Net Carbs

Sprocket 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

Wasnt sure if this was the right place to post as i am still classing myself as newbie, so apologies if its a bit basic.

Am getting to grips with low carb but have just now read about net carbs. Am now wondering is there a way to decipher this from food labels?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

Wasnt sure if this was the right place to post as i am still classing myself as newbie, so apologies if its a bit basic.

Am getting to grips with low carb but have just now read about net carbs. Am now wondering is there a way to decipher this from food labels?

Are you in Europe?

In Europe and probably other places, the nutrition labels show "total carbs" with the fibre already deducted and listed separately. It is "total carbs" you look for.

In the USA they don't do this. They list their "total carbs" still including the fibre, so to find the correct amount of carbs you have to deduct the fibre amount from the total - this is what they call net carbs.

Reactions: Sprocket 2

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Net carbs refers to the USA values, they count fibre separately. If you are in the UK then fibre has already been added to the total carb value.

Reactions: Sprocket 2

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Are you in Europe?

In Europe and probably other places, the nutrition labels show "total carbs" with the fibre already deducted and listed separately. It is "total carbs" you look for.

In the USA they don't do this. They list their "total carbs" still including the fibre, so to find the correct amount of carbs you have to deduct the fibre amount from the total - this is what they call net carbs.

Pipped at the post!

Sprocket 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you in Europe?

Ah brilliant thanks! I am in the UK so will just carry on as i have been

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
It seems to me that people in the US must be .... obsessed (?) with fibre. And with egg whites.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Net carbs refers to the USA values, they count fibre separately. If you are in the UK then fibre has already been added to the total carb value.
I don't think you wrote that correctly.
Labels.png

Reactions: Energize