More food less hypos

Bravo2zero

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfit thin people who think all over weight people are unfit
hi I've not posted for a while but my question is my original Hba1c was 146 4 years ago. I reduced it quickly to 50 the its raised slowly to 54. I decided a couple of weeks ago to radically change my food intake. I've reduced the amount and type eating more nuts, less bread etc. My readings have dropped but I'm not sure if by too much. I'm regularly getting high 4s on a morning and the same 2 hrs after eating porridge and taking 1 of my 3 metformin and 1 Alogliptin. Do I need to eat more or ask for the metformin to be reduced Thanks

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
I'd definitely ask for a medication review, are you getting hypo symptoms?
Take care

Bravo2zero

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfit thin people who think all over weight people are unfit
Hi,
I'd definitely ask for a medication review, are you getting hypo symptoms?
Take care
Hi yes I do. It's all very strange my meter appears good and if I eat more it goes up accordingly
My average readings indicate a Hb1 of around 46. Is that possible in a short space of time
X

Bananas 2

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
IMO, if you have an opportunity to reduce medication, DO IT! As a T2, you may even find you can eventually eliminate the need for meds if you have the right diet and obtain a healthy weight. That's the whole point of eating low-carb and low-GI, isnt it? So yes, avoid bread, rice, potato, cereals, etc... essentially all starchy, sugary, high-GI, high-carb foods. Reduced meds = reduced risk of dangerous lows.... off meds = no risk of dangerous lows.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Yes hypos in type2s indicate too much insulin being available to your body weights need. Which can encourage worse IR.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Definitely ask for your medication to be reduced as I had the same issue and as soon as I dropped the Metformin I was fine.