Confused on different normal ranges.

Mark A.

Hi! I'm Mark and I'm new to the forums. I was tested for Fasting Blood Sugar. It says on the result that I'm still on the normal range. I gave my results to my Pulmonologist(was there in the first place for my asthma check up, he decided to request a FBS test for my upcoming hernia surgery this coming October) and he said the results are normal. But when I checked it on a website(mayoclinic.org), it turns out that i'm on the pre-diabetes range. And I also found on this website(diabetes.co.uk) that says I'm on the normal range. I messaged the laboratory regarding the results and got no response. Please enlighten me.

Additional info,
I am 29 years old, 5ft. On August 08, 2018, I was 92kg(hospital's weighing scale). I was at the ER because I experienced heart palpitations and was diagnosed with electrolyte imbalance.

August 21, 2018 I experienced shortness of breath with tingling on head, face and both arms. I thought that was an asthma attack that's why I went to a pulmonologist on August 22.

Currently I am 80kg(our weighing scale). My pulmonologist adviced me to reduce weight before my hernia surgery. I reduced my weight by reducing my food intake and portion control, no exercise. I still can't exercise well because of my hernia.

Here is my result. Thank you.

39891727_232888657387127_9205760716731056128_n.jpg

Attachments

• 39891727_232888657387127_9205760716731056128_n.jpg
    39891727_232888657387127_9205760716731056128_n.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 166

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Mark
You were in hospital and presumably a bit stressed when having your blood taken?
This can often lead to the results being higher than normal.
If you are really worried you could maybe ask your doctor for an HbA1c test which will give you an indication of your blood sugar levels over the past 3 months and is what is used here in the UK for checking and diagnosis. It gives a far better idea of where you stand in regard to Diabetes than a solitary finger prick test which just shows where your blood sugar was at that exact moment.

Mark A.

Hi Mark
You were in hospital and presumably a bit stressed when having your blood taken?

I'm not sure if I'm stressed at that time but I'm sure I was really hungry that time because they told me to fast for 8 hours. I'll tell my doctor for the HbA1c test. before my Hernia surgery. Thank you bulkbiker!

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
when I checked it on a website(mayoclinic.org), it turns out that i'm on the pre-diabetes range.

Personally I don't think self-diagnosis via the internet will be helpful.

You will also find that the guidelines as to what levels constitute a diagnosis are different from country to country.

Also a single fasting test in isolation cannot be a definitive diagnosis of anything.

As @bulkbiker advises, if you do have worries then obtaining a proper test and diagnosis would be the best course of action.

Mark A.

You will also find that the guidelines as to what levels constitute a diagnosis are different from country to country.
Ahh I see. That's why the 2 websites that I found has different ranges. I will have a proper test and diagnosis on my next appointment. Thank you.