How do high sugar spikes make you feel?

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sleepy, but also like I have a blocked up nose at times. If its a rapid rise then I start to feel anxious for no reason. That's usually the first clue that something isn't right!

Reactions: briony1
D

Deleted Account

Depends what I am doing.
If I am on the couch, watching telly, I feel sleepy.
If I am in a meeting, trying to concentrate, I feel distracted
If I am at the gym, trying to finish 30 minutes on the treadmill, I feel out of breath and my legs feel like huge weights.
If I am in bed, trying to sleep, I feel sleepy but my mind is active so I cannot sleep.
If I wake up with a high BG, I feel slightly clammy.

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They dont really make me feel any different if i am honest

Hypos on other hand have a big impact, feel sleepy and listless. I get the usual signs of hypo, dizziness, sweating and confusion. I sometimes get a rather strange sign as well. I feel like i need to go to the loo for a number 2, very strange!!!!!

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
High bloods make me feel meh, belly bloats and a lifeless feeling, grumpy and short with people, if I'm working on the ladders when I'm, finished I always feel I've climbed more than I have and my foot arches ache a bit.

I don't like them much at all....

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Tired out however I also know the best way to bring it down is to get a move on.
Gardening walking cleaning the car etc are all jobs that get done if I'm on the high side.
Despite feeling tired I have the strength of will to do something about it.
There are a breed of people on here that claim exercise sends their levels up......not so me.

All the best
Tony

Reactions: briony1 and Juicyj
D

Deleted Account

I feel annoyed waiting until I can take the next correction dose
How long do you wait before you take a correction dose?
I appreciate we have to be very careful not to stack but I wondered if you were twiddling your thumbs (frustratedly) for 4 hours or whether you are correcting earlier.

I confess I am impatient and will correct at least every hour if necessary.
And increase my dose when I am over 15 as this makes me insulin resistant.

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My BG before formal diagnosis via HbA1c (done with chum’s meter) was 24.7 I think. I felt fine as always. Never had a hypo.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I feel annoyed waiting until I can take the next correction dose
Also curious about this, do you track your doses in an app like MySugr or anything? That’ll keep a record of how much insulin and carbs you have on board, and you can top up a dose a little without waiting until your next meal. If you know how much insulin you have on board at any time, you can stack a bit, making sure there isn’t too much to make you hypo.

Reactions: CranberryIce

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My BG before formal diagnosis via HbA1c (done with chum’s meter) was 24.7 I think. I felt fine as always. Never had a hypo.

Hi there.

Long term high BGs (when they creep up.) one may gain a tolerance for.. Think of it a little like a "fuctioning alchaholic," as opposed to the occaisional drinker? Of course the damage due to the high blood sugar (or in the case of an alchaholic, alcahol.) is being done.
Fluctuating BG levels in the short term can give the feeling something is a bit "off." :) (Though it's advisable to keep BG within safe parameters.)

@kev-w , the ladder thing? I get it. ;) I used to have a round.. :D I wouldn't say I get grumpy though. Just a little "let's get this cordial, social interaction over with..."

Reactions: kev-w

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sluggish and sleepy.

I correct immediately but hate that I have to wait around 1.5 to 2 hours before NovoRapid starts to lower my levels.

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How long do you wait before you take a correction dose?
I appreciate we have to be very careful not to stack but I wondered if you were twiddling your thumbs (frustratedly) for 4 hours or whether you are correcting earlier.

I confess I am impatient and will correct at least every hour if necessary.
And increase my dose when I am over 15 as this makes me insulin resistant.

If at 2.5hrs post eating I am high 9+ I stick in some units, no chance I'm faffing around for 4 hours, and yes I use the Diabetes M app to track carbs IOB etc etc

Reactions: Kim Possible

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know I am high if I have the following personal symptoms

Sticky, or dry mouth syndrome
Weak muscles
Tired feeling
Thirsty and needing to pee a lot

I take a correction as soon as I can usually, been about a week since I went above 10 luckily haven't since, had a few hypos this week and can get a blistering headache when I get a hypo which is a symptom ive developed which I did not used to have, once my sugar goes back up, headache gone

K

Knikki

For the last 5 hours I have running up around the 10-13 and to say "I'm rather annoyed " is an understatement (note I have NOT had cake) and with 3.5 insulin IoB I'm now really annoyed