Buona sera from Italy.

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
Hello dear friends. I’ve been fairly lax in posting while I’m enjoying a Roman Holiday. Drove down from Pisa and Florence to Rome last week. It was there that my my trusty SD Codefree died on me. I went to the back up battery only to find that had also expired. Nothing to do but visit a chemist armed with google translate, and ask for help. I was sold a new machine and shown to a private room while they walked me through its use. All good again, apart from the new machine reading in mg/dl. The converter on this site helped.
Apart from an exploratory pasta dish, I’ve remained within good numbers. I’m in Naples now so there will definitely be a pizza on the menu soon. I had plenty of good wishes for this this holiday, and I’m not going to waste it by eating “safe”. I’ll be offering a hardly used Cera-Chek to a good home when I get back.
Ciao!

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't forget to have a wonderful Italian ice cream, the best in the world.
Sally

gettingamoveon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was in Florence recently. I cheated on my LCHF, sugar-free diet the first, second and third nights: pizza at Caffe Italiano twice and once in an inferior place. Ice cream at GROM and Vivoli. I never cheat in the UK. Not worth it. All named places strongly recommended ... to the non-metabolically challenged, at least.

On the fourth day, I was overwhelmed with a sense of sorrow, anxiety and despair; I was listless and weary; my legs ached, and my energy levels were as they were pre-diagnosis.

Anyway, a good 24 hour fast followed by a dinner of steak, salad and cheese and I was right as rain again.

Last edited:

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Don't forget to have a wonderful Italian ice cream, the best in the world.
Sally

Ok. Maybe just the one. ( I should add that we’ve walked over 50 miles sightseeing in Tuscany, Rome, Pompeii etc, so that is burning off excess sugar!)

Reactions: Prem51 and Energize

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I was in Florence recently. I cheated on my LCHF, sugar-free diet the first, second and third nights: pizza at Caffe Italiano twice and once in an inferior place. Ice cream at GROM and Vivoli. I never cheat in the UK. Not worth it. All named places strongly recommended ... to the non-metabolically challenged, at least.

On the fourth day, I was overwhelmed with a sense of sorrow, anxiety and despair; I was listless and weary; my legs ached, and my energy levels were as they were pre-diagnosis.

Anyway, a good 24 hour fast followed by a dinner of steak, salad and cheese and I was right as rain again.

All sounds very sensible. As my DN says, “ you have to have a life”. I managed to put away a 1.2 kg Chianina steak in Montepulciano last week. No veg, no pots, just meat! Awesome!

gettingamoveon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All sounds very sensible. As my DN says, “ you have to have a life”. I managed to put away a 1.2 kg Chianina steak in Montepulciano last week. No veg, no pots, just meat! Awesome!

I'm not averse to a kilo of good beefsteak myself. My wife thinks it's excessive. Women. Don't care. Two other nights, I just ate what I call the Norcino and Pecorino diet. With a good red. Love that, too.

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'm not averse to a kilo of good beefsteak myself. My wife thinks it's excessive. Women. Don't care. Two other nights, I just ate what I call the Norcino and Pecorino diet. With a good red. Love that, too.

Can’t be beat! We’ve been invited to a bbq with the neighbours tomorrow. Some Italian team v Liverpool. I’m taking my favourite Montepulciano Nobile and a bottle of Grappa. Despite me with no Italian and him with no English, I think it will be fine!

Reactions: gettingamoveon

ivan 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Pasta is not a synonym for Italian food.There are regions in Italy where pasta is not eaten at all.
Carbohydrates kill us.

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
You made me laugh with the 'norcino and pecorino diet'!

Reactions: nomoredonuts

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Pasta is not a synonym for Italian food.There are regions in Italy where pasta is not eaten at all.
Carbohydrates kill us.

Bit of a generalisation! Firstly I agree that there is more to Italian cuisine than pasta and pizza. (I have rather a lot of experience in this area.) which is why I have largely stayed within the sensible boundaries of antipasti, meat and things like melanzane parmiggiana, cooked in our flat. Tonight for our last meal I just had a superlative Scottona T-bone steak, weighing in at a shade over 1kg. And a halfway decent bottle of red, and a stupid amount of Grappa.
I won’t bother to test my sugar partly because I can’t see straight and partly because I know I haven’t overdone the carbs tonight. Carbs sure aren’t good for us but they’re not completely off the menu.

MrCuddlyMoses

Hello dear friends. I’ve been fairly lax in posting while I’m enjoying a Roman Holiday. Drove down from Pisa and Florence to Rome last week. It was there that my my trusty SD Codefree died on me. I went to the back up battery only to find that had also expired. Nothing to do but visit a chemist armed with google translate, and ask for help. I was sold a new machine and shown to a private room while they walked me through its use. All good again, apart from the new machine reading in mg/dl. The converter on this site helped.
Apart from an exploratory pasta dish, I’ve remained within good numbers. I’m in Naples now so there will definitely be a pizza on the menu soon. I had plenty of good wishes for this this holiday, and I’m not going to waste it by eating “safe”. I’ll be offering a hardly used Cera-Chek to a good home when I get back.
Ciao!
You should be able to change the settings of the suger reading lol

D

Deleted member 308541

I don't think there are even any regions in the UK where pasta is not eaten at all.
Up to 1970 when I left sodden Surrey in the UK, I had never eaten proper pasta till I got onto the ship I came to Australia on.

I had a different shape pasta every lunchtime, and was shown how to get it onto a fork so that it stayed there and not down the front of my shirt.

Applies to garlic as well.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Up to 1970 when I left sodden Surrey in the UK, I had never eaten proper pasta till I got onto the ship I came to Australia on.

I had a different shape pasta every lunchtime, and was shown how to get it onto a fork so that it stayed there and not down the front of my shirt.

Applies to garlic as well.
Times have moved on in the UK since then, the next village to mine has two Michelin three star restaurants.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I went into a supposedly normal pub in Bray with my brother, didn't realize it was a Heston's
I have been to The Crown a lot as my daughter lived across the road for about 2 years. I have been treated to The Hinds Head, another Heston's, a couple of times and it would be my first choice of a restaurant anywhere, as long as I wasn't paying.

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I had the Quaking Pudding there once. Probably a bit carb-y now though!