Normal blood sugar after a binge on cake?

Nicel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m on day 18 today of the Newcastle diet and I’ve struggled this week but kept up low carb and I’m testing for ketones and I’m burning fat well. Today I had my worst day. I had two cakes oops anyway I tested my blood two hours after and expected it to be really high as the other week granola spiked it to 18. It was 7 so I did it again and it was 6.7. it possible that my pancreas is starting to work again? How can it be normal? I came off metformin and I’m on no other medication. My hba1c was 72 3 weeks ago

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What were you before the cake?

It is possible the cakes spiked you early as they were most likely quick release with a lot of sugar, and by 2 hours you had passed the peak and on the way down. It is also possible you hadn't reached your peak and were still on the way up. Did you test after 1 hour, and again after the 2 hour mark? Your insulin resistance could also be improving.

It is impossible to know I'm afraid. Hopefully it is your insulin resistance improving.

Reactions: Nicel and ziggy_w

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
Sometimes something very sweet can produce your system into releasing stored insulin, not a thing to make a habit of.

Nicel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No I didn’t test after one hour. I’m finding this diet harder and harder to do now and I’m on holiday next week so I can imagine I may have another indulgence. I will endure I test before and an hour after to see. To be fair I was eating so much chocolate and cake before this at least it’s an occasional thing now. I’ll keep trying to give it all up. It’s just so hard changing a habit of a lifetime

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
No I didn’t test after one hour. I’m finding this diet harder and harder to do now and I’m on holiday next week so I can imagine I may have another indulgence. I will endure I test before and an hour after to see. To be fair I was eating so much chocolate and cake before this at least it’s an occasional thing now. I’ll keep trying to give it all up. It’s just so hard changing a habit of a lifetime
Maybe consider switching to LCHF.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been considering doing that. How many calories a day should I have on that though?

No need to count calories if you restrict the carbs sufficiently. Just count the carbs, and eat enough protein and fats to keep you from being hungry.

Reactions: Nicel

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Nicel - My speculation would be thet on the ND, your body would be depleting your usual quick release energy stores, as well as burning fat. Your cake would likely, in my view, just go some way to "recharging" those resources - a bit like a rechargeable battery.

Reactions: Nicel

dipsydo

We are all different and trying not to be a Casandra but what you may find that your fasting BS tomorrow is higher is than you expect . I find that if I have a bit of a carb binge my BS will come down quickly but seems to increase my morning sugars . I think it is because as I am effectively low carb that the unexpected sugar which is not being used gets cleared into the liver which then releases it next morning when in my case my insulin response is much poorer than later in the day. Hope you find this is not the case with you.

Reactions: Sirmione and Nicel

Nicel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We are all different and trying not to be a Casandra but what you may find that your fasting BS tomorrow is higher is than you expect . I find that if I have a bit of a carb binge my BS will come down quickly but seems to increase my morning sugars . I think it is because as I am effectively low carb that the unexpected sugar which is not being used gets cleared into the liver which then releases it next morning when in my case my insulin response is much poorer than later in the day. Hope you find this is not the case with you.

Me too. I will find out in the morning. Felt I’ll since I ate them at lunch as not had any wheat for 18 days and now my tummy’s sore and bloated and I think I’ve just confirmed something which I’ve thought for a while that I am also intolerant to wheat. Definitely not worth eating cake if I feel like this.