Type 1 Can diabetics get tattoos

Danielle Rafter

I've been thinking of getting one since the age of 16, I am now 17 but want to get one next year when I'm 18 but I am aware that some diabetics can't have things like shaving foam or something that's what my mum told me because it does something. I'm a bit worried about it but everyone gets worried but I'm just scared because I've been a diabetic for 14 or 13 years. Can anyone help me?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi,

Try entering 'tattoo' in the search bar top right to see how many threads we have about tattoos and the number of forum members with tat's.

Reactions: Jaylee
D

Deleted Account

Your comment about shaving foam intrigued me as it is something I have never heard of being a problem with diabetes.
I had to google it "shaving foam diabetes".

And ...

I am still intrigued; I got no hits.
Nothing about the foam and the only shaving and diabetes hit explained:
Warnings about beauty treatments, including waxing, laser hair removal treatments and massage – or any treatment involving heat – are given as a general precaution to people with diabetes.

The reason for this is partly related to the complication known asneuropathy (nerve damage), which can lead to a lack of feeling, usually in the feet and legs, although it can occur in other body parts too. As a result of this, a person may not be aware that something is burning them until the damage is done.

These products carry a health warning so they are covered in case of legal claims against them, but there is also a need to warn people who may be vulnerable. Always ask your diabetes nurse or doctor if you are in any doubt.​

So, nothing that will change my shaving habits.

(Sorry for the tangential addition.)

Last edited by a moderator:

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been thinking of getting one since the age of 16, I am now 17 but want to get one next year when I'm 18 but I am aware that some diabetics can't have things like shaving foam or something that's what my mum told me because it does something. I'm a bit worried about it but everyone gets worried but I'm just scared because I've been a diabetic for 14 or 13 years. Can anyone help me?

Is your Mum telling you porkies?? ;)

Danielle Rafter

Your comment about shaving foam intrigued me as it is something I have never heard of being a problem with diabetes.
I had to google it "shaving foam diabetes".

And ...

I am still intrigued; I got no hits.
Nothing about the foam and the only shaving and diabetes hit explained:
Warnings about beauty treatments, including waxing, laser hair removal treatments and massage – or any treatment involving heat – are given as a general precaution to people with diabetes.

The reason for this is partly related to the complication known asneuropathy (nerve damage), which can lead to a lack of feeling, usually in the feet and legs, although it can occur in other body parts too. As a result of this, a person may not be aware that something is burning them until the damage is done.

These products carry a health warning so they are covered in case of legal claims against them, but there is also a need to warn people who may be vulnerable. Always ask your diabetes nurse or doctor if you are in any doubt.​

So, nothing that will change my shaving habits.

(Sorry for the tangential addition.)

Thank you for this information, mostly didn't know about the waxing but know about the nerve damage of legs and feet because I have to get my feet checked everytime I have a annual review to check if my nerves are ok and my circulation too.
It's ok don't worry about the tangential addition

Reactions: Kim Possible

Danielle Rafter

Is your Mum telling you porkies?? ;)

I don't know but I do know that she worries about me a lot but yes I know you would of a mother because it's an instinct, a reflex that you would do to protect your child. I'm 17 and my baby sister is like a daughter to me, I hate seeing her get hurt by falling over or anyone bulling her but she's 6 and she looks up to me like a mum and I do get why because I'm pulling her away from fights from my brother which some are funny but go way to far but that's kids we were once like that pulling hair and all sorts.