changing Pumps After 9yrs

Laura93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi everyone! I've had the same make of insulin pump for 9 years. But the manufacturer is no longer making the Animas pump. I've been told by my nurse to look at the Medtronic or the Pod. So i was wondering if people could give me some advice on which is the better one, and if anyone else is having to change pumps like i am. Thanks

Sweetheart66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm using the Medtronic 640g and love it although its the only pump I have used. I like having a cannula so I can vary my sites. It has the choice of a large reservoir as my insulin use is fairly high. You can bolus from the meter but bolus wizard only available direct on pump. Clear bright screen on pump.

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
I also have the Medtronic 640g and I also love it. It's my first pump so I can't compare it with anything else.

Reactions: Sweetheart66

Laura93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm using the Medtronic 640g and love it although its the only pump I have used. I like having a cannula so I can vary my sites. It has the choice of a large reservoir as my insulin use is fairly high. You can bolus from the meter but bolus wizard only available direct on pump. Clear bright screen on pump.
Hi thanks for the advice. My insulin usage is also quiet high and from what I have read it sounds like my old one more than the pod does. Thanks again.

Reactions: Sweetheart66

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’be been on the pod for a just over a week now, it’s my first pump, MDI for 20 years before that. I love the tubeylessness of it, it’s really small too. The reservoir holds 200u of insulin to last three days. I love it.

daisy22

I started off pumping with a Medtronic veo. It was great and had no problems.

I switched to an omnipod and that is good too, no cables or wires to worry about. Great for summer with swimming etc .

I have found my skin seems quite allergic to the pod. It's ok on my arm but leaves a lot of marks on my tummy and legs. I do use a spray that is supposed to protect the skin, but it doesn't seem too. Good luck with what you decide.

Better than 5 injections a day!

ccwood001

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone! I've had the same make of insulin pump for 9 years. But the manufacturer is no longer making the Animas pump. I've been told by my nurse to look at the Medtronic or the Pod. So i was wondering if people could give me some advice on which is the better one, and if anyone else is having to change pumps like i am. Thanks
Hi
I started on the Medtronic 522 then the Veo. I then had the animas which was my favourite pump by far. Just changed to the 640g it's nice and does the job but I miss my animas. Not sure why as it works the same. I do like when I connect to the sensors and the automatic low activates but as I self funded I do not wear 24/7. I think the biggest question is do you want to be tubeless. I didn't as I like to know I can remove my pump at any time but that's my personal preference. I know may people who love the pod. You can get a sample pod to wear and see how you like it. There is also another pump made my medtrum that is approved by the NHS this is also a patch pump with very affordable sensors at 35 each and also links to the pump and has hypo suspend.

Good luck

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am just leaving Animas (totally gutted) and have chosen the 640g. I wore a test pod for just over 24 hours. It gave me the chance to feel what the cannula was like going in and how the pod felt. I can imagine it's great on back of arms but I didn't like it on my hips. It hurt slightly inserting and was sore (I think angles sets don't suit me). I kept knocking it and it felt annoying. You could see it through my clothes. When I removed it I left it on the side so I got to experience a squealer when it started alarming about 6 hours later. Faffing about to get a paperclip into the hole was a right nuisance. The dosing on a pod is awful and only 70% accurate with larger doses. Having been on Animas that wasn't acceptable to me. My DSN said lots of people moving to pod had trouble with the dosing and it's the least accurate pump out there (papers been written on this). For some that doesn't make a difference but I'm a brittle diabetic so need a very accurate pump. The temp basal can't be set as high as the vibe and the screen on the PDM was rubbish. I found it annoying I couldn't just bolus - you have to skip through enter BG and enter carbs. The 640g is the closest pump to my vibe and it isn't much bigger at all. I can wear it on my bra fine and the screen is so clear. The only downsides are that there's no fast bolus button, it only comes in black and it's not luer lock. Tubing has never bothered me and I like the fact that if a set fails I don't lose all my insulin etc. Failed pod means refilling.

Sweetheart66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am just leaving Animas (totally gutted) and have chosen the 640g. I wore a test pod for just over 24 hours. It gave me the chance to feel what the cannula was like going in and how the pod felt. I can imagine it's great on back of arms but I didn't like it on my hips. It hurt slightly inserting and was sore (I think angles sets don't suit me). I kept knocking it and it felt annoying. You could see it through my clothes. When I removed it I left it on the side so I got to experience a squealer when it started alarming about 6 hours later. Faffing about to get a paperclip into the hole was a right nuisance. The dosing on a pod is awful and only 70% accurate with larger doses. Having been on Animas that wasn't acceptable to me. My DSN said lots of people moving to pod had trouble with the dosing and it's the least accurate pump out there (papers been written on this). For some that doesn't make a difference but I'm a brittle diabetic so need a very accurate pump. The temp basal can't be set as high as the vibe and the screen on the PDM was rubbish. I found it annoying I couldn't just bolus - you have to skip through enter BG and enter carbs. The 640g is the closest pump to my vibe and it isn't much bigger at all. I can wear it on my bra fine and the screen is so clear. The only downsides are that there's no fast bolus button, it only comes in black and it's not luer lock. Tubing has never bothered me and I like the fact that if a set fails I don't lose all my insulin etc. Failed pod means refilling.
If you email Medtronic and say you were disappointed to find no stickers in the box like they use to provide, they will offer to send you some free. Also Animas provided a free silicone skin at one time so, if you say you are disappointed about no free skin they normally send you one free! You just have to choose a colour.
I love my 640g but it has been my only pump.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Was it the 640G or the Omnipod you trialed? A little confused in your description in the post