Trulicity Injections

janemarie71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

Is anyone here taking Trulicity injections? I've just had my first one. Just wondering if anyone has had success with it? I've tried Victoza before and was very ill, so a bit nervous. Thanks x

Fairy09

Hiya Janemarie71,

I had my first Trulicity injection last Thurs so due for my second one tomorrow.
Unfortunately for me it gave me horrendous tummy cramps that first night and since then have felt constantly sick with no appetite.
I've also stopped looking weight and think it's to do with my metabolism as it thinks I've gone on to starvation mode. My DN did say it causes side effects but I can't keep going like this.
I'm going to give tomorrow's injection another go and if I still feel the same next week then shall chat with my DN.

I'm really hoping you don't have these side effects as we are all different but be great if we can keep in touch and compare feelings etc...

All the best with it.
Sarah

Reactions: gary 196

janemarie71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hiya Janemarie71,

I had my first Trulicity injection last Thurs so due for my second one tomorrow.
Unfortunately for me it gave me horrendous tummy cramps that first night and since then have felt constantly sick with no appetite.
I've also stopped looking weight and think it's to do with my metabolism as it thinks I've gone on to starvation mode. My DN did say it causes side effects but I can't keep going like this.
I'm going to give tomorrow's injection another go and if I still feel the same next week then shall chat with my DN.

I'm really hoping you don't have these side effects as we are all different but be great if we can keep in touch and compare feelings etc...

All the best with it.
Sarah

Hi Sarah

Thanks so much for your reply. I'm sorry to hear you are having such horrible side-effects. I took my first injection yesterday afternoon and so far my appetite has decreased (which I'm happy about) but no other effects as yet. I am nervous due to the reactions I've had in the past. It does say that the side-effects of nausea mostly settle after a week, so hopefully this will be the case for you. Has it had a good effect on your BS?

I'd love to keep in touch and share how it's going.

Hope you're feeling a bit better today.

Jane x

Fairy09

Hi Sarah

Thanks so much for your reply. I'm sorry to hear you are having such horrible side-effects. I took my first injection yesterday afternoon and so far my appetite has decreased (which I'm happy about) but no other effects as yet. I am nervous due to the reactions I've had in the past. It does say that the side-effects of nausea mostly settle after a week, so hopefully this will be the case for you. Has it had a good effect on your BS?

I'd love to keep in touch and share how it's going.

Hope you're feeling a bit better today.

Jane x
Hi Jane,

That's good to know that the side effects settle down after a week as it's horrendous.

It seems to have helped bring my BS down which is great.

Are you on any other medication?
I'm on Metormin 1000mg slow release and Jardiance once a day.

I will chat with you some more later but it's my birthday and just had a call to say I've got relatives popping over in 10 mins lol!!

Take care. Sarah x x

Reactions: Hdm10564

janemarie71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Sarah

That's what it says in the info leaflet, so I hope that's the case! That's good re the BS readings, but it's not good if it is making you feel ill. I'm on Metformin SR 2000 mg. I think Trulicity is probably my last med to try before insulin, so I hope it works and doesn't make me ill. How long have you been diabetic for?

Aww Happy Birthday to you! I hope you have a lovely day.

Love Jane xx

loubielou

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,
I started taking Trulicity in July. I felt pretty rough the 1st week or 2, very 'full' and nauseous with very little appetite. I struggled to exercise in the beginning ( I run 2/3 times a week). Things seem to have settled now though. I get full easily- which tbh was a side effect I was looking forward to. I find that liquids are easier to cope with so I have a meal replacement shake at breakfast and soup for lunch. I am losing weight and BS levels are dropping nicely. I'm pretty happy so far. Hope your symptoms settle as well x

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
victoza is a non insulin drug I believe so am asking can this be given to some one after they have been on Insulin or not ?

loubielou

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
victoza is a non insulin drug I believe so am asking can this be given to some one after they have been on Insulin or not ?
I'm sorry, I don't know the answer. You are right in that its not insulin based so potentially yes.

