Blue Badge Holders

RobbLowee1

Can you get a blue badge for your car if yoh have type 1? i know its classed as an unseen disability but so is MS. My father inlaw has MS and holds a blue badge. Many thanks

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you don't have mobility problems, then no.

Robin101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Can you get a blue badge for your car if yoh have type 1? i know its classed as an unseen disability but so is MS. My father inlaw has MS and holds a blue badge. Many thanks
Very unlikely as the blue badge is for those with a disability resulting in reduced capacity for mobility.
Type 1 unless you have neuropathies and severe restrictions on movement doesn't count.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I wouldn't have said MS is necessarily an unseen disability. In your shoes I would apply for a badge because there's no harm in asking. My local authority changed the method of application a few years ago which made it so convoluted that I and many others let the cover lapse but different councils use different methods. Good Luck.

D

Deleted Account

Can I ask why you want a blue badge?
If it is because you struggle to move around, then I would recommend investigating.
If it is because you think it might come in handy to get a "more convenient parking" space, it is likely there are people who are more in need of it and, with type 1 (and no other disability), I would feel I was depriving these people of the convenience they require for quality of life.

Reactions: Robbity

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Can you get a blue badge for your car if yoh have type 1? i know its classed as an unseen disability but so is MS. My father inlaw has MS and holds a blue badge.

Welcome to the forum. I'm not sure how you can compare Type I with MS, MS is not an unseen disability, possibly in it's early days. Type I on it's own will not be deserving of a blue badge.

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A 'Blue Badge' is available to anyone with a range of various disabilities, not just mobility. alone.
I know of several individuals who are either totally blind or sight impared and they themselves hold a 'Blue Badge' It's issued to allow the disabled individual to get around and in the cases that I have just refered to they are the passenger in the vehicle and will have permitted the driver to accompny them under the 'Blue Badge' scheme.
The criteria to qualify, will, as has been already mentiond, often be decided by the various councils to differing standards, so you should check before hand what the criteria are for qualifying both with them and with your GP who will also need to support your claim.

Reactions: Guzzler
D

Deleted Account

The criteria to qualify, will, as has been already mentioned, often be decided by the various councils to differing standards
I believe the criteria should be the same but is interpreted differently. This is being reviewed.
This article explains: https://www.gov.uk/government/consu...blue-badge-scheme-consultation-on-eligibility
The article states "Eligibility under the current scheme is primarily aimed at those who have “a permanent and substantial disability which causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking”. This consultation is seeking views on a proposition to change this criterion."

The online application for Blue Badges is the same regardless of local authority (https://bluebadge.direct.gov.uk/bluebadge/why-are-you-here). This requests the applicant to respond to either of these to qualify:
- I am registered blind (severely sight impaired)
- I get the higher rate of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance
- I get Personal Independence Payment (PIP) with a score of 8 points or more in the Moving Around section
- I get War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement
- I received a lump sum under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme tariff 1-8 and have been assessed as having a permanent disability that means I can’t walk or have considerable difficulty in walking
- I have a permanent disability that means I can’t walk or I find walking very difficult
- I drive regularly and have a severe disability in both arms
- I am applying for a child aged under three who has a medical condition that means they need to always have bulky medical equipment with them
- I am applying for a child aged under three who has a medical condition that means they need to always be near a vehicle

(Sorry, I got a bit carried away with my brief research.)