need advice what would you do in my situation

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
so iv been a diabetic for many years when i was diagnosed i went to A+e with extreme high sugars i use to be on humulin m3 switch to novorapid and levemir so iv been fighting with my doctors and explaining somthing is not right with my body my sugar level is was 10 and my basal insulin ran out and i know its normal for a diabetic type 1 sugar to rise high if there is no basal and you need basal to survive in body for a type 1. so even if i have no basal is run out my levels are flat i test and reapeted this many times over last few years maybe i have somthing else wrong with my body aswell as diabetes im on levemir insulin basal thats lasts 24 hours and iv eaten without insulin and sugar rise and doesnt come back down that shows im defo diabtic or some type iv been battling with the doctors they are not helping me. would you be concerned of what im saying about.liver not dumping glucose iv have attached a link pic of my libre showing me staying flat at 10mmols i went to sleep at 10mmol despite missing my basal for 15hours plus https://imgur.com/a/pumwQ6n i know you guys are not doctors but as diabetic to another diabetic do you think this is somthing to be concerned off .

crystal32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
So your blood glucose doesnt increase past 10 after eating and without Insulin? Both basal and bolus? Just to make sure I read correctly..

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi it does rise past 10 problem is ajusting my basal i know this sound very wierd and odd but when my basal runs out my liver is not dumping any glucose out which very worrying other day it remainded flat even basal ran out for hours and im defo not type 2 im just puzzled im meant to be a type 1 im just not sure what to do now

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @static192, Most of us on or who have been on levemir find that is does not last 24 hours. So a split dose, morning and evening works better. I know that does not seem relevant to your readings but just a thought.
But that aside, 1) could your Libre readings be due to faulty devices? Have you checked these readings against a finger prick glucose meter.? Also have you been referred to an endocrinologist to see if he/she can answer your questions.?

crystal32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It is kinda weird.. But in my opinion doesn't sound too bad, especially if drs arent alarmed. Maybe u need Basal insulin twice a day am and pm? If u r concerned about not being within target blood sugars but at least your sugars arent dangerously high even after the basal runs out, everyone is different but my son is on NPH every morning it has its peak times and then lantus at nite the 24 hour flat no peaks he's also only 8 years old.if u give yourself a correction dose with bolus insulin at times u check blood and it has stayed flat for hours does that bring it down? I probably am no help sorry lol it does sound a bit odd tho! Like u almost dont need insulin too like a type 2 if u can stay a consistent number for hours

Reactions: kitedoc

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How much Levemir are you taking? the amount of time a basal insulin lasts depends, quite a lot, on how high the dose is.

Your basal may have passed its peak, but there may be a tail end still working, which keeps your blood glucose steady. I think the amount of time it lasts is different for different people, and maybe it just works longer for you.

You have to feel happy with the insulin you are using, and if you aren't it's better to try and find something that works better for you, but maybe that's why.

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi guys thanks for reply guys i checked usimg finger pricks and differnt meter and it is right my glucose is not rising i even had missed my basal for 15+hours to make sure and my levels will stay flat

Irene Banting

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Meanness. Unkindness. Not much else.
How much Levemir are you taking? the amount of time a basal insulin lasts depends, quite a lot, on how high the dose is.

Your basal may have passed its peak, but there may be a tail end still working, which keeps your blood glucose steady. I think the amount of time it lasts is different for different people, and maybe it just works longer for you.

You have to feel happy with the insulin you are using, and if you aren't it's better to try and find something that works better for you, but maybe that's why.
Just be carefull if you decide to test without the Levemir for longer periods of time. As Alison says the bigger the dose the longer it may last, but unless you are giving rapid acting, the Levemir will run out eventually and you don't know when this will happen, and you don't want it happening in the middle of the night !

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Another thought @static192, if you have more than a certain degree of kidney problem, the insulin may not be excreted at the usual rate leading to longer action. Perhaps if not done yet, seeing your doctor to discuss this may be useful.

Reactions: Shauny111

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was reading about levemir the other day, and it works differently to lantus, and some other basals. Because it attaches to albumin, some of it goes into the liver, and that is the process by which it reduces glucose that the liver releases.

I'm a bit tired today, so I can't give you a detailed explanation, and I can't find the link to what I was reading. This is nothing to worry about, because people who aren't diabetic also have insulin in their livers, and other places too. But this process might offer a way forward to finding an explanation about why your liver isn't releasing glucose, after you stop the basal.