Sal from chi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Pump
I am type 2 and on metformin & insulin. I was given Trulicity as the insulin made me put on weight (1 stone in a year). I have just had my third injection and want to tell people not to be put off by all the negativity out there. It nearly put me off trying it. My levels had been around 8-9 and after just 3 weeks they are down to 5-7. My insulin dose was 48, it’s now 32! I do feel sick in the mornings, but a slice of dry toast and a cup of tea soon sorts me out. I had the heart palpitations in the first week, but they stopped. As I have IBS anyway, I’m fairly used to all the other known side effects, but basically nothing has been that bad. I think it’s brilliant for me. I have lost 4lb and hope my reduced appetite is here to stay.

loubielou

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am type 2 and on metformin & insulin. I was given Trulicity as the insulin made me put on weight (1 stone in a year). I have just had my third injection and want to tell people not to be put off by all the negativity out there. It nearly put me off trying it. My levels had been around 8-9 and after just 3 weeks they are down to 5-7. My insulin dose was 48, it’s now 32! I do feel sick in the mornings, but a slice of dry toast and a cup of tea soon sorts me out. I had the heart palpitations in the first week, but they stopped. As I have IBS anyway, I’m fairly used to all the other known side effects, but basically nothing has been that bad. I think it’s brilliant for me. I have lost 4lb and hope my reduced appetite is here to stay.
Glad its working for you too Sal. I'm 9 weeks in now, I still have some nausea but I agree a cuppa in the morning and it tends to fade. I've lost a stone so far so really happy.

Cameron2337

Greetings from Melbourne Australia. I have had my first dose of Trulicity this morning and looking forward to the coming months as my body adapts.
I have been on Byetta for the last 12 months and insulin twice daily prior to that so the thought of one needle a week is an exciting concept for me.
Hopefully there are no initial unpleasant side effects., I was fine when I stopped the insulin and started on Byetta so am hopeful this change in medication will be the same.

Sal from chi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Pump
Glad its working for you too Sal. I'm 9 weeks in now, I still have some nausea but I agree a cuppa in the morning and it tends to fade. I've lost a stone so far so really happy.
The symptoms have been worse this week, but still nothing I can’t handle. Diarrhoea, sulphur burps, acid reflux, but my sugar levels remain stable around 6-7. I still can’t eat as much as I used to, but I’m not losing much weight. Maybe the fact that I am still on insulin isn’t helping? Anyone else using Trulicity with Metformin and Insulin?

loubielou

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just back from an appointment with the DN. HB1AC in May was 63, today it is 50. I am a very happy bunny!

Sal from chi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Pump
Just back from an appointment with the DN. HB1AC in May was 63, today it is 50. I am a very happy bunny!

Well done you! How does this relate to dg/ml? I can’t find a conversion table that makes any sense!! My surgery still uses numbers like 7.4 or 6.8.

Reactions: loubielou

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well done you! How does this relate to dg/ml? I can’t find a conversion table that makes any sense!! My surgery still uses numbers like 7.4 or 6.8.
The Hba1c number is not measured in mg/dl so that may be what is confusing you :).
One graphic that shows the old Hba1C (which I suspect your surgery may be using), the more modern Hba1c (that has now been the preferred one for many years), mmol/l and mg/dl is here: https://mobile.twitter.com/Diabetescouk/status/342654280404189184/photo/1

loubielou

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think it will be 6.7 Sal, I have attached the chart that I used to convert.

Attachments

• conversion_chart.jpg
    conversion_chart.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 608

loubielou

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The symptoms have been worse this week, but still nothing I can’t handle. Diarrhoea, sulphur burps, acid reflux, but my sugar levels remain stable around 6-7. I still can’t eat as much as I used to, but I’m not losing much weight. Maybe the fact that I am still on insulin isn’t helping? Anyone else using Trulicity with Metformin and Insulin?
How are things going now Sal?

Sal from chi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Pump
How are things going now Sal?
Hi Loubie Lou!
The side effects have all gone, but sadly so has my reduced appetite! . I am on holiday at the moment, struggling (and failing) to keep to a sensible intake. I have no scales here, but I know my weight has increased by quite a bit. I’d like the nausea back to be honest! My sugar levels are still good compared to what they would normally be. I need to take myself in hand as I have my first blood test and review when I get back, since starting Trulicity. How about you?