pump settings for FIASP

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
Hi Guys, I am changing to Fiasp and have read a few things about settings.
Can I ask from your experience- how much has your basal dropped with the Fiasp and also what duration have you got it set at- someone said 3.5 but that seems quite long. Should it not be 2?
thanks
I have had my pump on porcine for so long just feeling a little anxious
what settings are yours on?

Reactions: kitedoc

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When I changed from Novorapid to Fiasp, I used the same settings. My cgm showed that Fiasp lasts 3.5 hours rather than the 4 hours for Novorapid.

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
When I changed from Novorapid to Fiasp, I used the same settings. My cgm showed that Fiasp lasts 3.5 hours rather than the 4 hours for Novorapid.
thanks- my pork is at 6.5 so cant leave my settings the same - so glad for some info

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
sorry another question please - how about basal - do you make changes 30 miins before or 1 hour . On my procine I have to do 2 hrs before so a bit of a change. thank you for your time

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My basal changes are made 2 hours before the rise or fall in blood sugars, just the same as for novorapid.

fairylights

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I changed from humalog to fiasp and kept my settings the same, but quickly found I had to increase both basal and bolus a bit. For me I have the active insulin time set to 3 hours. Basal changes an hour or more. It took me wee while to get used to it, almost like starting on the pump again, but was definitely worth the pain.

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
I changed from humalog to fiasp and kept my settings the same, but quickly found I had to increase both basal and bolus a bit. For me I have the active insulin time set to 3 hours. Basal changes an hour or more. It took me wee while to get used to it, almost like starting on the pump again, but was definitely worth the pain.
thanks. Sometimes what the hospital suggests doesn't work and experienced people can really help

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
I tried chromium previously with great effect so am going to start that at the same time so insulin requirements should drop

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
My experience with Fiasp is that my basal requirements increased by about 20% and my carb ratio eventually increased by about 30%-40%.

The other thing to be aware of is that the "real" duration of insulin action (i.e. how long it remains in the system from 0 to max to 0) on Fiasp is about 6-7 hours, while the Insulin action time (the period over which you can observe things happening) is more like five hours. (Read this for more info https://www.diabettech.com/insulin/...n-action-dia-times-we-use-and-why-it-matters/)

You should absolutely never set the DIA in a pump to 2 hours or 3 hours. It's simply not physically possible to get the insulin out of your body in that time, as it takes about 55 mins to clear 50% of any insulin added (i.e. a half life of 55 mins).

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
Thanks everyone for the advise- so if I understand correctly - longer acting carbs and fatty food will need combo bolus- would you apply this to granny wholewheat products? - ie using wholewheat pasta rather than white pasta or granary bread rather than white bread.

I will start a food diary so I can see how it affects different things as it is like being 4 again and learning to carb count.

MinaRotter

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you Google action times for fiasp, there are quite a few graphs showing action time. It peaks earlier than humalog etc but lasts about the same time. I didn't change any settings going from humalog to fiasp in a pump - left action time at 4hrs and normally make basal changes an hour prior to fall/rise.

What I did notice, unfortunately, is that I lost almost all hypo warnings with fiasp and if hadn't had cgm, dread to think what would have happened. BG got down to 2.5mmol/l and felt nowt!! It also gave me pretty large sore lumps at my cannula sites after just 24 hours or so. I stopped using it after 3 weeks.

Everyone's different but it didn't suit me. I went back to humalog

Last edited:

MinaRotter

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks everyone for the advise- so if I understand correctly - longer acting carbs and fatty food will need combo bolus- would you apply this to granny wholewheat products? - ie using wholewheat pasta rather than white pasta or granary bread rather than white bread.

I will start a food diary so I can see how it affects different things as it is like being 4 again and learning to carb count.

I think you have to see what suits you. I only ever dual bolus for fatty meals. Indian takeaways are the worst and I often split 30/70 and extend the 70%over 4 hours.

When I first started pump treatment 10 years ago I was told at the time I MUST split all boluses. After a while I realised doing this was sending my BGs soaring after meals and now I rarely split a bolus. Even stuff like brown rice and porridge I don't split. But you will have to see what works for you

D

Deleted Account

When I changed from NovoRapid to Fiasp, I moved all my basal profiles (I have different ones for different types of exercise) by 30 minutes, pre-bolused just before I ate (with NovoRapid it was 40 minutes before eating) and made no change to my bolus doses.
I also reduced the duration by 30 minutes. I understand Fiasp overall lasts as long as NovoRapid but there seems to be less "on board". As I am a grazer who takes 8 or 9 boluses per day, I was finding it was miscalculating my "top up boluses" and I was going high.
Another thing I notice is that Fiasp does not last as long as NovoRapid. I am quite sensitive to insulin (my daily total dose is less than 30 despite being a carb lover) and find the Fiasp becomes "unstable" (it appears to stop working) about 75% the way through the vial. So I have to be more diligent with BG testing.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When I changed from NovoRapid to Fiasp, I moved all my basal profiles (I have different ones for different types of exercise) by 30 minutes, pre-bolused just before I ate (with NovoRapid it was 40 minutes before eating) and made no change to my bolus doses.
I also reduced the duration by 30 minutes. I understand Fiasp overall lasts as long as NovoRapid but there seems to be less "on board". As I am a grazer who takes 8 or 9 boluses per day, I was finding it was miscalculating my "top up boluses" and I was going high.
Another thing I notice is that Fiasp does not last as long as NovoRapid. I am quite sensitive to insulin (my daily total dose is less than 30 despite being a carb lover) and find the Fiasp becomes "unstable" (it appears to stop working) about 75% the way through the vial. So I have to be more diligent with BG testing.
Funnily enough, I have also noticed that my blood sugars tend to rise as I near the end of a vial of Fiasp. Now I know it's not just my iffy blood sugars!

Reactions: Kim Possible