How can I sweeten my coffee?

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have really tried to have my coffee with cream without a sweetener. I tried using Xylitol but it gave me indigestion. Does anyone have suggestions.

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello carol43!
Yup, xylitol works for many as a laxative, including some other "tummy problems"
I'd recommend stevia, but as almost all artificial sweeteners, it could give a little bit of an off-flavor (<- right word?).
On the other hand - stevia is one of the very few artificial sweeteners, that do not have any known negative health effects.

Edited to add: do not have any known negative health effects TO DATE.

Last edited:
Reactions: Energize

Googie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you using instant coffee or fresh ground coffee? If fresh ground then it maybe worth trying a speciality coffee roaster who often bring out the natural sweeter flavours in their roasting process. caravan, square mile, Campbell &symm, volcano coffee works, are just a few worth trying. They can be googled and offer home delivery

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I agree with @Googie . I've tried several different coffees, some of which are too bitter to be drunk black, but others with a less 'burnt' taste are perfectly palatable on their own, so I'd imagine it may help you if did try to go without sweeteners.

Apparently, most major coffee chains get their beans over-roasted, as it's the only way to guarantee consistent flavour on large scale. Small-scale roasters should be able to help.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have really tried to have my coffee with cream without a sweetener. I tried using Xylitol but it gave me indigestion. Does anyone have suggestions.
Saccharine. Cheap, tiny tablets to carry around. Tastes like sugar to me - but then before diabetes I never tasted sugar.

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Xylitol! Great stuff, tastes like sugar. Interesting laxative effect but I like a good clearout
A teaspoon in coffee has no effect on me.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I find a good shot of Double cream on top keeps everything pretty sweet.
Used to be sugars + coffee but now have managed to ween myself off and now everything "tastes" a bit too sweet.
Good luck.
:)

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My only real indulgence is a spoonful in tea and coffee. Apart from my home made chilli sauce and lemon squash (not in same bottle) which is also reliant on xylitol.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @carol43,

I agree, I would also be hard for me to give up sweetening my coffee at bit.

Have you tried erythritol? It is also a sugar alcohol with a glycemic index of zero. Taste is similar to xylitol, but is a bit gentler on your tummy.

Alternatively, inulin is an option. Haven't tried it myself, but have noticed that @ianpspurs seems to be very happy with it.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've used pure stevia drops and erythritol/stevia mixes, e.g. Truvia, as these don't (or shouldn't!) affect glucose levels or have any unpleasant "gastric side effects" and are based on natural sources. As a dog owner I avoid xylitol as it can be a killer if they get hold of even very small amounts.

Robbity

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I fancied trying erythritol but was concerned about taste. I have real issues about artificial sweeteners and taste. Xylitol tastes like sugar which is why I have stuck with it. If someone with similar issues with taste tells me erythritol tastes like sugar, I will gladly try it.

james11

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I found stevia sugar very helpful...go easy its very sweet.....i cut it out altogether now but occasionally i find my black coffeee gets bitter so i tried some coffeee flavourings vanilla etc which just give that little sweet taste when i need it

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Saccharine. Cheap, tiny tablets to carry around. Tastes like sugar to me - but then before diabetes I never tasted sugar.
I have been using Splenda tablets to sweeten my tea and coffee for years. No aftertaste, no issues.

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you. However my partner would say the same...tastes fine. However she has no problem with sweeteners, I want to throw up when I taste them. So I need to know if a recommendation comes from someone who can’t abide aspartame and any and all products of this type. If not, then I won’t try it.

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you. However my partner would say the same...tastes fine. However she has no problem with sweeteners, I want to throw up when I taste them. So I need to know if a recommendation comes from someone who can’t abide aspartame and any and all products of this type. If not, then I won’t try it.

I try to stay away from ALL artificial sweeteners if I can. Have you tried monkfruit? Obviously try it out in something like coffee first, test with your meter every 15 minutes for 2 hours to see if it spikes you. If it doesn't and you like it, youre good to go. I find both erythritol and xylitol have an unpleasant cooling effect and aftertaste. if you have pets, make sure they don't get any xylitol, as it's deadly to them.

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was aware of the potential effects of any substance with “itol” as an ending. Mannitol was used in hospitals to clean out gut prior to gut surgery. Retired nurse who remembers the old days!
Taste is everything for me, I can accommodate a burst of gut activity if I overdo the xylitol . Provided it tastes good, then sudocrem deals with the other end!! Sorted...

Edited by Mod

Last edited by a moderator:

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Watch out for ANY sugar alcohols as they ALL commonly have laxative side effects.
According to my research erythritol, which can be found naturally in some fruits or fermented foods, doesn't normally have the same effects as other polyols as our bodies process it slightly differently, (e.g. see Wikipedia entry here) and it's one of two alternative sweeteners - the other being stevia - that are generally recommended as safe for diabetic use. I certainly haven't ever had any issues with it in nearly 5 years use. YMMV though.

@rosco2 I can't abide aspartame either! But I also don't think that erythritol or stevia actually taste the same as real sugar, and certainly on the few rare occasions that my body decided it might like to have a (definitely false!) hypo it wanted the genuine article and not some substitute that tasted sweet...:wideyed: But they do satisfy my sweet tooth!

Stevia (aka Sweet Leaf) is as natural as you can get if you grow your own plants and then dry the leaves and convert to powder...:cool: I remember seeing a post on the forum from someone who did/does this

Robbity

D

Deleted member 308541

Saccharine.
Reminds me of the days of sugar rationing it's one of the things on my never to buy list, alongside powdered eggs.

I do not put any sugar / sweeteners in my black coffee, I like the strong flavour of the coffee.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reminds me of the days of sugar rationing it's one of the things on my never to buy list, alongside powdered eggs.
Just as well about the powdered eggs. For your information: I think you can stop worrying and can leave powdered eggs off your Never to Buy list without risk. I suspect they have long been totally unobtainable.