Struggling To Administer Insulin

Libby3781

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I ordered one of these today as well. I hate needles but have now been prescribed insulin which I start next week. I'm buying anything that will lessen the absolute hell and emotional trauma I am expecting ahead of my appt with the DN next week.

I don’t know if this suggestion will help you. The first appointment I had with my DSN nurse in the hospital, she had a rubber duck ready to practice injecting in.

Now, since I’ve started to struggle injecting I’ve purchased some small rubber ducks, so I can practice on should the need arise. That said tho, so far so good in my case with using the TickleFlex. It might be an option worth considering for yourself, to have some rubber ducks on standby to help with injecting if necessary.

Attachments

• 9AE6F1D8-CD4D-4D21-ACD1-646636FC9AA1.jpeg
    9AE6F1D8-CD4D-4D21-ACD1-646636FC9AA1.jpeg
    150.4 KB · Views: 400
Reactions: XxTinkerxx

XxTinkerxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude & condescending people. I will call you out on it.
I don’t know if this suggestion will help you. The first appointment I had with my DSN nurse in the hospital, she had a rubber duck ready to practice injecting in.

Now, since I’ve started to struggle injecting I’ve purchased some small rubber ducks, so I can practice on should the need arise. That said tho, so far so good in my case with using the TickleFlex. It might be an option worth considering for yourself, to have some rubber ducks on standby to help with injecting if necessary.
I'm hoping she'll let me practise on her instead of hurting those little rubber duckies

Reactions: Libby3781

Libby3781

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Tinker,

I hope you’re ok? Have you had your hospital appointment yet? If so, how are you getting on with the insulin?

Please keep us posted, as and when you can

XxTinkerxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi Tinker,

I hope you’re ok? Have you had your hospital appointment yet? If so, how are you getting on with the insulin?

Please keep us posted, as and when you can
Hiya!

Day 3 of insulin in jections and I'm still not loving the idea. Appt was on Wed at my Dr Surgery. I saw the DN and she was lovely. Made me practice on some square thing then I had to inject myself.

Following day (yesterday) had a melt down at work so boss suggested I went home. He was nice about it and knows what's been going on.

Bank Holiday this weekend so I have 4 days at home to relax and come to terms with this.

Still waiting for my tickle flex to arrive. It was ordered over a week ago direct from the supplier. Somewhat disappointed as I was hoping it would be here before my appt.

Thank you for asking about me x

Libby3781

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya!

Day 3 of insulin in jections and I'm still not loving the idea. Appt was on Wed at my Dr Surgery. I saw the DN and she was lovely. Made me practice on some square thing then I had to inject myself.

Following day (yesterday) had a melt down at work so boss suggested I went home. He was nice about it and knows what's been going on.

Bank Holiday this weekend so I have 4 days at home to relax and come to terms with this.

Still waiting for my tickle flex to arrive. It was ordered over a week ago direct from the supplier. Somewhat disappointed as I was hoping it would be here before my appt.

Thank you for asking about me x

Hi Tinker,

Firstly, how are you? Have you received your TickleFlex yet? (Hopefully you have), if so are you finding that is helping?

If you haven’t received it yet, I’d personally contact the supplier and see what they say.

How are you finding taking the insulin tho? What advice did the DN give you. From my first appointment I was advised to increase my dosage by 2units, on a Tuesday & Saturday. This I’ve been doing gradually depending on my overall BG levels.

My current stats, are like this. 32units at bedtime is bringing my BG from 4.9 - 6.7 in the morning. In my case that’s the lowest readings I’ve had in approximately 3 months.

XxTinkerxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi Tinker,

Firstly, how are you? Have you received your TickleFlex yet? (Hopefully you have), if so are you finding that is helping?

If you haven’t received it yet, I’d personally contact the supplier and see what they say.

How are you finding taking the insulin tho? What advice did the DN give you. From my first appointment I was advised to increase my dosage by 2units, on a Tuesday & Saturday. This I’ve been doing gradually depending on my overall BG levels.

My current stats, are like this. 32units at bedtime is bringing my BG from 4.9 - 6.7 in the morning. In my case that’s the lowest readings I’ve had in approximately 3 months.
Hey Libby!

I'm pleased to say that my Tickle Flex arrived approximately 2 weeks after I first ordered it.

Before it arrived I was using a cube of ice to numb the area. First time I used the Tickle Flex I felt it, so I am now using the ice beforehand as well.

I showed it to my DN on Friday and she had never seen or heard of it before and said she was going to recommend it to one of her other patients who is also struggling with injections. Apparently she does it in the shower !

Started of on 6 units. Increased by 2 every 3 days and it started to kick in at 10. DN suggested I stick to 10 for now, and I am going back to see her in 3 weeks.

Friday was the first day since I got diagnosed in 2012 that I remained in the green ALL day, apart from one reading at 8.8 at about 11:00pm.

I have just ordered a Food and Blood sugar log book from Amazon so I can keep a more detailed record of how the foods I eat and the time I eat them affect me.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1717005837

The log book I received from the DN does not give me enough space to write down thins like the times or food. Not many pics of the inside of the book are on Amazon so when it arrives I will take some pics and post it on here. It may help someone else!

