Accidentally frozen Tresiba!!!

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Aargh, currently on my 3rd day on holiday in Turkey and put 2 pens of Tresiba in the fridge. The fridge has malfunctioned and partially frozen my insulin today. Every time I push the pen top it doesn't work! Will the insulin still be ok to use once it has thawed. It's not quite frozen solid, just enough to restrict the flow

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd be trying to get new, but assuming that's not trivial I'd give what you've got a go - at least if it's fast you find out fairly quickly if it's working or not.

(edits - ok, it's not fast. Well, suck it and see anyway...)

Last edited:
Reactions: porl69

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Panic over, I think! Just put it in a glass of cold water and after 15 mins the pen started working. Will be checking the Libre a lot tomorrow. Also asked a friend here who happens to be a para medic and he said it should be ok. Panic over....for the moment

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Probably won't work anymore. 'Lucky' it's Tresiba, because it works so long you have extra time to find new insulin. So sorry. Hope you'll find a solution tomorrow morning and still have a wonderful holiday!

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @porl69. If you read the pamphlet insert with the insulin it states that the insulin is inactivated by freezing. On that basis, the insulin is best thrown out and new unfrozen insulin which has also not been exposed to > 30 degrees C.

Reactions: porl69

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm worried @porl69, there's a chance it won't work at full strength, fingers crossed hard that it's ok mate, postage wise Royal mail offer a 3 -5 day delivery time from the Uk which limits your options.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Thank you for all your replies. I awoke to a 2.6 this morning. But that's the beer lol...a few jelly babies and fine. Will keep you up to date over the next few days.....

D

Deleted Account

Sorry to read of your problems.
It's not something I have ever experienced on holiday because tents don't have fridges (at least not the type of tents you carry on your back to the next campsite/field.
I guess that's another ad for Frio pouches!

In the meantime, I am keeping my fingers crossed for you ... and wondering if you have found cool corner of the hotel room for your pens rather than risking another frozen fridge day.

Reactions: kev-w and porl69

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Sorry to read of your problems.
It's not something I have ever experienced on holiday because tents don't have fridges (at least not the type of tents you carry on your back to the next campsite/field.
I guess that's another ad for Frio pouches!

In the meantime, I am keeping my fingers crossed for you ... and wondering if you have found cool corner of the hotel room for your pens rather than risking another frozen fridge day.
Thank you. Yeah they are now in a cool drawer in the bedroom. It wasn't frozen solid....Just enough for it not to be pushed out when depressing the pen top. 10 minutes in cool water and it was fine. BGs have been fine today. See what tomorrow brings lol.
Yep frio bags are next on my list

Bassiette

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
candy etc
Should replace it i don't think it may be effective at all

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Howdy!

As long as it was not more frozen than, that you could get fluid out from the ampoule quite easily , it will probably still have effect. Only problem is, that the insulin's effect is probably NOT 100% anymore...

Edited a little later: Eh, forgot to say I have some experience...:D

Last edited:
Reactions: EllieM and porl69

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Howdy!

As long as it was not more frozen than, that you could get fluid out from the ampoule quite easily , it will probably still have effect. Only problem is, that the insulin's effect is probably NOT 100% anymore...

Edited a little later: Eh, forgot to say I have some experience...:D
It seems to be doing ok. Fingers crossed I have got away with it. The libre has never been scanned so much. 1st time in 47 years I actually panicked