Any Waterskiers Out There Please?

Ceejie_

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all - this is my first post. I've been a member for just over a year and have found these forums and this website fantastic with all the information and advice given. Last July after fainting on two separate occasions after waterskiing I was diagnozed with prediabetes (HbA1c of 42). I'd had tests and the diabetes one was one of those tests. I've been waterskiing for 7 years and really enjoy it however the two fainting episodes came out of the blue. My blood pressure is fine and no other tests came up with any clues as to why this has happened. After being diagnozed I got myself a blood glucose monitor and armed with that and taking up a LCHF way of eating I managed to get my HbA1c down to 39 last November and also lost weight. I haven't been waterskiing for well over a year as I am very anxious I will faint again but I know I must get back on that ski. I just wondered if any waterskiing members would be able to advise me on what I should eat and drink before and after any future waterskiing sessions please. Just to add that on the two occasions I have fainted it has happened about 10-15 minutes after getting out of the water. I seem to remember reading that blood glucose levels may plummet after strenuous exercise and so I wonder if that is what has happened to me. Many thanks all.

Canvaspic

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I know nothing about waterskiing, but it sure looks fun. But perhaps you could try out your theory on an excercise bike or rowing mc. To catch a low, something like the libre would help, but you should still manage with BG monitor. Best of luck getting to the bottom of it.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I seem to remember reading that blood glucose levels may plummet after strenuous exercise and so I wonder if that is what has happened to me
That would make you an outlier as most people report higher readings after exercise. However I would second the advice from @Canvaspic to try it out. Just make sure you have a companion with you who is forewarned. Test every 10 minutes (as well as before the exercise) to monitor what is happening to your blood sugars. Also may I ask where were you waterskiing? Could it have been something to do with over exposure to the sun? I know when I once got sunstroke I almost collapsed before being violently ill for a day.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been known to water ski, it's a very strenuous but fun form of exercise. TBH I don't think trying to replicate via an exercise bike or rowing machine would be quite the same. I have found that my blood sugars drop shortly after a ski session if I don't manage my insulin/carbs before hand (like any form of exercise) however I'm not sure a pre-diabetic or a T2 would suffer that scenario to the same level either.

2 fainting episodes out the blue, might just well be that & never to be seen again! I fainted once pouring cornflakes into a breakfast bowl (as a kid), i still have cornflakes for breakfast :hilarious:

So long as you have someone around you just in case - go for it - whats the worst that could happen? :smug:

Ceejie_

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That would make you an outlier as most people report higher readings after exercise. However I would second the advice from @Canvaspic to try it out. Just make sure you have a companion with you who is forewarned. Test every 10 minutes (as well as before the exercise) to monitor what is happening to your blood sugars. Also may I ask where were you waterskiing? Could it have been something to do with over exposure to the sun? I know when I once got sunstroke I almost collapsed before being violently ill for a day.
Thank you Bulkbiker. I waterski at a lake in Surrey. The weather on both occasions was very pleasant (in July) and it was in the evening. My sister and hubbie will be coming with me if I attempt another ski and I will definitely test my sugars beforehand and afterwards to see what is going on. Fingers crossed!

Reactions: slip

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you Bulkbiker. I waterski at a lake in Surrey. The weather on both occasions was very pleasant (in July) and it was in the evening. My sister and hubbie will be coming with me if I attempt another ski and I will definitely test my sugars beforehand and afterwards to see what is going on. Fingers crossed!
Could it have been dehydration?

Ceejie_

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been known to water ski, it's a very strenuous but fun form of exercise. TBH I don't think trying to replicate via an exercise bike or rowing machine would be quite the same. I have found that my blood sugars drop shortly after a ski session if I don't manage my insulin/carbs before hand (like any form of exercise) however I'm not sure a pre-diabetic or a T2 would suffer that scenario to the same level either.

2 fainting episodes out the blue, might just well be that & never to be seen again! I fainted once pouring cornflakes into a breakfast bowl (as a kid), i still have cornflakes for breakfast :hilarious:

So long as you have someone around you just in case - go for it - whats the worst that could happen? :smug:
Thank you for your advice Slip. That bit about the cornflakes made me giggle. I will go for it as you say. Think I will have something sugary on hand for afterwards.

Reactions: slip

Ceejie_

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I know nothing about waterskiing, but it sure looks fun. But perhaps you could try out your theory on an excercise bike or rowing mc. To catch a low, something like the libre would help, but you should still manage with BG monitor. Best of luck getting to the bottom of it.
Thank you Canvaspic. Yes waterskiing is great fun and a good form of exercise. I am hoping that those faints will not happen again and I will think positive if I go out on the lake again.

Ceejie_

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Could it have been dehydration?
I had thought of that Bulkbiker but I am usually very good with drinking water throughout the day. I will bear that in mind though and make sure I have plenty of water on hand for a ski session.

Reactions: bulkbiker