Libby3781

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Libby!

I'm pleased to say that my Tickle Flex arrived approximately 2 weeks after I first ordered it.

Before it arrived I was using a cube of ice to numb the area. First time I used the Tickle Flex I felt it, so I am now using the ice beforehand as well.

I showed it to my DN on Friday and she had never seen or heard of it before and said she was going to recommend it to one of her other patients who is also struggling with injections. Apparently she does it in the shower !

Started of on 6 units. Increased by 2 every 3 days and it started to kick in at 10. DN suggested I stick to 10 for now, and I am going back to see her in 3 weeks.

Friday was the first day since I got diagnosed in 2012 that I remained in the green ALL day, apart from one reading at 8.8 at about 11:00pm.

I have just ordered a Food and Blood sugar log book from Amazon so I can keep a more detailed record of how the foods I eat and the time I eat them affect me.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1717005837

The log book I received from the DN does not give me enough space to write down thins like the times or food. Not many pics of the inside of the book are on Amazon so when it arrives I will take some pics and post it on here. It may help someone else!
Hi Tinker,

That’s good to hear, so far so good. I’ve never thought of numbing the area beforehand. I’ve personally found it’s got easier the more I’ve used it (TickleFlex). I’ve also found it seems to take me a lot less time to administer than it did prior.

Unfortunately, I’m currently on 30 - 32 units daily. Only administer at bedtime. I’m seeing my DN again on the 25th September. I am anticipating being given another insulin to take when I eat.

Currently, no matter what I do my bg levels rise. My diet is relatively healthy. I’m vegetarian but each fish, love salad. I rarely each foods extremely high in sugar, my downfall is bread. I love bread, but that said I don’t eat tones of it. I’ve bought a book from amazon to help me count carbs, and I’ve also got a food & blood glucose book ready to use.

My DN has told me not to stress too much yet as I’m away a lot over the next few weeks. I’m hoping once my holidays are over the bg levels will come down as I’ll have better control over food & drink etc if that makes sense. I’m hoping to have a baby in the not to distant future, so I have to get my bg levels under control and consistent.

Please keep me posted on you’re progress. Well done so far xxx

XxTinkerxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi Tinker,

That’s good to hear, so far so good. I’ve never thought of numbing the area beforehand. I’ve personally found it’s got easier the more I’ve used it (TickleFlex). I’ve also found it seems to take me a lot less time to administer than it did prior.

Unfortunately, I’m currently on 30 - 32 units daily. Only administer at bedtime. I’m seeing my DN again on the 25th September. I am anticipating being given another insulin to take when I eat.

Currently, no matter what I do my bg levels rise. My diet is relatively healthy. I’m vegetarian but each fish, love salad. I rarely each foods extremely high in sugar, my downfall is bread. I love bread, but that said I don’t eat tones of it. I’ve bought a book from amazon to help me count carbs, and I’ve also got a food & blood glucose book ready to use.

My DN has told me not to stress too much yet as I’m away a lot over the next few weeks. I’m hoping once my holidays are over the bg levels will come down as I’ll have better control over food & drink etc if that makes sense. I’m hoping to have a baby in the not to distant future, so I have to get my bg levels under control and consistent.

Please keep me posted on you’re progress. Well done so far xxx
Do you use the MyFitnessPal app at all? I have been that using that for years and it is brilliant for logging your daily carb intake.

Although you can run off reports, I felt I needed a book so I could see over 2 pages how I did that week as opposed to scrolling through the app.

XxTinkerxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Here is the book and the inside.

Just noticed that if you access Amazon from a computer you can view inside the book. This option is not available from a phone or tablet.

Attachments

• Log.jpg
    Log.jpg
    731.3 KB · Views: 399
  • Inside Log.jpg
    Inside Log.jpg
    854.3 KB · Views: 401

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Injecting Insulin these days are much easier than when I was Nursing years ago and had to administer
subcutaneous and am sure you will or have got used to injecting now xxx

Libby3781

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Injecting Insulin these days are much easier than when I was Nursing years ago and had to administer
subcutaneous and am sure you will or have got used to injecting now xxx

I’ve invested in the TickleFlex, and they have definitely made injecting easier

Attachments

• 488E65D1-E987-4627-B357-71921AAF42A5.jpeg
    488E65D1-E987-4627-B357-71921AAF42A5.jpeg
    185.3 KB · Views: 365

XxTinkerxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I'm "off" the Tickle Flex now. Found some big girl pants and now I dont even use ice either. Go me!

Libby3781

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm "off" the Tickle Flex now. Found some big girl pants and now I dont even use ice either. Go me!

That’s brilliant news.....I’m a wimp, got two TickleFlex’s now. Purely because I’ve now got two types of insulin to take.
Personally, for me I find it easier using the TickleFlex, I can administer th insulin quicker with it than without

XxTinkerxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
That’s brilliant news.....I’m a wimp, got two TickleFlex’s now. Purely because I’ve now got two types of insulin to take.
Personally, for me I find it easier using the TickleFlex, I can administer th insulin quicker with it than without
Sending you hugs. Baby steps though. I never thought in a million years I would be able to do it without some sort of aid. Now I actually look forward to it.