Buy An Insulin Pump?

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was just looking at this page of the NHS Type 1 information hub:
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/type-1-diabetes/insulin-pumps/

I had thought you weren't officially allowed to self fund an insulin pump?
Has anyone done this & was it possible to get the associated paraphernalia (cannulas etc) on the NHS?
I'm doing too well to qualify for an NHS pump apparently..

Reactions: kitedoc

Michael090382

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Too many to mention
I was just looking at this page of the NHS Type 1 information hub:
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/type-1-diabetes/insulin-pumps/

I had thought you weren't officially allowed to self fund an insulin pump?
Has anyone done this & was it possible to get the associated paraphernalia (cannulas etc) on the NHS?
I'm doing too well to qualify for an NHS pump apparently..

Hi,

I am totally in the same boat as you by the sounds of it. According to the NICE guidelines I cannot have a pump. Although I have been experiencing dawn phenomenon and having to object about 8-11 times approx to stay in control. I am trying to meet with another consultant outside of my own clinic to discuss as he knows my parents.

Where abouts are you from DunePlodder if you don’t mind me asking?

Thanks

Michael

D

Deleted Account

Have you spoken to your diabetes team or are you just assuming you will not qualify based on your interpretation of the NHS guidelines?

According to my HB1AC, I will not qualify for a pump.
However, I was offered a pump based on the number of hypos I was having during exercise.
It was not stopping me from exercising but I was hypoing most times I went to the gym as my BG fell fast or going high when climbing to the extent that it limited the length of time I could climb.

Unfortunately, it is a postcode lottery.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm in North Somerset.
No I haven't - it was actually a fairly casual conversation with my GP.
I was just surprised to see that self funding was officially sanctioned & wondered if anyone had gone down this route.
I wouldn't do it until I'd exhausted the NHS option.
I think anyway that the killer would be the cost of the routine consumables - I'm already funding a Dexcom G6 which is quite expensive enough!

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm sure at least one person was given pump funding due to the number of times they had to inject each day to achieve good control. @donnellysdogs came to mind but it could be someone else.

Reactions: Ceebee2

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'm aware of a couple of people that have managed to persuade the system to allow them to self-fund a DanaRS pump and get the CCG/Trust to pay for the consumables. Don't think they are members of the forum though. It's certainly worth a try if using INPUT's tips and tricks doesn't work....

Reactions: DunePlodder

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'm sure at least one person was given pump funding due to the number of times they had to inject each day to achieve good control. @donnellysdogs came to mind but it could be someone else.
Might have been me. Was injecting tiny amounts (0.5-2u) up to 18 times a day to maintain control, as bigger doses would send me hypo. That was to deal with insulin resistance at certain parts of my reproductive cycle. Plus I was having to inject at 3&5am for dawn phenomenon every day. I got my pump three weeks ago and it’s completely changed my life. My HbA1c was in the forties.

Michael090382

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Too many to mention
Might have been me. Was injecting tiny amounts (0.5-2u) up to 18 times a day to maintain control, as bigger doses would send me hypo. That was to deal with insulin resistance at certain parts of my reproductive cycle. Plus I was having to inject at 3&5am for dawn phenomenon every day. I got my pump three weeks ago and it’s completely changed my life. My HbA1c was in the forties.

I don’t have to object that many times but it does really effect me, especially since I have previously had to see a health psychologist for needle phobia. Been diabetic for 30 years and still not really much further forward with it. I am like you though as I need to be up at least once at 3am basically every night to inject.

I only now have the proof of the dawn phenomenon as I have been self funding the dexcom G6. Before I had this info tho I was told by my consultant that I would not get a pump via the nhs as my hba1c was well within the guidelines.

Getting by is often tough but I just need to keep plodding on until something changes.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I think @Mel dCP was also injecting many, many times a day st various times

Michael090382

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Too many to mention
Sorry that should have said inject that many times. Stupid autocorrect!

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I chipped in upthread :)
Opps! I had a boy's look again and missed it !! Does that make me the lowest monkey on the totem pole O Ruler of the Multiverses?