Bread....

Indy1282

Sometimes if I am running a bit late I will grab a sandwich for lunch. I generally try to stay away from it.

I always take the right insulin to match my carb but i always spike too high even after 3 hours. I go for granary or wholemeal with a chicken or ham filling.

I was thinking it could be a delayed spike as it's a low GI food - possibly.

D

Deleted Account

It could be the fat in the filling (ham, cheese or any sauces you have with the chicken) which delay the carb absorption and cause the spike.

Do you find you crash before the spike? If you are taking the right amount of insulin but still high after 3 hours, it suggests the insulin peak comes before the carb peak.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Best bread ive had funnily enough to prevent spikes and help regulate my blood sugar is this

IDShot_540x540__11___49968_zoom_axmr-e7.jpg

*medium slice*

At 9g carbs per slice, compare that to the Thick white unrefined hovis I used to eat at 22g a slice

Reactions: kev-w

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Best bread ive had funnily enough to prevent spikes and help regulate my blood sugar is this

IDShot_540x540__11___49968_zoom_axmr-e7.jpg

*medium slice*

At 9g carbs per slice, compare that to the Thick white unrefined hovis I used to eat at 22g a slice

Gerroff my loaf :p

I use the same bread too :)

Indy1282

It could be the fat in the filling (ham, cheese or any sauces you have with the chicken) which delay the carb absorption and cause the spike.

Do you find you crash before the spike? If you are taking the right amount of insulin but still high after 3 hours, it suggests the insulin peak comes before the carb peak.

No I dont crash before. I have eaten a white roll for lunch and I dont get the spike, hence why I thought the low GI breadmight be the reason.

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I only discovered those loaves a few months back, before then I was eating M'sons wholemeal medium @ 13g a slice :)

Only thing I found that helps my sugars stay level but I want to try that bread above now haha

D

Deleted member 308541

Where in supermarket diabetic heaven can I find this bread?
Hahahahahaha! Very doubtful you will get HB anywhere in the UK.

It's manufactured at Southport in southern Queensland, and sent around the country frozen, all Go Vita health food stores sell it which is where I get it from.

Another Australian member said it can be purchased at IGA supermarkets.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Downside's the price @ 80p a loaf in Morrisons.

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hahahahahaha! Very doubtful you will get HB anywhere in the UK.

It's manufactured at Southport in southern Queensland, and sent around the country frozen, all Go Vita health food stores sell it which is where I get it from.

Another Australian member said it can be purchased at IGA supermarkets.

Well it looks like to me, I am going on a massive trek around the town centre, to find an alternative!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I do miss a nice crusty roll :hungry: