Tens Machine, Tens Pads And Libre

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have in the past used a Tens machine for my dodgy shoulder, is there any reason the pads could affect affect a nearby Libre sensor?

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Interesting.
I can't think of a reason, but might be precautionary to use other side. Make sure Libre isn't between TENS pads.

Reactions: kev-w

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How long do you have left on the sensor, @kev-w ?
6 Days :) aye, I'm sat kind of "shall I shan't I" as it's on the back of the arm with the painful shoulder less than 4" away from where the pads would go, my arm's not going to fall off or stop working if I don't use it :) but the shoulder's what I bought it for so I wonder.

Reactions: kitedoc

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
6 Days :) aye, I'm sat kind of "shall I shan't I" as it's on the back of the arm with the painful shoulder less than 4" away from where the pads would go, my arm's not going to fall off or stop working if I don't use it :) but the shoulder's what I bought it for so I wonder.

In your shoes, I'd try to wait until a couple of days before the end of the sensor, then it isn't to catastrophic if it all goes a bit wonky.

My logic says it should make no difference, but if your Tens activity makes your muscles twitch, the interstitial fluid immediately surrounding it might react as if you're in heavy exercise mode.

Of course my logic could be fatally flawed, on either of those musings!

Curiously enough, I was rummaging in a deep drawer today where a few things are stored (rather than a drawer that's in everyday use), and there was my Tens machine. That I was surprised to see it tells you how long since I needed it.

Is the shoulder rotator cuff damage?

Reactions: kitedoc and kev-w

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In your shoes, I'd try to wait until a couple of days before the end of the sensor, then it isn't to catastrophic if it all goes a bit wonky.

My logic says it should make no difference, but if your Tens activity makes your muscles twitch, the interstitial fluid immediately surrounding it might react as if you're in heavy exercise mode.

Of course my logic could be fatally flawed, on either of those musings!

Curiously enough, I was rummaging in a deep drawer today where a few things are stored (rather than a drawer that's in everyday use), and there was my Tens machine. That I was surprised to see it tells you how long since I needed it.

Is the shoulder rotator cuff damage?

I'm also thinking to wait a couple of days :) and then I'll know, I don't know really what's up, rotator cuff execrcises help but it's likely a few things, age & wear & tear from rugby, weights & swimming, a couple of bike crash impacts trapped nerve et al, it comes and goes but occasionally flares up like now and I found the tens to be a help (EBay bargain :) ) but haven't had the pain whilst using the Libre till now....

Reactions: kitedoc

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I messaged Abbotts this morning and they were going to find out and get back to me but they must be busy.

I'll ask them again tomorrow :p

Reactions: porl69

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
At long last a reply from the makers :p

Hi Kev, Apologies for the delay in getting a response for you. But we wanted to ensure we provide you with the most accurate response on your question and we had consulted the relevant department regarding this and have now heard back from them with a reply for you. Abbott Diabetes Care has not evaluated the performance of the FreeStyle Libre System in patients undergoing treatment with a TENS machine, therefore we cannot confirm that it is safe to use. It is advisable to consult with your healthcare professional, and refer to the warnings in the user manual, should you have concerns regarding your treatment plan. Your healthcare professional will be able to exercise a degree of professional discretion in determining the most appropriate therapy options.

Helpful.... :)

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Update :) sensors last night and I've 2 pairs of tens pads stuck nearby, scans at 10.2 and a fingerstick reads 10.4 so there appears to be no problem using a tens machine....

Sy23

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Interaction confirmed with Tens and Libre
Noticed abnormalities in the way of Low BG readings :-
• I didn’t put 2+2 together - thinking it was just a ‘rogue sensor’ or I’d knocked the patch
• After the penny dropped- it was when I’d used the newly purchased Tens for relief of neuropathic pain, that the Libre started mis-reading..
• Will try and upload comparison screen shots between Libre and calibrated Finger Prick

Sy23

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
71430501-D589-4AD7-86B5-5F7EA53D38DC.jpeg

Attachments

• 91C1AAA6-4B6B-4FF3-B8D4-49E243861D79.png
    91C1AAA6-4B6B-4FF3-B8D4-49E243861D79.png
    149.6 KB · Views: 44

Sy23

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Interaction confirmed with Tens and Libre
Noticed abnormalities in the way of Low BG readings :-
• I didn’t put 2+2 together - thinking it was just a ‘rogue sensor’ or I’d knocked the patch
• After the penny dropped- it was when I’d used the newly purchased Tens for relief of neuropathic pain, that the Libre started mis-reading..
• Will try and upload comparison screen shots between Libre and calibrated Finger Prick
Pics uploaded