Anti-inflammatory steroid injection

mayoburt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi people I had the above injection yesterday in my knee. Had ti go see my GP today because I have a virus but my problem was that this morning my BG was 14.5 on getting up and after 2 small slices if protein bread went to 17.9 my readings have not dropped much at all. Mentioned to my GP about the injection and he said that steroid can mess with BG levels (great) I have had single readings for the past 12 months going on the low carb diet and now
this has anyone else experienced this

D

Deleted Account

Absolutely!
To give you an idea of the affects, having type 1, I was able to counteract the steroid affects with 40% extra insulin for the next 4 days.
The BG affects left after a few days.

However, the next time a physio suggested a steroid injection, I insisted we tried alternatives to avoid this.

Fingers crossed your injection was a one-off, your knee improves and your BG returns to normal.

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Too many medical appointments
The winter months, it’s cold when you’re bald!
Hi people I had the above injection yesterday in my knee. Had ti go see my GP today because I have a virus but my problem was that this morning my BG was 14.5 on getting up and after 2 small slices if protein bread went to 17.9 my readings have not dropped much at all. Mentioned to my GP about the injection and he said that steroid can mess with BG levels (great) I have had single readings for the past 12 months going on the low carb diet and now
this has anyone else experienced this

Definitely! I have 8mg steroids IV before my chemo then am meant to take 3x2mg steroids for 3 days after.
On the day of chemo, BG 6.6 in morning, too high for meter to read before bed. Next few days difficult to manage and effects of steroids usually resolved after 4 days. Just in time to start all over again!

I’m assuming your GP helped you to decide whether the benefits of the injection are worth the spike in BG.